Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from $21.00
More Info
from $40.00
More Info
All reviews strip mall jewelry store for sale great collection learning experience answer questions hands on activities santa fe mines jacob stone knowledge tour information displays gems zachary
Selected filters
Reviewed March 10, 2018

If you want to get a great education on gemstones and especially turquoise, visit this museum and take the tour. Our tour guide, Jacob, comes from a family of gemologists. His grandfather traveled the world and built his collection of turquoise which in essence is the museum. You will learn tons about turquoise - where they come from, which mines are the best, which turquoise is the best and why, how they are mined, etc. You will learn about counterfeit turquoise and how to tell a real natural gem. I never had any idea there was so much to know about gemstones and especially turquoise. Our tour lasted about 90 minutes, but it could have lasted another hour, and it would still capture my attention. At the end you expect there to be pressure to purchase something - there was absolutely none. From Jacob there was just pure joy in sharing about his family's history and knowledge with this particular gemstone. A very inexpensive tour. My wife and I certainly got more than we bargained for.

Date of experience: March 2018
Jacob L, Executive Director at Turquoise Museum, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am very proud of my family, I'm so glad that shows. We love to showcase not only turquoise but classic american hospitality. I really hope you will be back.

Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

If you walked by this museum, you might not even give it a second look. It is in a little strip mall by old town. Even after booking our tickets, I might have just kept walking because it doesn’t look like it could possibly be as well done and knowledge (fun knowledge) packed as it is. The family owned museum has some of the most beautiful pieces of turquoise and may know more about turquoise than anyone I’ve ever known that loves turquoise. I’ve been fascinated by turquoise since I was in Colorado as a child, and discovered that it is one of my birthstones (December). My husband just looks at it because I love it... well we both absolutely loved this little museum and the incredibly knowledgeable and personable family that run it. It’s really worth a stop when you’re in Albuquerque, and if you’re already staying at the Hotel Albuquerque or Hotel Chaco it’s walking distance away. You’ll learn something new and make some new friends (who just happen to know everything there is to know about turquoise)!

Date of experience: March 2018
2  Thank KristinR104

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We like to stay hidden for several reasons, I'm so glad you were able to find us. I hope you will be able to come back for a visit sometime.

Reviewed March 3, 2018 via mobile

Interesting family owned collection of turquoise. Docent is a grandson of the founder.
He provided information on: various mines in the US & around the world, how to assess quality, the history of the family’s involvement in obtaining mines and making jewelry and more.
The tour takes about an hour. The museum is moving to a new location in the near future.

Date of experience: February 2018
2  Thank S3442HDbarbaras
Jacob L, Executive Director at Turquoise Museum, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I hope you enjoyed your visit. We have moved the Museum from our our home for 25 years (near Old Town Albuquerque), to our new permanent location downtown. We have moved into a castle that we are now calling The Turquoise Castle, the museum displays are on both floors of our new 8,500 square foot facility. We have beautiful gardens and grounds, we have also opened a cafe, and have our own parking lot.

Reviewed February 17, 2018

First of all, don't rely on the website to find out if there are tours available: when it seems to show that they are booked solid, tours are actually available daily to walk-ins at 11 and 2. This museum is an unusual opportunity to learn about turquoise and to discover that most of what you think you know about it is wrong. The "treasury" room is full of fantastic specimens -- you could spend an hour just examining that. Much of the rest is more didactic, so children are unlikely to enjoy it, but you can learn an enormous amount by paying close attention.

Date of experience: January 2018
1  Thank thomasfE4952PP

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I hope that you enjoyed your experience. We have moved the Museum from our home for 25 years (near Old Town Albuquerque), to our new permanent location downtown. We have moved into a castle that we are now calling The Turquoise Castle, the museum displays are on both floors of our new 8,500 square foot facility. We have beautiful gardens and grounds, we have also opened a cafe, and have our own parking lot.

Reviewed January 25, 2018 via mobile

Very relaxing, informative tour offered only twice a day...11am and 2pm. The museum is there to invite those with interest in turquoise. Not trying to sell items in the gift store but generally interested in expanding you knowledge of the stone. The information shared was helpful for us as we shopped the area during our trip.

Date of experience: January 2018