“Delicious Fresh Cuban food in a coffeehouse ambiance”
Review of Guava Tree Cafe

Guava Tree Cafe
Ranked #109 of 1,769 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Central American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch
Description: A great little spot to taste authentic flavors of the Caribbean, Central and South America, made from scratch daily. Share, meet new people, and talk Spanish to the friendly staff. Take it home, call in from work, and come back. Repeat!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Delicious Fresh Cuban food in a coffeehouse ambiance”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I love the vegetarian arepas-- soft corn cake surrounding sautéed peppers, plantains, fresh cheese. Warm soul food. Cafe con leche was sweet and creamy. My 19 year old son loved the Carribe turkey sandwich and said it was very filling. The staff are so warm and friendly. We'll be back!

Flagstaff, Arizona
“Quick and easy lunch.”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had the Cuban pork sandwich and Arepa Pabellon. Both, delicious and filling. Still, we couldn't pass up trying the guava pastry.

Inexpensive, filling, and delicious. Small little eaterie in a quaint and colorful building on Yale, near Smith's Grocery.

Visited September 2012
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Just like I hoped it would be...................”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Its in the university area, in a small, clean, dive sort of place. No significant monetary outlay on decor. Who cares? The service is sort of self serve and I am rating myself poorly in that regard. As for the food, it is wonderful. The arepas were fabulous and certainly the best I have had in ages. We also shared a cubano sandwich that was very authentic and if I hadn't driven to this place I might have thought I was in Miami.

We began with the "La del Perro", an arepa made of shredded beef, avocado, sweet plantains and cheese. YUMMY!! As I mentioned, we followed with a cubano sandwich which was toasted perfectly. All of the flavors combined in a delicious offering that will have me going back again. Finally, we ended with the tres leches cake. Served in individual ramekins, the cake was moist, tasty and a great presentation of tres leches. My wife approved and as a World Expert on all things Tres Leches, that is high praise indeed!

So, its not a beautiful space. Our server (Me) was fair at best. But the food was terrific and certainly warrants several more visits!!

Check it out and see if you agree!

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank kkhinnm
co
“Autherntic and Awesome”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I took some visitors from back east there last week. One, who is quite particular about his restaurants, said this is 10, maybe 9.5 because it took 20 minutes to get our food. So if you have time to wait, this place is just fantastic. We had the Cuban type sandwiches. All three were great but we particularly liked the turkey. Best yet is the black beans and rice. Too pretty to eat with salsa and an avacado wedge accenting the dish. Friends tell me their smoothie type drinks are the best too. Very casual place with the super friendly service and passionate cooks who really care.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank pitt1980
Solana Beach, California
“a few good things on the menu”
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I visited this spot a couple of times this month because I was craving the arepas and guava juice. I just wish that they had more choices on the menu. Most of the folks who work here are very friendly (except one woman who always seems kind of stuck up). Service is kind of slow but the arepas and smoothies taste good so I always come here with time to kill when I want a tasty lunch. The cafe is located in a good area near the university but probably better to drive than walk from UNM. Also, they always play good musica movida :) enjoy!

• Visited April 2012