“So rundown” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #104 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Chicago, Il
“So rundown”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2008

As soon a I saw the exterior of the building, I knew I had made a poor choice. This motel is in very poor repair.

There is a sign at check in stating to ask management about the internet access. I did and was told that it is via an ethernet cord. Did not find the cord but was able to connect to a very weak internet signal. Tried to call the desk and ask again. The phone rang 12 times before I gave up.

The room is like a long narrow dark cave. The cove base in the bathroom had fallen away and gravel was leaking from the wall. The counter in the living room is a makeshift plastic with pipe leg. The door frames were scratched, chipped, painted metal. The entire place just seemed grimy, unkempt and depressing.

To make matters worse, I discovered that I could have stayed at the nearby brand new Hyatt for the same price!

I do not think I will ever stay at a "Choice" property again.

• Stayed April 2008
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2008

Very nice stay at this Quality Suites. Easy airport and Interstate access. Good hotel for the price. The breakfast wasn't awesome but I have seen lots worse at other hotels.

• Stayed February 2008
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2007

I booked my stay from Kayak.

I was surprised to see such bad reviews for this hotel. I do not agree with them at all. Our stay was just fine.

The good points: The continental breakfast was very good, and the hours of it (6-10) were great for families with sleepy-head kids (some hotels cater to business travelers only, and late sleepers get the crumbs). Check-out was 11, which is also great for weary travelers. I never heard anyone in other rooms, which is a big plus over other hotels in the same price range.

The rooms are very comparable to the Embassy Suites. The beds were extremely comfortable and the pillows were fluffy enough for me. The pull-out sofa meant our family of five was very comfortable in three beds. There were two tvs, so the kids could watch sports while I watched a chick-flick. The shower-head had tons of water pressure and felt great after the long drive from southern California.

The downsides: the hotel lobby needs redecorating (not renovating). It really is a bad first impression to an otherwise nice place. The decor was like a Grandma decorated it, with floral sofas and tons and tons of fake floral plants everywhere. I think they should invest in some nice lobby furniture that is simple but classy, and put in tasteful southwestern accents, instead. The pool was warmer than the hot tub, which I thought was wierd, so I did not go in either. There was a sign on the hot-tub saying it had just been fixed and is warming, though. Also, there was a strong smell of perfume in the hallways. They said they had just de-oderized the carpets. I think Grandma DOES live there.

Our room did not smell like perfume like the hallways did, so I had a great night's sleep.

Other than that, everything was fine. The desk staff was great. I would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Good price, location, room and breakfast
  • Disliked — Needs to update lobby decorating.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank njcronk
Las Cruces, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2006

This place is in desperate need of some maintenance and upgrades. Dirty room, closet had bullet holes in it, sofa bed was hard as a rock with little or no mattress left, carpet bubbled, contenential breakfast was the worst I've ever seen, staff non responsive to our needs and we had a son who had surgery and this place was totally unacceptable for a recovery room. Indian from India management and they are nortorious for letting hotel properties get run down. I contacted the corporate headquarters about this place and they didn't offer anything to compensate us for the terrible two nights we spent at this establishment. ADVICE: STAY AWAY!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Dirty, non-responsive staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away from this establishment
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank NMRawker
Pembroke, Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2006

Yikes! I don't know if it is Albuquerque or Quality Suites but we stayed at two of these hotels in ABQ and they were both filthy. This one, on Gibson Blvd. had a filthy elevator, stairway, hallways, pool area and rooms. The pool area was especially gross with hair floating in it and scum in the hot tub. The front desk clerk seemed clueless and it took him over 5 minutes to find our reservation after I handed him my email confirmation. The room was spacious with a TV room but things were old and needed updating including the refrigerator which was also dirty. If we were not catching a plane early in the morning we would have left. The breakfast person did a nice job making a ho-hum breakfast look attractive.

• Liked — Suite with a separate bedroom
  • Disliked — Lack of housekepping services
  • Tips/Secrets — Find another place near the airport until they clean up their act!
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank kellykabuki
Socorro, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2005

We have stayed at this hotel three or four times over the last couple of years, just for a night before or after flights. The first couple of times it was excellent, with spacious rooms and a nice indoor pool. Last fall it was still OK though starting to look a bit worn. But our one night there in mid-March is likely to be our last. Maintenance on this hotel appears to have gone downhill fast. The halls were dirty, possibly because it seems to have become party central on weekends (my husband saw two rooms down the hall from us that had 10-12 people in them). We were approached by a panhandler - albeit a polite one - in the parking lot (11:30pm). The room itself was reasonably clean, but two pieces of our room furniture were damaged, the bathroom floor tiles were loose, one of the beds had a huge stain on the side (coffee?), and a washcloth had black marks on it. The hotel's hot tub was murky with a brownish tinge, and the whole pool room reeked. It had also clearly not been cleaned since it closed the night before: we got there when it opened at 9am, and there was trash, spilled coffee, and even a used diaper on one of the tables. (Ultimately it's the hotel's responsibility to keep the place clean, but that's no reason for people not to clean up after themselves!) The only halfway bright spot was breakfast, which is still decent. We filled out the hotel comment card and gave it to the girl at the front desk, but I have to wonder how far up the chain it will get. The hotel's decline is a shame, because it's convenient to the airport and highway, and was an excellent value when it was kept up better.

• Stayed March 2005
7 Thank nmgirl
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2005

After arriving in Albuquerque at 23.00 hrs on a very cold October night (2004) on a very long flight from Ireland, we were truly blessed by taking a chance to call here.

We met a Gentleman of Indian nationality, (sub-Continent not Native! ),whom for us was the epitomy of hospitality at the Check-in desk. He obviously saw we were exhausted and took instant interest in us.

We asked had he availability and he let us know he was waiting for his last room to be filled but although not yet checked in, they were very very late.He decided that at this stage, that they more than likely would not show up, and told us that he would phone Head-office to see if he could let room to us.

This he duely did, through a number of phone calls which took time -we all know bureauracy!- as well as going to lengths as to contact home number of room booked in.Eventually he came back to us and let us know we were welcome to book in .

Now,While some among you may say "he was just doing his job...." ,I might add, we are in the Hospitality trade ourselves and know the good from the bad ,and genuine from fake .His was 'over and beyond' any call of customer care and hence this short note of praise for genuiness. His care for us was (sadly) not to repeated anywhere else throughout our 3 week Holiday in U.S. ,either in New Mexico or 2 other States visited.

Our room was really, really good.A 1/2 Suite with a very comfy King Bed and standard extras of very good quality.Very quiet and cleanliness of a very high standard.Set on ground floor, we slept like logs!

Next morning (leaving to go meet friends in Santa Fe) we met Ajay again and had a wonderful conversation with him,talking about our Business in Ireland and similarities/differances with his.He gave us good pointers on N.M. as well as other tips.

Now ,this Hotel would not necessarily draw anybody off the road by choice of design, layout etc. BUT to be treated with such courtesy and genuine care was the true reason we booked in again for our last night in Albuquerque.Once again we met Ajay and can only thank him for such high standards he radiates.

We are in the process to also inform his Hotel Company of his exceptional standards which will enlighten them to professionalism and class he extends to their good name and reputation.

Once again Ajay,many thanks for your courtesy and care!

1 Thank pkpj