“Family time”

Albuquerque Scavenger Hunt Adventure
Ranked #9 of 217 things to do in Albuquerque
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Experience the grace & charm of Old Town Albuquerque! The focal point of community life, founded in 1706, by Governor Francisco Cuervo y Valdez. Old Town follows the traditional Spanish pattern of a central plaza and church surrounded by homes and businesses. Many of the historic homes are still standing and some have been renovated into today’s shops, galleries and restaurants.Stroll the Plaza, dine at our many restaurants, stay at our hotels and B&B’s, visit our museums, take a guided tour or shop at over 150 stores and galleries for unique gifts from the Southwest and around the world.Romantic hidden patios, winding brick paths, gardens and balconies await your discovery. Wrought iron benches and adobe bancos beckon you to stop, relax in the shade,watch the world go by and bask in New Mexico’s wonderful sunshine.Shopping in Old Town is a truly delightful experience. Unique items from around the world, as well as those that are distinctly Southwestern, can be found in more than 150 shops, boutiques, galleries and artist studios.When in New Mexico, eat like New Mexicans! Enjoy the spice & flair of our traditional cuisine. Savor delightful dishes prepared with CHILE. It comes in red or green and is made from recipes that have evolved from the local Native American & Spanish cultures. Enjoy one of the dozen restaurants, cafes & coffee shops featuring everything from the All-American hamburger to fine Continental cuisine.For over three centuries Old Town has been the crossroads of the Southwest. It is a Historical Zone of the City of Albuquerque and home for many families whose ancestors founded the town. Old Town is located just off I-40 (take the Rio Grande Blvd. Exit South) to the entrance at Mountain Road.Old Town. In 1937, Route 66 was changed from its original route to a straightened east-west road along Central Avenue. Route 66 meets the Camino Real (now Rio Grande Blvd.) at Old TownOn the plaza you will find replicas of two cannons which were buried in Old Town by retreating Confederate troops during a Civil War skirmish in Albuquerque (April 8-9, 1862). The original cannons are in the Albuquerque Museum. ENTERTAINMENT - Experience a series of weekly entertainment & cultural presentations that will delight the whole family. The series content and line-ups change from week to week throughout the summer & early fall. Don’t miss the Salsa Fiesta in August or the Holiday Stroll & Luminaria Tours in December.LUMINARIAS (Farolitos) - Thousands of visitors and residents come to Old Town on Christmas Eve and during the Holiday Stroll (first Friday in December) to see the spectacular display of luminarias. Candles are set in a bed of sand inside the bottom of a paper bag. When lit, theycreate a golden glow. Thousands of luminarias line the Church, Plaza, streets and walkways of Old Town!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Family time”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

When ever my family comes in from out of town they always ask to go to Old Town. My wife loves this place as well, lots of shops and good food, pricey, yea but hey why not!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Des Moines, IA
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Old Town on Business”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

I stayed at the nearby Hotel Albuquerque during a recent visit trip and visited Old Town with friends. We're frequent visitors to the city so I always try to see what is new in Old Town. As usual I stopped by my favorite gallery the Andrews Gallery. We like the Sheldon Harvey work and try to save a little so we can occassionally purchase a piece. The one thing missing from Old Town is a great place to eat. I have not tried Antiquity, but have heard great things about it.

New Mexico
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 164 helpful votes
“we go to Old Town Albuquerque a lot, its a very nice place to spend the day !”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

we go to Old Town Albuquerque a lot, its a very nice place to spend the day !
we have always liked this place lots to see and do, lots of shops and streat venders, we walk around for a few hours and check out all the shops and the area, it is a very friendly and nice place.

Visited September 2012
Chicago
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“Could use a Ripley’s, a biker bar, and breath of fresh air, but otherwise good.”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Old town, we even have one in Chicago where I live. They always mean more to tourist than the locals. But, god help me, I do love them. This one seemed a little long on repetitive shops - my eyes crossed with pottery, jewelry, and blankets. However the quality was very high, and I do hope my vase, shipped by them, arrives safely. Restaurants a plenty, but no bars for an afternoon margarita, so I believe I do see a silent hand that keeps some out and others too much. Ah, the beauty of oversight. Allow a half day, unless you stretch into the evening and then a couple of great restaurants whether in old town or not.

Portland, OR
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Fun place to stroll and shop”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is a fun stop. Bear in mind that it is only a couple of blocks long. There are fun shops, galleries, and cafes - more of a stop and look and not a destination.

Visited March 2013

Been to Old Town Albuquerque? Share your experiences!