“Great hotel, great value”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Albuquerque Journal Ctr NW
Ranked #47 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
A TripAdvisor Member
Pasadena, California, USA
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The staff are all real friendly and real helpful, starting from when I phoned to make my reservation and continued on my arrival all through my stay. The room was clean and despite being so near the freeway (really convenient) was really quite because the soundproofing was very effective and I slept perfectly. The buffet breakfast was excellent and even offered the opportunity to make freshly cooked waffles. I'll definitely stay here again if I'm in the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 18, 2013

Having stayed at many La Quintas, this is the worst I’ve stayed in. I think a contributing factor is that this property used to be another brand, so it’s not really a ‘real’ La Quinta. There’s another La Quinta across the highway that was company built. I mistakenly drove up there first, and it looks the way you expect a LQ to look. It’s probably a much better choice.

This Pan American property is sort of like the early 70s movie that I remember called The Gang That Couldn’t Shoot Straight. The staff is nice enough and they seemed to try hard, but it’s just not up to La Quinta’s standards for cleanliness, quality and experience.

Foremost, the property is run down. My bathtub had a big chip in it and water stains on the bottom. Carpets were worn. Doors were beat-up, scratched and dirty. Rooms are small, and not typical of usual LQ rooms. The elevator walls were scratched and vandalized.

The carpet in the hallways was dirty. It didn’t even look like it had been vacuumed recently. The ice maker on the first floor was out of order, with a sign to go up to the 2nd or 3rd floor. Of course, when I got to the second floor, that one was out of order, too. It would have been nice to say so on the first floor sign.

Location is not great. You’re right on top of the highway and parking is somewhat limited. There are few services at this interchange, just a couple restaurants, but I couldn’t find a gas station nearby.

The pool was covered and clearly not open when I stayed on March 14. Perhaps it’s too early. Probably best anyway, my first floor room’s window was 10 feet from the pool.

Breakfast here was the usual LQ choices of hard boiled eggs, waffles, other breads, some fruit and yogurt.

Thankfully, I was just spending a night passing through, but I wouldn’t stay at this La Quinta ever again. If you need to stay here, such as driving between Denver and Phoenix, try the one listed on San Antonio Drive, across the highway. It looked like the real deal.

Room Tip: Pick the San Antonio Drive La Quinta instead!!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank SammySki
Reviewed March 15, 2013

At this hotel's continental breakfast, we asked if there was cold water to drink. They said, "no."
We asked if there was a water fountain in the hall. They said, "no." This is the first time I have not had cold water available at breakfast. This hotel was dirty in the elevators and an obvious lack of vacuuming through the halls. The rooms were just a bit better. This hotel was far from pleasant experience.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Stayed here while in ABQ to see the city and the surrounding area. Hotel entrance is actually off Elison but the GPS took us 'around the block' for some reason and brought us down Pan American Frwy. There is lots of parking around the facility so no problem here. Restaurants are all over this area, mostly on the east side of I-25.

Staff was superb and the room was perfect for our needs - we travel with a dog. Hotel is right off I-25 but our room was on the opposite side so no road noise - not that I can say if there was road noise on the other side. Only problem with side we were on is the garbage is stored there and WM comes about 8 AM for the pick up.

Room was clean and tidy after each day when we returned.

We'd stay here again if in ABQ.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 2, 2013

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SiteTravels
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We booked this hotel as part of a 7 day road trip.

Check in was easy and pleasant. You could not ask for a nicer desk clerk. Friendly, efficient and helpful. She had us in our room in record time. The hotel is a little difficult to find. It is right next to the Hampton Inn and is on the west side of I-25. There is another La Quinta on the east side of the interstate.

The room, 308, is faces i-25 but is relatively quiet. I can not hear anything but the bad boy mufflers and an occasional truck if I try. The furnishings are standard hotel room things. Good quality and well maintained. We only lack luggage racks. The internet connection is excellent and easy to use without going through all the usual hotel loops to get up and running. The bedding is okay. 3 pillows, a comforter, and a blanket. Good quality flat screen 37" inch HDTV. The sink is in the room. I don't like that kind of arrangement and deducted 1 dot for that. Everything is clean.

I used the fitness room. It had a treadmill, stepper, and bike. All middle of the road quality. A good TV was available to help you cover the miles.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the highway. Need to get there early however because those rooms go fast.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family