“Zoo Review”

Albuquerque Biological Park
Ranked #8 of 223 things to do in Albuquerque
More attraction details
Owner description: Park complex offering three main sections the whole family can enjoy: Albuquerque Aquarium, Rio Grande Botanic Garden and Rio Grande Zoo.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I must first off admit that I did not make it to the aquarium, or the botanical gardens. We got there, got our combo pass and immediately tried to find the train station to the zoo. The ticket sales lady pointed us in the wrong direction so we asked another attendant and she was helpful. We would not have needed directions if they would put up some signs. This is a very sore spot right now. No good marked walkways. Not in the least. Everything is by gosh and by golly and by luck. Somehow, we got to the station, and when the train finally came, we boarded. Fake train. I tender box full of fake coal hides a diesel engine. The engine is not the engine, the coal car is. When we got to the zoo, our plan was to get to the zoo train and take that around the zoo area and take the other train back. Turns out that there are four trains (I'm am guessing here) that all run on the same track but two trains stay at the zoo and 2 trains go from the zoo to the rest of the park. If all four trains would make the complete circuit, they would run twice as often. What a poor set up. It is hard to put into words what I saw in the zoo. Many of the animals can only be viewed by looking through a scratched up plexiglass window. And most times, you don't see anything. I digress. There are two train circuits. The train from the aquarium and botanical gardens takes you to the zoo area which has it's own train. About a two mile trip. Both trains meet, yet they did not have the sense to put the stations together. So you must walk clear across the zoo to get to the zoo train station. Once you are on the zoo train, it actually goes by walk same things you saw on the walk to the station, except......you see the backside of everything, and the conductor, who is running his monologue as we go by every area of what we would see if we were able to see anything. This park seriously needs someone who knows something about zoo management to step in and fix things. Not once did I see a zoo exhibit which even made a feeble attempt to make it appear as though the animals where in their natural habit, unless corrugated steel, and chicken wire are natural. One of the reasons we chose to go to this park was because of the reviews that we read. All I can say is that these people should take off the sunglasses and blinders, and find some other weed to smoke. Over and out.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Between the aquarium, the zoo, and the botanical gardens, you have a to see and I highly recommend getting the combo pass for all three and starting before noon so that you have enough time to see everything. It's a lot of walking, so if you have older people or younger kids I recommend picking a few things on the map. The aquarium takes the least about of time and the zoo takes the most. We did the zoo first and then breezed through the aquarium to cool off and finished up by seeing the butterfly and japanese gardens. It's really worth the cost!

I recommend seeing the monkies, seals and sea lions, and polar bears most of all. The snake and reptile exhibit was fairly large as well.

2  Thank Caitlin L
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I've lived in many different cities, big and small, and I have to say the Bio Park is a great place to spend an afternoon. The aquarium was an unexpected surprise - not huge, but a nice size and very well laid out. The children's park of the Bio Park is fantastic and so much fun and I take my nieces there every time they come from out of town. The rest of the park is just as enjoyable and make sure you catch the butterfly pavilion. Always enjoy going there.

2  Thank K R
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Nice venue to practice my photography. The plant life was nice but I was looking for more native vegetation. Worth an hour at most.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

The Biopark is an incredible asset to Albuquerque. Our family enjoys going to the park for family pictures, professional photographers can meet you here and buy a commercial photography day pass to allow you to get perfect backdrops. Try the new Japanese Garden area for some great shots with the water features.

If coming with a stroller, you'll want the bigger tires for the many sand and gravel pathways.