“FEEL LIKE ROYALTY.”

The St. James Tearoom
Ranked #71 of 1,811 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The St. James Tearoom sprang up out of the recognition of a great need in society today: the need to escape the “Tyranny of the Urgent” of our modern day frenetic pace of life, to rest, reflect, and above all, foster relationships in a society that often creates shallow ones. We provide for this need by serving a full, British-style, afternoon tea in elegantly decorated nooks that are perfect for re-connecting with friends and family. We are by reservation only so give us a call or make your reservation online.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My visit to the St James Tea Room was a surprise gift from my husband. I have never felt so pampered. Our server was very attentive and knowledgable without being intrusive. The food was excellent. Scones, cucumber sandwiches, curdled cream, lemon curd, blackberry butter - things I have read about but never got to try. The tea was wonderful - the best Jasmine I have ever had - very flavorful and aromatic. They even have hats you can borrow so you can get the full experience. My husband enjoyed it almost as much as I did. We will definitely go back again. Be sure and make a reservation so you won't get left out.

1  Thank barbara b

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This was my fifth or sixth time to visit the St. James and each time, it is a wonderful experience. I am reminded that we should all slow down and enjoy a little civility and this is the perfect way to do just that. The teas are scrumptious, the food excellent and the service is unsurpassed. It isn't just tea, it is an experience to be savored. It's wonderful for a special celebration with many or a quiet twosome. When there are just two of us, I always request the Styles room. Each room has its own theme and elegance and no two are alike. They can accommodate special requests like decaffeinated tea (which they do naturally right there for you) and other menu items. It is quite something to walk into an adobe building and enter the world of proper English tea time. A very special place, highly recommended!

1  Thank mwsllc33
Reviewed June 8, 2013

My mom and I go every time she is in town. The staff is so gracious it is like stepping back into time. We have always been in the niches because there is only two of us and each one is quaint. The "styles" niche is small. The food and tea is always great. They have great themed teas, so it is different every time you go. Dressing up with a hat does add to the experience and we always find something in their gift shop.

1  Thank FluteGirl128
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I took my wife to the St. James Tea room recently because her friends at work had only great things to say about it and they were right. Although I was the only male there, the atmosphere was very cordial and inviting, with the servers dressed in period costumes and all the rooms decorated in beautifully appointed Victorian furniture. The guests all were dressed up very nicely with beautiful hats and it lent an air of elegance to the whole affair. With two hours to relax and three different teas to enjoy along with an assortment of delicious foods, the whole experience was very refreshing and rewarding. The servers were gracious, kind and attentive but not to the point of being bothersome. The only complaint we had was that some of the other guests were very noisy and one of them, despite the request to turn of all cell phones, took a call, stepped out of her room to talk and had a loud conversation right in front of our room. It would have been nice had the staff ushered her out of the building to talk, but that's the rudeness of the guest and not the fault of the restaurant. Make sure to dress up nicely as you'll look very out of place otherwise! Plus it helps with the whole atmosphere.

1  Thank sandiablonde
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I brought a group of fourteen year-old girls here to celebrate my daughter's birthday. Gah!

Actually, the afternoon was fabulous, even more so because I got to watch their excitement when we were seated in the luxurious Bird and Baby section of the Library, named after the pub that J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis attended for their literary meetings. Pages from The Hobbit and Prince Caspian decorate the walls, a fact that was not lost upon the girls.

We sat on two overstuffed couches enclosed by an ornate privacy curtain, perfect for comfortable and intimate conversation. Our server, dressed in period garb, welcomed the girls and made them feel at ease. She brought us a three-tiered arrangement of tea sandwiches, "savories", breads, and sweets. The savories consisted of tiny steak salads, peppers stuffed with corn and herbs, sausage and pepper stratas, and almond palmiers. The desserts were chocolate nut tortes, strawberry white chocolate basil parfaits, and tiny raspberry pies. Traditional scones with lemond curd and clotted cream were also provided. While not items I would have chosen at a restaurant, all of the food was tasty, high-quality, and well-prepared. There was more than we could eat, and we consider ourselves big eaters.

The teas were the real stars of the afternoon, though. I personally hate hot tea, and was bemoaning the fact that I couldn't have coffee. Well, the St. James gave me a much-needed attitude adjustment. Their tea is not the black bitter swill you find in a box at the supermarket, or even at Starbucks, but rather a fragrant melange of fruit, flowers, and tea leaves. We were served three different types: a black tea served at Buckingham palace, a blueberry tea, and an island tea flavored with coconut. I think I drank more tea in that afternoon than I have in my entire life.

At the end of our tea, our server brought out hot towels soaked in lavender water for us to wash our hands and faces with. It felt wonderful, and we were smelling our hands all the way home.

The gift shop of the St. James is filled with beautiful things to drink, eat, display, and wear, as well as all things "tea". I was happily surprised to find many things were reasonably priced;nice gifts were available for under $20, such as jewelry, decorative boxes, satin gloves, and collector's spoons.

It was a perfect birthday party--I couldn't have hoped for more. Expensive, yes, but so is a birthday at the mall or the skating rink. Our "tea party" was truly special and distinctive--I would recommend the St. James to anyone who enjoys period movies or television shows like Downton Abbey, is interested in British culture, or simply enjoys the finer things in life.

1  Thank saramun