“It kind of reminds me of...”
Review of Rasoi - CLOSED

Rasoi
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2009

It kind of reminds me of the Taj Mahal. Rasoi served goat once, I didn't much care for it, it was too gamey. But the food is good there and I will go back. The service was excellent.

Reviewed February 9, 2009

We found this place not knowing anything about it. It is a pretty room, but we waited a long time for a bumbling waiter. We learned the hard way that the dishes were not as described on the menu. The thali meal SAID, choose 2 dishes, but turned out to be a set offering which, strangely, included two dals. Also, no chutneys were provided with the samosa which was served on brown, wilting lettuce. All prices had been increased 10% (with only a small sign noting this change at the entrance). This came as an unpleasant surprise when we received our bill. Service was VERY slow and incompetent. Our two entrees were served at different times, and I had to beg for the chai (which was included) long after the meal was over. The potato/garlic soup was awful. All dishes were overly salty and mediocre, at best. It was a terrible dining experience. Given the previous reviews, we are surprised that it is the same restaurant. But with all the problems we had, I don't think it was just a bad day.

Reviewed January 1, 2009

We stumbled upon Rasoi while looking for a different restaurant, and we couldn't have been more pleased. The overall experience was excellent.

We are vegetarians so it can be hard to find good food on the road. But Rasoi wildly exceeded our expectations, and I'm sure the non-vegetarian offerings were equally tasty.

For appetizers, we ordered a palak shorba (spinach soup), subzi bhajia (mixed vegetable fritters), and an order of kashmiri nan. All three were excellent. The soup was nicely spiced and beautifully presented. The subzi bhajia were flavorful and not at all greasy, as fried appetizers often are in lesser Indian restaurants. The nan was delicious - not too sweet, with a light brushing of ghee.

Our entrees, which we requested spicy, were equally impressive. Malai kofta is on many an Indian restaurant menu and is often too sweet and mushy. This preparation was subtle, and rich without being overwhelming. The aloo gobi, another Indian menu staple, was expertly prepared. The cauliflower and potato were not overcooked, as is sadly typical with aloo gobi, and the spices added some heat as you'd expect, but also enhanced the flavors of the vegetables. Portion sizes were small on the entrees but the dishes were very filling.

The decor was pleasantly authentic. Each table had a charming elephant statuette which doubled as a candleholder. Beautiful silk Sari cloth served as curtains. Our entrees were served in bronze serving dishes sitting atop matching bronze warmers.

The service was friendly without being intrusive. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu, fluent in English, and attentive. Prices were reasonable.

It's a shame more people haven't reviewed this excellent restaurant, as it deserves a higher rating in TripAdvisor, in my opinion. My husband and I have traveled to India several times and eaten in countless Indian restaurants both in India and in the United States. Rasoi ranks very highly among similar restaurants we have tried in this price range. It's an excellent value and an authentic, flavorful dining experience.

1  Thank Truly_Malin
Reviewed October 14, 2008

New owners have "Spiced Up" this Indian Restaurant near UNM. The dishes are consistently well-done (note: not typical well-done as in meat preparation) and presentation is appealing, as are the delicious scents of spices.

We love the Yeh Aur Oh (translates to This and That) appetizer platter. A little something for everyone!!!

With courteous staff and a relaxing atmosphere, it is a pleasure to dine here.

Reviewed September 28, 2008

Delicious food from India available in Albuquerque, Being a student its conveniently located near University of New Mexico Campus and open 7 days a week. I love their lunch buffet served everyday so I go there whenever I crave for some Indian food.