“Beautiful campus and great school....”

University of New Mexico
Ranked #31 of 224 things to do in Albuquerque
More attraction details
Owner description: With more than 30,000 students enrolled in its undergraduate and graduate courses, this is the largest university in the state of New Mexico.
Reviewed December 31, 2012

My niece attended UNM and she got a fantastic education. The campus is very beautiful and there are wonderful cultural events there...arts and theater included. We always loved to tour the campus when visiting her there.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Beautiful campus with unique southwestern adobe architecture. If you are visiting Albuquerque, definitely a must-visit. A good part of the campus is actually on Route 66, and it has nice cafes and shops around campus on the Route. Well groomed campus. Zimmerman library is an adobe architectural feast inside and outside. A nice pond ("the duck pond") is kind of hidden in the middle of the main campus, with beautiful trees and flowers around. You can have awesome views of Sandia Mountains from almost every building on campus, the dorms, the recreational center/gym, and the multipurpose Johnson field. Within walking distance of campus are located restaurants with cuisines from all over the world. I am biased though, I am a lobo. :) Every time I visit Albuquerque, I try to visit my graduate alma mater and I see the enourmus change in terms of new constructions and buildings.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Visited the Anthropology Museum and drove around the campus. As you may expect the architecture is Southwestern, and on a nice day is worth a visit particularly if your going to visit a few of the museums located on campus.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Oh, where do I start! I was enrolled at UNM in their Masters program in education. Half way through my classes, I had to take some time off because I was having financial issues. When I tried to take classes again, 1 year later, they had dis-enrolled me and then changed the course requirements (so I would have to take 4 more additional classes) to graduate. So Frustrating! After that I applied to New Mexico Tech's Masters program for science teachers (which was free!) and graduated last spring. I learned SOOO much more useful information at Tech than at UNM and saved a bundle.

Other reasons why I can't stand UNM:
- They 'fee' you to death! Increased lab fees, high parking fees, and they actually charge you $10 for their course studies book!
- The administration is SO disorganized and departments do not talk to each other.
- They will loose your paperwork AND THEN make you do it again, even if it was their fault.
- The administration is top heavy. They spend so much money on unnecessary positions that it takes money out of the classroom where it is needed.
-Their facilities are AWFUL! Most buildings need updating and many of the lights around campus don't work which is a safety hazard.
- The 2009 vote of no confidence in the administration.

Please consider these things before applying to and attending UNM. If UNM is your ONLY option (why not CNM to get started?) then I suppose its better than no education at all. Just know that you will have to do more footwork and straitening out of messes than you would at another university. Good Luck!

2  Thank katieladylove
Reviewed October 15, 2012

One of our wine makers recieved his History degree at UNM and many of us have taken extention classes through their Taos campus. The education at this school is top notch especially in the sciences. The grounds are recognized as one of the state's botanical gardens making it a lovely place to take a stroll or have a picnic. The anthropology museum is one of the best little museums we have found.