“Helps bring history to Life”
Review of Trinity Site

Trinity Site
Ranked #38 of 226 things to do in Albuquerque
More attraction details
Owner description: The exact spot where the first atomic bomb was detonated.
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This event (only open to the public twice a year) has been on my husband's bucket list for some time. I am very glad we scheduled it for our western trip this year. It is certainly worth seeing. It helps put everything in perspective. One of the volunteers was answering questions and was so educational and informative that I could have spent all day listening to him.

1  Thank Kay B
in 8 reviews
"gates opened"
in 2 reviews

Reviewed October 6, 2012 via mobile

This was my fifth visit to a ground zero and was the best site in New Mexico. The other two in NM are Projects Gassbuggy and Gnome. Both of those were just plaques on the ground. The other two sites visited were Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

The While Sands bunch really provide more activities than just plaques including a visit to the restored ranch house where the "gadget" was put together.

The total time from arrival to departure (including wait time for the gates to open at 8am) was about 2.5 hours.

1  Thank Shannon L
Reviewed September 19, 2012

My visit to Trinity was unexpected and the ride is long, but I traveled with several Nuclear Physicists and self proclaimed science geeks (we all work with Radiation even if we don't know the true dynamics of it). I'm not sure what you're expecting with a four hour drive through the desert, but to feel the historical power and prowess of a place is more than words to describe. Understanding how a place is forever marked by actions over a generation ago is eye-opening and its worth the trip if you're nearby on one of the public days.

1  Thank MilHistory_Traveller
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The site is informative but because so many have visited the area there is little to look at for the drive. For young children I would recommend visiting the Nuclear Science Museum in ABQ.