“Great service, shuttles and fabulous rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Parq Central

Hotel Parq Central
Ranked #3 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Great service, shuttles and fabulous rooms”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is brilliantly located in the downtown area of Albuquerque not far from the airport. We rang the hotel when we arrived and they came and picked us up from the airport. The rooms are really well laid out with a bedside ensemble that had drawers, a pull out shelf and small compartments to keep track of travel items. Great shower and bath area. 24 hour tea and coffee available and a wonderful courtyard jacuzzi.
The hotel is pet friendly which I like however I don't want to stay on that floor so ensure you ask for a room not on the first floor.

• Stayed December 2012
NoelleWallace, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Parq Central, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Dear basmoon,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at Hotel Parq Central! We are glad that the location worked well for you and that the complimentary shuttle service was convenient for you. We are pleased that you found the rooms to be well laid out and that the coffee areas and the jacuzzi were enjoyable for you. We are pet friendly, but we are always happy to ensure that guests without pets are able to stay on the upper floors.

We appreciate you choosing to stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Noelle Wallace

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
Las Vegas, New Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We spent Christmas Eve here and really enjoyed it. The hotel is very interesting with a great location. When we got back after going to dinner and a movie there was a stocking outside our door with chocolate, Christmas music playing in the room, and milk, cookies and a letter to Santa on the dresser.

We will definitely be going back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear jeannm,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hotel Parq Central on Christmas Eve. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay. We like to make it special for guests who are away from home for the holiday, so we are happy that you enjoyed the stocking, Christmas music and milk and cookies for Santa on the dresser.

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at Hotel Parq Central and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Tinton Falls, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

The Hotel Parq Central has a reputation for being haunted, since it previously was a children's psychiatric hospital. Believe none of the stories locals will tell you. I didn't see a haunted apparition even once during my two-night stay. Instead, I found a first-class hotel with excellent service and fantastic atmosphere. And ample free parking! I felt welcome from the minute I checked in until the time I left. The surroundings were awesome and intriguing, like staying in a living museum. There were items from the old hospital in glass cases in the hallway corridors, which was a great touch. Also, a friendly upstairs bar with a spectacular view of Albuquerque. The front desk people were very helpful and the complimentary breakfast was exceptional. My only complaint was that the rooms were a little small; I upgraded to a Junior Suite and the three of us did just fine. The Parq Central is centrally located on Central Avenue, right off the major highways of 40 and 25, and is close to Old Town, the University, and Nob Hill. Plenty of excellent restaurants and fun and funky Nob Hill shops just a short distance away. I look forward to going back.

Room Tip: Take a look at your room first to judge if you'd prefer an upgrade.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Joel S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at Hotel Parq Central. We are glad that while you appreciate the history of the building that you were not bothered by the stories you heard from locals. We are delighted that you found Hotel Parq Central to be a first-class hotel with excellent service and a fantastic atmosphere. The history of the building is an integral part of our decor and we are happy that you enjoyed this. The breakfast is something we love to offer our guests and we are pleased that you found it to be exceptional. We are always glad to know that our guests enjoy the neighborhood we are located in and take time to explore the city! We are sorry that the first room you were assigned was a little too small for you, but we are glad that a junior suite worked well for the three of you.

We appreciate you choosing to stay with us during your time in Albuquerque and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

Spent a night here and was not disappointed.

Pros:
- Clean, nicely furnished rooms, large bathroom, and nice soaps.
- Excellent breakfast.
- Nice lobby, fun bar on the roof.
- Area is close (walking distance) to several dining and cafe options.
- Free and easy parking.
- Free, reliable WiFi.

Cons:
- Somewhat of an awkward check-in. Came in at 2pm and given an incorrect room (1 double bed room instead of 2 beds). Went back to the front desk, told us to come back in 2 hours without any apology. Whole thing was awkward.
- Overcharged for our stay, but when pointed this out they corrected it quickly.

Overall great stay and easy to see why the reviews are consistently excellent. A little awkward with check in, but easily overlooked.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear seafoodben,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hotel Parq Central. We are delighted to know that you were not disappointed with your stay. We are pleased that you found the rooms to be nicely furnished complete with a large bathroom and nice soaps. We love offering our guests breakfast each morning and we are happy that you enjoyed it. The Apothecary Lounge offers amazing drinks and a beautiful view of the city; we are glad that you enjoyed this spot as well as the several dining options in our neighborhood. We apologize that your check-in did not go smoothly. The rooms with double beds are often requested, so we are sorry that one was not cleaned when you came to check in. We are also sorry that you were initially inaccurately charged for your stay, but we appreciate you pointing this out right away so we could correct it.

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

I went to a company Christmas party at the hotel. The guest rooms though small were comfortable, very clean and appealing. The party went well at first but the gentleman who bartended had to ask how to make drinks, the beer was warm and the coffee was luke warm. The servers were very good and on top of everything. Dinner was a huge disappointment. we were scheduled for a cocktail hour and then into dinner after. This was discussed with the gentleman in charge at the begining (who was also the bartender). Only half of the food ordered was put out and then we were told that it was because we were late in eating we were supposed to eat at 6:30pm. So tell me if we were supposed to eat at 6:30 shouldn't the food have been out by 6:15 at the latest. When we finished our program after 7:30 we were still waiting for the food to be put out. Most of the food put out was cold, there was no asparagus, no Chicken, no pasta station and no pasta salad and no variety of dessert. We were told it had all be thrown out because we ate too late. Though there were never any chafing dishes or accommodations for the other food items. Really pull the other leg....The GM met with the CEO and the office manager to discuss the shortfalls and disapoinments... He did not want to hear it and had no intention of making it right. The Sales Director did everything she could but had no backing or support from the GM... To say the least we will never utilize the hotel again for either guest rooms or company events and I would recommend to anyone considering the hotel to think twice. It is too bad because it is a very unique and welcoming venue but what a let down.

Room Tip: All rooms seemed to be very comfortable
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Debra S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us at Hotel Parq Central. We are glad that you found the guest rooms to be comfortable, very clean and appealing. We are pleased that the servers for your event took care of you. We are sorry that there was miscommunication regarding the time your meal was to be served. As you stated, our general manager did meet with the woman who planned the event and also the president of the company to resolve the concerns with the execution of this event.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us.

Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

First, I'd like to preface this review by stating that I've stayed in many 5 Star hotels over the years, so I'd say I have a better than average frame of reference when it comes to hotels. With that said, I'd call Hotel Parq Central a very welcome surprise, and I'm not often surprised.

Above all else, the thing that makes Hotel Parq Central stand out from the sea of hotels competing for your business is an obvious attention to thoughtful details. Nowhere is this more evident than when you walk around this hotel, whether it's the lobby, the grounds, the hallways or your room, you notice a shocking level of cleanliness. Everything looks and smells spotless and very well maintained. In fact, this could possibly be the most immaculate hotel I've ever stayed in. I wouldn't say I'm a clean freak or suffer from OCD, but I do notice details and in the Hotel Parq Central, I couldn't find a spec of dirt, grime, lint or crumbs anywhere.

If you are a person that has an eye for detail and notices the little things like the quality of the hardware on the drawers of a nightstand, the thickness of a room's doors and the quality of the bathroom fixtures, prepare to be impressed. Every door, drawer and closet opens and closes with a high-quality action. The door to our room felt heavy and substantial, blocking out all noise from the hallway as well as subliminally making you feel safe. The door blocker itself is even impressive; it looks like it was milled from a solid block of steel. The TV was an LG LCD that appeared to be at least 32" or maybe even 37". Very nice. The bathroom was gorgeous what with it's high quality floors, fixtures and bright open space. Same goes for the shower, which was spacious and had a beautiful, relaxing rain-style shower head that gave great pressure. The curtains and wall treatments in the bathroom and main room oozed quality with their heft and smooth action. See a pattern here?

As per the tips on this website, I requested a courtyard room and was not disappointed. This allowed me to not only avoid the I-25 "scenery", but to also be able to view my car in the parking lot from my room's window (car guys will understand the significance of this). While I can't comment on the noise level on the I-25 side, my room was tomb-like in it's quietness. Not only was this due to the rooms location, but also the materials used in the hallways as well. The walls feel incredibly solid in this hotel (rapping your knuckle on them results in a nice dull, muffled thud), as well as the well dampened floors. In fact, as I walked in awe of the quietness of the hallway as I walked through them, I looked up at the tall ceiling to see not the average acoustic tiles you find in lesser hotels, but nicer, longer panels that I've seen used in movie theaters. Again, this probably means nothing to most people, but for a person with a background in engineering and design, I was delighted to see the details obsessed over.

I would've been enamored with the hotel as it was, but it also happened to have an unexpectadly great bar on the 4th floor call The Apothecary. I was as equally impressed with the selection of single-malt scotch as I was with the fun, local creative drinks on offer, many using fresh ingredients. Once again, as a person who isn't easily surprised, I was delighted with the quality, service and unique selection at The Apothecary. Oh, and the view is great as well.

So, with such a glowing review, what are the downsides? The rooms, although high in quality in furnishings and possessing very tall ceilings, are a bit small. This wasn't an issue at all for my wife and I, however, three could be a company. People looking for a resort experience would be disappointed in the lack of pool and spa. This, again, wasn't an issue for us. Our room possessed an iron, but no ironing board. A call to the friendly front desk ameliorated the problem within 10 minutes. Other than those things, I'd really have to reach hard to find any more negatives about this place.

So to summarize:

Pros:

-Beautiful rooms
-High quality furnishings and fixtures
-Immaculate and spotless condition
-Friendly "there, but not there" service
-Fantastic location right off Central Ave. and I-25
-Extremely quiet rooms
-Great upstairs bar
-Free Parking
-Free in room Wi-Fi
-Free breakfast
-Free shuttle to airport

Cons:
-Rooms a little lacking in square footage
-No in-hotel restaurant
-No pool
-No spa

Overall, this is simply a great hotel that goes the extra mile and lacks the pretentious and scripted "My pleasure!" attitude of the chain hotels in this price range. Speaking of price, this hotel is priced far below what it could be considering all the aforementioned strengths. If you're looking for a nice, quiet hotel that reeks of quality and comfort, The Hotel Parq Central is just the place for you.

Room Tip: Choose a courtyard room to avoid potential noise from the highway. If you enjoy a well-crafted alco...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank cgm9999
Dear cgm9999,

We cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write such a thorough review and for appreciating even the smallest details, such as the door blocker. We are delighted that you were surprised by your first experience with us at Hotel Parq Central. Our team strives to provide the highest level of hospitality and also to maintain our property, as we feel these are both vital aspects of your stay with us. The structural integrity of each fixture in the guest rooms and public areas was carefully considered during the renovation of our building and we did not "cut corners" anywhere. The furniture for the property from the guest rooms to the conservatory and family room were all custom built for the hotel. The shower is important to us, so we are happy that you had consistent water pressure and felt that the shower itself was spacious. We are glad that we were able to meet your request for a courtyard view and that you were able to keep close eye on your car in the parking lot. The Apothecary Lounge is a true gem, located on our rooftop and we are pleased that you enjoyed the view with a single-malt scotch. We are so happy that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you recognizing the attention to detail in our renovation and upkeep of Hotel Parq Central.

Oakland, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

What a wonderful hotel, from staff, to room, to amenities, and location. Ample parking. Lovely outside areas including a hot tub. The staff could not be nicer...and, they will happily shuttle you to Old Town, or other areas nearby, and pick you up! The breakfast is fabulous - not the mediocre buffet one finds at the chains. Homemade quiche (two kinds, during my stay), delicious pastries, fresh fruit, and more. At various points around the hotel you can find self-serve coffee, or tea. The neighborhood is interesting; a hot yoga place is across the street. A popular restaurant on the top floor can provide room service, if desired. Wifi, of course, no problem. The price is a great value. I loved Albuquerque, and this hotel! Oh, and I had the fitness room to myself both mornings!

Room Tip: My room was on the first floor, with the windows overlooking the entrance drive; I'd ask about o...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Barbara_Antle
Dear Barbara_Auntle,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Hotel Parq Central during your visit to Albuquerque. We are delighted that you found the staff to be wonderful and enjoyed your guestroom and the amenities. We are pleased that you enjoyed the grounds and were able to warm up in the hot tub. The breakfast is something we truly enjoy offering and the young ladies who serve the breakfast each morning, also make the quiche from scratch using various ingredients and their creativity. We are happy that you enjoyed the breakfast, coffee stations and were also able to order room service from the Apothecary lounge. Our historic neighborhood has a lot of character and we hope you had a chance to take a class at the hot yoga studio just across the street- it is a really intense workout! We are glad that you were able to utilize the shuttle service and use the complimentary wireless internet access as well. We are thrilled that you love Albuquerque- we think it is a pretty cool place!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Parq Central with us and other travelers. We look forward to seeing you again soon!