“This place is a GEM”

Turquoise Museum
Ranked #16 of 173 things to do in Albuquerque
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Museum is Temporarily closed to relocate The Turquoise Museum and its collection of turquoise have been used as a source of information and pictures for over 22 years. Uncover the mystery of turquoise, delve into its’ rich history, learn about the different mines, specimens, and stories of colorful characters at The Turquoise Museum in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Authors of books, magazines, articles, and research papers have all used the museum as a source of information. Its rich repository of turquoise specimens from over one hundred mines, educations, and histories make it a must see in its’ travel exhibits and permanent location in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The museum is still privately owned and operated to this day. The Museum is open for two Guided tours Monday through Saturday, at 11am and 1pm. reservations are recommended space is limited. The Museum is closed Sundays, Holidays and Special days please call for before you come.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed April 23, 2018

Took the tour and found it to be very good. Lots of interesting articles and beautiful specimens. I spent two hours there and couldnt believe it! I learned so much about tourquoise.

1  Thank debkue
Jacob L, Executive Director at Turquoise Museum, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2018

I'm so glad enjoyed the tour! I hope you will be able to come see us at the castle once we get moved i.

All reviews
"new mexico"
in 12 reviews
"santa fe"

Reviewed April 18, 2018

The so called museum was closed when we were there. Only a not so great strip mall store that has added a "museum" inside.

1  Thank mhug41
Jacob L, Executive Director at Turquoise Museum, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2018

I am sorry we were closed when you arrived. I hope you will come visit our new location opening in August, the new museum will have 8,500 sq ft of displays, quite an expansion from our current 6,000. In our new location our hours will be extended, and reservations will no longer be required. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Albuquerque.

Jacob Lowry
Turquoise Museum Executive Director

Reviewed April 17, 2018

I was not aware that you can only go here on a guided tour and those are only at 11am and 1pm. Our tour guide was pretty cheesy and full of bad jokes. The museum is in a strip mall and we almost missed it. The museum itself is very interesting and pretty self explanatory. I would have loved to do this without a tour guide droning on about his extensive knowledge of turquoise. It cost $8 per person so only go if you are either really interested in these gems or if you have nothing else to do.

Date of experience: April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Starting in August the museum will be located in a castle on 2nd street, very easy to find. When we open in our new location, we will begin offering self-guided tours. I hope you will come check it out.

Reviewed April 9, 2018

The tour is great! Its family owned, and it houses a fantastic collection of turquoise. There were tips on how to differentiate between true turquoise and fake turquoise. If you ask, they can tell you what mine your turquoise is from. No point in arriving early as the door is locked until the time indicated on your ticket.

Date of experience: May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so glad you enjoyed the tour! I hope you will get a chance to come seethe castle, we're opening in August.

See more reviews
Reviewed March 10, 2018

If you want to get a great education on gemstones and especially turquoise, visit this museum and take the tour. Our tour guide, Jacob, comes from a family of gemologists. His grandfather traveled the world and built his collection of turquoise which in essence is the museum. You will learn tons about turquoise - where they come from, which mines are the best, which turquoise is the best and why, how they are mined, etc. You will learn about counterfeit turquoise and how to tell a real natural gem. I never had any idea there was so much to know about gemstones and especially turquoise. Our tour lasted about 90 minutes, but it could have lasted another hour, and it would still capture my attention. At the end you expect there to be pressure to purchase something - there was absolutely none. From Jacob there was just pure joy in sharing about his family's history and knowledge with this particular gemstone. A very inexpensive tour. My wife and I certainly got more than we bargained for.

Date of experience: March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very proud of my family, I'm so glad that shows. We love to showcase not only turquoise but classic american hospitality. I really hope you will be back.