“Memorable experience”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“Memorable experience”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Los Poblanos is a very special place -- worth a trip to Albuquerque. We stayed there on Christmas Day and were so taken with it that we booked another night at the end of our trip. There is a rustic elegance about Los Poblanos, tinged with a whiff of nostalgia for the 1930s agricultural and educational experiment the owners are committed to preserving. You are transported not just away from the city but also back in time. The charm of the place comes from the beautiful setting in a stretch of ranch country along the Rio Grande facing the Sandia Mountains; from the stylish 1930s hacienda architecture (with a hint of Art Deco) and authentic Spanish Colonial decor; from the outstanding farm-to-table food; from the sounds and smells of a working farm; and from the thoughtful, attentive service. A real gem.

Room Tip: The Sims suite is charming.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I visited with my spouse and our older teen children for two nights during the winter holiday season. We chose this inn for its commitment to ecological values--an inn on an organic farm that makes its own body products and grows and serves local foods, how great. We travel a lot though mostly tied to work (we are a lawyer and a professor) and were impressed by the unique values of the place. It was as gorgeous as everyone posting here has said, the rooms and area are lovely, the Townie bikes and helmets available for riding the nearby North Valley river path which you can ride all the way down to the city are excellent (I noticed there are even two for little kids), and all the young people working there are really sweet and cool, adding to the charm of the place. But we had a near disastrous experience with the heating and fireplace systems, used according to their posted instructions, that resulted in two of us getting sick from exhaust fumes and all four of us camping out in one room for one night, two on the floor. On the first night we made a fire in one of our two rooms and watched a movie. The flu was clear and open, and the smoke was drawing up appropriately, as per the posted instructions. The room was not smoky. But after two hours I felt lightheaded and nauseous. Thinking it was just me, my spouse and I walked back to our room, when I realized I was lightheaded and shaky from fumes. I went back to the room where my teens were settling in and we had had the fire going, got them up, and we tried to air out the room until the embers were spent. It was a 20-degree night. The room became very cold during that hour, and the fire was still glowing, so we could not turn on the heating unit, a forced-air system that would have drawn air out from the the fireplace and into the room. It was after 1am by then. With no night staff present and no other options (this is a non-commercial area, so no other hotels are nearby, which ordinarily would be a positive), we rolled up their quilts and marched over to my room, where they slept on our (hardwood) floor each rolled up in a blanket. This was especially unfortunate as it was our only vacation together that was not tagged onto to a work trip in over a year, and we wanted enough rest to have an active day. Luckily each teen had a blanket. It had been hard to get a second quilt in the first place--I'd called ahead twice (first after booking then the day before) to say my son would be sleeping on the pull-out couch and my daughter in the bed, they could not share a bed, so would they please leave bedding as we would arrive late--but when we arrived at 10pm there was no manager on duty and no extra blanket anywhere in the room (just a cotton throw at the foot of the bed), so we used a phone answering service to get a quilt sent over--took a couple calls, but someone did bring one. The next night we did not use the fireplaces, of course, but in our room where no fire had been made either night the air intake system for the heating unit drew in fireplace exhaust, apparently, from the other units around us where fires were burning. This was not just ambient smell as our room re-filled with the odor every time the heater kicked on and brought in new heated air, though we had never lit a fire in that room. This seemed like a different problem, as the first night there was no strong odor. In the morning after I had checked out and reported the first night's problem for the second time, this time to the manager who settled my bill, I went back to the room to get something I had left behind, and the groundskeeper was in the first room looking up the flue with a flashlight. I joined him. The flue was open and clear. I went outside and I looked at the positioning of the intake and exhaust pipes on the roofs, and I could see what might have been the second night's problem: perhaps the fireplace exhaust vents are too close to the intake ducts. One or the other needs to be extended. If there's any breeze at all in the right direction, it seems to me, exhaust may be getting sucked into the clean-air intake system. I am no expert but that is my guess. I conveyed this hunch to the groundskeeper and maintenance person, a very sweet guy. I post here because I see now our experience was echoed by a former guest posting here last month who was traveling with a baby, and yet the problem had not been fixed a month later by the height of the winter holiday season, judging from our experience and that of at least two other guests. Like the other poster, my sense was the management isn't really responding adequately to a grave health issue--the staff person I told on the first day did not report the problem to management at all, as on checkout the manager acted surprised by my report and said she had not been told, though she also said that another couple had the same problem on our second night. I had heard two parties reporting fireplace and heating system problems at breakfast as well, so it appears they are shrugging their shoulders and sticking their heads in the sand on this. Maybe they never slept in their own rooms during full house--if they felt as sick as I did they would fix the problem. In the one posting about this I found here, the poster remarked that the manager said everyone in the place had complained about heating/fireplace exhaust malfunction on the night of their visit. The Inn is running a serious risk of having someone get very ill here. I saw a heating and cooling system company truck on the grounds the first day. Maybe they'll get it figured out. But until then I feel terrible for anyone who does not figure out they should leave the room if they feel sick in a way that suggests fume inhalation. To top this off, on checkout not only was there no reassurance that the problem wold be addressed, the young woman made no attempt was made to adjust our price or tell me that management would be in touch to apologize and tell me what had been done to address this problem. In fact she argued with me about the fact that we had paid for our dinner the night before on my spouse's charge card (which had been run--they had also taken all of her personal information on a special form where she had to hand-write address, etc., in order to charge the dinner). She insisted I needed to pay again, this time on my card. It was strange to be asked to pay for the same dinner twice in a complicated way, unprofessional and weird. But the real issue here is getting a room that poses such a serious health risk where the management is already was aware of their problem from former guests--that should have been deducted and followed by a phone call from the owners telling us what they did to correct the problem. CO2 is a serious matter for an inn. They continue to risk the health of their guests, which is ironic for a place that is committed to healthy food and environmentally sound business practices, and listed on a prestigious national inn registry and Fodor's top ten.

Room Tip: service was mixed: good and bad. how do you rate a room where you get CO2 exposure and nobody respon...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank Lisa C
Los Angeles
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Los Poblanos is magical!!! Located outside of Albuquerque NM, it's one of the best places I've ever stayed. I hope everyone gets to stay at the Inn at least once in their lifetime! Surrounding the grounds are an amazing assortment of gardens (most original to the inn). The entire staff is amazing and they have a small boutique that sells the farms own organic lavender products.

My wife and I love Los Poblanos!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Pontiac, Michigan
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Los Poblanos is a perfect long weekend get away. Then Inn is historic, and the amenities in the Farm Houses are brand new. We stayed in Farm House 8, which had a wood burning fireplace, two comfy queen size beds, and full bath! Also, Los Poblanos sits on a Lavender Farm so there are lavender infused touches throughout the Inn.

Los Poblanos has everything that you would expect from historic Inn (farm animals, walking trails, gourmet breakfast), with modern comforts (Free Wi-Fi and Direct TV). That's why I like to call it "Five Star Camping."

Greensboro, NC
Reviewed November 28, 2011

This place is fantastic!! From the atmosphere, to the rooms, to the restaurant and gift shop!! It was so so nice!!! We will definitly stay here again if ever in Albuquerque again!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Minneapolis
Reviewed November 27, 2011

We were close to booking a generic room at an average blah hotel in Albuquerque -- which was all we could find -- but then lucked into this place. We wound up with a great midweek deal with large two-room suite and dinner included (and always-free breakfast) for $200/night, and honestly it was worth much more than that. The staff was great, especially the farm crew, who had genuine farm work to do but went out of their way to entertain our daughter (4). The grounds were beautiful, despite being just five minutes from downtown. The dinner was nothing too fancy, just very fresh and delicious, especially the beef French onion soup. We really are in no hurry to get back to Albuquerque except to stay at Los Poblanos again.

Peoria, AZ
Reviewed November 14, 2011

After seeing rave reviews in Fodors and Frommers, we thought we would have a wonderful experience at Los Poblanos. We were wrong. While the inn has many nice touches and breakfast was well done, the service is poor. The entrance is grand with beautiful old trees lining the road. When we arrived, it was not easy to find where to check in. There was no sign and no person to ask! I tracked down a maid who led me to Christina, the person responsible for checking guests in. She was polite but not warm and welcoming.

We stayed in the Girard Guest House, a nice suite. The faucet is old style with hot and cold water separate -- very inconvenient. The water was either scalding or freezing. Our fireplace did not work properly, smoking up our room, a dangerous situation for our baby. When we tried to contact someone about this issue and other issues (about a dozen times), we never ever were able to reach anyone live! When I saw Christina walking across the lawn, I ran after her to inquire about the fireplace. She told us not to use it. We were disappointed by her response and requested that someone look at the fireplace. The next morning, she said that everyone experienced the same issue.

In the room, there is a note that informs guests that tips for the housekeeper are welcome. We don't mind tipping but notes such as these are distasteful, particularly when service is not very good. For example, our housekeeper did not replenish our coffee and tea supply, turned our thermostat way down, did not clean our tub (necessary for bathing a baby), moved the pack n play and video camera, etc. When we returned home in the evening, we tried to request coffee and tea. My husband happened to reach an answering service. Brittany, who answered the phone, was extremely unhelpful. She said that no one could help us. My husband told her that her response was not acceptable. She told him to call housekeeping. There was no number on the phone or elsewhere. She then told my husband to look at the binder for the number. He did and the only number in the binder was the number that he called. When Brittany answered again, my husband informed her that he did as she requested and was back to square one. She was unwilling to call anyone for help, but my husband insisted. The inn manager told her to tell us that there was no one who could help but we were welcome to help ourselves in the kitchen. My husband had no idea where the kitchen was and when he found it, had to rummage through drawers to find what he was looking for.

We have run across other guests who were similarly exasperated by not finding anyone to help. One lady said, "I can't find anyone who works here. I just need some salt." Another lady was using a step to work out and told us that apparently there is a gym but she was not able to find it because no one was around to help her.

There were some good experiences. My 2 year old loved petting the farm animals. The woman at the farm was incredibly warm and welcoming. The food was prepared well. The property is lovely. But, when no one is around to help, ever, an inn cannot possibly sustain a high rating. The lack of service was so extreme that it was laughable. Guests must fend for themselves.

5 Thank JoycePeoria_AZ
LosPoblanos, Manager at Los Poblanos Historic Inn & Organic Farm, responded to this review, November 17, 2011
Dear JoycePeoria_AZ,
Thank you for your feedback on your stay. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with our service. However, it is good to hear that you enjoyed the breakfast and visiting with the animals on the Farm.
We take comments like yours very seriously, especially since we have been so highly rated by other guests. We want to be sure to live up to the standards that you expect from us, as well as ensuring that every guest has a comfortable and enjoyable stay.
We are a small inn, and we try to be at our guests disposal as much as possible. We realize that with a small staff, it can be more of a challenge to be available for guests at all times.
We will treat this feedback as an opportunity to spend more time training our employees (and answering service!) so that they can better assist guests in the situations you described.
Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience and we assure you that the issues you mentioned will be resolved. We hope you will consider us for a future visit the next time you are in Albuquerque.

Nancy Kinyanjui, Inn Manager