Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from $21.00
More Info
from $40.00
More Info
All reviews strip mall jewelry store for sale great collection learning experience answer questions hands on activities santa fe mines jacob stone knowledge tour information displays gems zachary
Selected filters
Reviewed April 18, 2018

The so called museum was closed when we were there. Only a not so great strip mall store that has added a "museum" inside.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank mhug41
Jacob L, Executive Director at Turquoise Museum, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2018

I am sorry we were closed when you arrived. I hope you will come visit our new location opening in August, the new museum will have 8,500 sq ft of displays, quite an expansion from our current 6,000. In our new location our hours will be extended, and reservations will no longer be required. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your visit to Albuquerque.

Jacob Lowry
Turquoise Museum Executive Director

Reviewed April 17, 2018

I was not aware that you can only go here on a guided tour and those are only at 11am and 1pm. Our tour guide was pretty cheesy and full of bad jokes. The museum is in a strip mall and we almost missed it. The museum itself is very interesting and pretty self explanatory. I would have loved to do this without a tour guide droning on about his extensive knowledge of turquoise. It cost $8 per person so only go if you are either really interested in these gems or if you have nothing else to do.

Date of experience: April 2018
Jacob L, Executive Director at Turquoise Museum, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Starting in August the museum will be located in a castle on 2nd street, very easy to find. When we open in our new location, we will begin offering self-guided tours. I hope you will come check it out.

Reviewed April 9, 2018

The tour is great! Its family owned, and it houses a fantastic collection of turquoise. There were tips on how to differentiate between true turquoise and fake turquoise. If you ask, they can tell you what mine your turquoise is from. No point in arriving early as the door is locked until the time indicated on your ticket.

Date of experience: May 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so glad you enjoyed the tour! I hope you will get a chance to come seethe castle, we're opening in August.

Reviewed March 10, 2018

If you want to get a great education on gemstones and especially turquoise, visit this museum and take the tour. Our tour guide, Jacob, comes from a family of gemologists. His grandfather traveled the world and built his collection of turquoise which in essence is the museum. You will learn tons about turquoise - where they come from, which mines are the best, which turquoise is the best and why, how they are mined, etc. You will learn about counterfeit turquoise and how to tell a real natural gem. I never had any idea there was so much to know about gemstones and especially turquoise. Our tour lasted about 90 minutes, but it could have lasted another hour, and it would still capture my attention. At the end you expect there to be pressure to purchase something - there was absolutely none. From Jacob there was just pure joy in sharing about his family's history and knowledge with this particular gemstone. A very inexpensive tour. My wife and I certainly got more than we bargained for.

Date of experience: March 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very proud of my family, I'm so glad that shows. We love to showcase not only turquoise but classic american hospitality. I really hope you will be back.

Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

If you walked by this museum, you might not even give it a second look. It is in a little strip mall by old town. Even after booking our tickets, I might have just kept walking because it doesn’t look like it could possibly be as well done and knowledge (fun knowledge) packed as it is. The family owned museum has some of the most beautiful pieces of turquoise and may know more about turquoise than anyone I’ve ever known that loves turquoise. I’ve been fascinated by turquoise since I was in Colorado as a child, and discovered that it is one of my birthstones (December). My husband just looks at it because I love it... well we both absolutely loved this little museum and the incredibly knowledgeable and personable family that run it. It’s really worth a stop when you’re in Albuquerque, and if you’re already staying at the Hotel Albuquerque or Hotel Chaco it’s walking distance away. You’ll learn something new and make some new friends (who just happen to know everything there is to know about turquoise)!

Date of experience: March 2018
2  Thank KristinR104

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We like to stay hidden for several reasons, I'm so glad you were able to find us. I hope you will be able to come back for a visit sometime.