“Upscale BBQ”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Upscale BBQ”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

What a nice, pleasant, classy, handmade surprise.

Vanessa throws down some nicely crafted barbecue and does it all the hard way. Her care in well-crafted sides and diet-ruin-worthy desserts (tres leches cake and sweet potato pie) leave nothing to be desired. All burgers are ground in-house, which makes for a great product on the plate.

Service can run a tad slow, but hey, good barbecue does not get made at microwave speed. Sit back, enjoy some house made potato chips and sip on one of the many iced teas, frescas or beers and great food will come at you-

• Visited August 2013

Chimayo, New Mexico
“Best BBQ in New Mexico! Really!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I’ve lived in northern New Mexico for 12 years. The entire time I’ve lived here, I’ve whined about not being able to get good BBQ in New Mexico. While on my BBQ quest, I’ve literally eaten at every BBQ joint between Albuquerque and Taos. Search no more! The Cube is here. The first thing that you will notice when you enter the Cube, is the aroma of smoke and I mean the good kind. It smells so good that by the time that you get to the counter to place your order, you will have to put forth an effort not to drool on yourself. Since I had driven 1 ½ hours to dine at The Cube, I wanted to try as many of their menu items as possible. I had the ribs, the brisket, the pulled pork, the 5-cheese mac & cheese, the potato salad, the baked beans, the onion rings, the Texas toast and the cornbread. The ribs were perfect. They were moist, meaty and tender. The meat easily pulls from the bone but the ribs weren’t mushy or the most common mistake….dry. They gladly accommodated my request to burn a couple of coats of BBQ sauce on my order of ribs. Although, if you prefer the dry rub style, they can do that too. I tried both of the BBQ sauces (regular and hot) and they both were great. The regular was slightly sweet but not overly so and the hot was not so hot as to obscure the great flavor of the meats. Not only was the pulled pork moist, it was some of the most flavorful pulled pork that I’ve ever had. The brisket was respectable as well. The smoking was perfect on the meats. Keep in mind that EVERYTHING is made from scratch, so when they run out of something, there isn’t any more until the next day. The onion rings seemed to be beer battered. Crunchy and hot, made from thick slices of onion. If you are an onion ring fan, you will want to order these as one of your side dishes. The mac & cheese was indeed very cheesy. Obviously made with REAL cheese. My only slight criticism would be to add just a touch more milk to make it a bit more creamy but I would still rate it very high and a good choice. The potato salad was excellent. It seemed to be a sour cream potato salad (a favorite of mine). It was creamy and tasty and they didn’t make the common mistake of making the potato salad too sweet. Good job! Now I understand that food is a subjective thing. So the baked beans were not my personal favorite but I must say that my boyfriend loved them. The baked beans were served in a coffee cup (cute presentation). The baked beans were REALLY meaty. So much so, that there was almost more meat than beans. They were more like a cup of meaty chili with beans (the mid-western stew type of chili). So don’t expect the sweet brown sugar / bacon sort of baked beans. I give you high marks for making a different type of baked beans, even if they weren’t my personal favorite. My boyfriend commented on how the baked beans would be perfect on a cold winter day. He really enjoyed them. The cornbread is a sweet cornbread muffin. The flavor was very good but my muffin was slightly over-baked and a little dry. However, we were there in between peak lunch and peak dinner times, so I’m going to assume that the condition of my muffin is not typical. A little pat of butter on the side for the cornbread would have been a nice touch. The only short fall of the entire meal was the Texas toast. Neither of us cared for the Texas toast. Now, I need to say that, not only do I BBQ, I also bake. I could tell that the bread was homemade. This is a delicious, white, yeast bread, which didn’t come out of a plastic bag from the food distributor. So it IS very good bread. It just isn’t the right bread for making Texas toast. The texture is a little hard and crumbly in the mouth. I would suggest a bread that is a little more moist with a softer crust. I’m also a big garlic fan, so I would have enjoyed a garlic Texas toast vs. the plain (butter only) Texas toast. The menu selection is immense. The other food that we saw coming out of the kitchen also looked great (burgers, fries, etc). Frankly, I don’t know how they manage to offer this vast number of food items and still make them all from scratch. So there are still plenty of other items for us to try on our return trip, including the desserts. Sadly, we just couldn’t consume any more food. The prices were reasonable and the portions were generous. The Cube also has a really nice selection of beers (canned, bottled and on tap). They even have a happy hour on a Saturday! Yeah! To conclude, we loved our visit to The Cube and we will make it a planned stop during all of our future trips to Albuquerque and we will also recommend The Cube to our Albuquerque based friends. You might want to warn those little piggys that we are coming back! Those other BBQ places in Albuquerque should also be put on notice, The Cube here and they are doing it right! If my testimonial isn’t enough to convince you, you should know the gal that took our order at the counter confessed that she had been a vegetarian until she started working at The Cube. Vegetarian no more!

• Visited August 2013
Williston, Florida
“Great comfort food”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I dropped in for lunch after relatives told us about The Cube. We both ordered the "meat and two sides" which comes with a soft drink and bread--all for $8.99. We both had pulled pork. The mac and cheese was creamy, just the way I like it, the fries were hand cut. My husband raved about the baked beans which were loaded with barbecue meat. It's unpretentious, affordable and filling. They offer a variety of meats, aside from the pork, as well as flavored lemonades.

• Visited July 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“Loved it so much, went 2 days in a row!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My BF and I were in Albuquerque for 3 nights and ate dinner twice at the Cube. It's a great BBQ joint. You order at the counter and a server brings it to you. For counter service, the service was quite attentive. They brought out refills and were otherwise attentive.

The portions are decently-sized (the turkey leg is huge, though) and you get 2 sides with your meat of choice. The first night, they were out of a side I wanted. I was glad they had it on the second night, as the collards were very good. I highly recommend!

Visited June 2013
Moorestown, New Jersey
“Pretty cool”
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

We ate here our first night in town. It was a fun, laid back place with live music that night (2 guys and a girl. They were really good!) You order at the counter and they bring the food to you. The staff was ridiculously nice! The food came pretty quick. It was definitely yummy. Not the best BBQ I've ever had but definitely not bad either. The Mac n cheese was interesting. 5 cheeses! I'd eat there again if we lived in town. I think they have a trivia night too which is always a good time.

• Visited May 2013