“Spacious room, very friendly staff, Quiet”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Midtown
Ranked #72 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed June 16, 2009

The Holiday Inn Express on Menaul Blvd in Albuquerque, NM is a very good hotel. The service was first rate and very friendly. The room ( double queen) was very spacious and clean. Furthermore, we could not find a problem with the room at all, quite an uncommon experience for us. The kids loved the pristine pool which was very clean. The laundry room was nice. The computer room was a nice touch. The breakfast was excellent consisting of a wide selection of eggs and sausage, biscuits and gravy, and the usual continental fare. Notably, missing from the menu was fresh chopped fruit and grits which is standard at other hotels of this caliber. The workout room was spacious and all of the equipment worked, though it was too warm. The hotel is located centrally just off of I-40, 15 minutes from the Sandia Peak Tram, 8 minutes from Balloon Fiesta Park, and 6 minutes from Old Town. We highly recommend this hotel. It is a bargain.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family

Reviewed June 12, 2009

An excellent choice if you need to stay in ABQ. It's neat and clean with all the facilties you need at a good price.

The staff are lovely, genuinely friendly and helpful and always on the button.

Breakfast was fabulous with lots of choice, top quality food and a friendly and funny lady to help you out. You also get a discount at Applebees next door.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 2, 2009

This was one of the nicer HI Express locations that I have been to. The building was new and very clean. They had an arrangement with the restaurant next door for 15% off your meal. If you're looking for a clean, comfortable room, this is a good pick.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank Dr_Katz
Reviewed February 12, 2009

Very friendly staff. Asked if we could check in 1 1/2 hours early.
" No Problem!" Front desk called room one hour later to make sure room was to our liking and asked if we needed anything.
Very clean, fresh bed linens. Comfortable mattress. Big, fluffy towels. Clean and spacious living room and office area. Kitchen area had plates, cups, bowls, plasticware, can opener, etc. stored in cupboards.
We went to explore the area and when we came back at 4:30, there were fresh baked cookies and milk set out in the dining room. What a nice touch!
The breakfast was one of the best. Hot breakfast had bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, fresh biscuits and sausage gravy.
Cold breakfast had cereal, yogurt, boiled eggs, sweet rolls, muffins, toast, bagels, fruit.
Juices were orange, cranberry and apple. Very good coffee with an assortment of flavored creamers.
Even though dining room was busy, all food and drink was replenished immediately. Tables, counters, etc., were kept sparkling clean.
This hotel offers so much more for the rate. We will stay here every time we need a hotel in Albuquerque. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank veronic110
HIEABQ, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Midtown, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2009

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We strive to be the best and from your experience it sounds like we did a pretty good job. We encourage you to come back and stay with us again sometime. If you have any questions or comments you can email me at aaron@finehospitality.com

Reviewed October 28, 2008

Very clean and well maintained hotel. Yes, the bathroom feng shui has a lot to be desired as far as manuerving about, but the rest of the room was very comfortable. GREAT bed, very comfortable mattress and nice linens. Clean, big fluffy towels. The "firm" pillow was still too soft for me, but I've learned to always bring my own pillow anyway since I'm so picky. There is a mini fridge and a microwave in the room. There's an AppleBee's in the parking lot, other than that there isnt much else within walking distance. There is a WalMart Super Center nearby, I drove over and got cokes and water and snacks for the room. The staff here at the hotel, as well as everyone else around town were some of the nicest people I've run into in all my travels. I stayed at a conference rate but there's a sign on the side of the building that say's Weekend rates start at $84. For a suite hotel that's pretty good. Oh, and you get the free breakfast with their sinful cinnamon roles.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank pamela c
Reviewed October 19, 2008

Everything was typically a good HIE, but this older building had a very small toilet/shower area. The sink/vanity is separate, which gives it more room.

Comfortable bed and terrific bedding. Had an Eastern view of sunrise over the Sandia mountain.

Had a king suite with sofa area, desk area, and kitchen area. All very clean.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NAR14
Reviewed October 8, 2008

We're staying here for the Balloon Fiesta. I picked the Holiday Inn Express Midtown because it was centrally located and had a non smoking suite room available. Our room is on the 4th floor and is very clean and very quiet and decorated very tastefully (must be a renovated room?). The bed is a bit soft but comfy. There's a nice writing desk. There's free Wi-Fi. I think what makes the room a "suite" is that there's a little sink/microwave/refrigerator in the sitting area. The staff are very cheery, but maybe lacking a little on the service end (I had pre-requested a crib for our baby, but I had to ask for it again at check-in, and the receptionist asked me if I'd like her to put it on a luggage cart so that I could bring it to the room myself--uh, my arms are full and I have a baby, how about offering to have it delivered to my room or better yet, how about having it ready in my room when I arrive?) There's an Applebees across the parking lot that gives 10% off if you show your room key. "Full" breakfast is included (but is only palatable if you eat Continental breakfast) the eggs, sausage, and biscuits/gravy are all premade and under a heater and are truly disgusting. Some design flaws of the room: I'm not sure I would call the room a suite since it's really one big room with a semi-partition giving some privacy between the bed and the sitting area. The bed and the sofa both face the same TV. Also, the king bed faces the sink that has the most incredibly blinding bright light fixture. The tub/toilet are in a tiny, tiny area; you can't really close the door without some creative maneuvering, and the room has no ventilation so steam and odors invade the room immediately. The A/C unit is below the window and is loud. There's no enclosed closet, which really isn't a problem, but we have a curious baby, and it was difficult to babyproof without a closet. I had to stash the luggage rack up on the shelf above the clothes hangers and had to have the ironing board taken away because he could pull it down off its hanger. Oh well, I don't think I'd recommend this place for a family (definitely not with baby and not enough privacy for parents looking for some private space from their kids), but I'd maybe recommend it to a business traveler or just a couple.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family