The National Museum of Nuclear Science & History
Ranked #5 of 224 things to do in Albuquerque
More attraction details
Owner description: The National Museum of Nuclear Science & History is the New Mexico’s only congressionally chartered museum in its field and a Smithsonian affiliate. Visitors can explore how nuclear science continues to influence our world. The museum strives to present, through permanent and changing exhibits and displays, the diverse applications of nuclear energy in the past, present and future along with the stories of the field’s pioneers. Originally known as the National Atomic Museum, it was established in 1969 as an intriguing place to learn the story of the Atomic Age, from early research of nuclear development through today’s peaceful uses of nuclear technology.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This place was very cool. We spent about 2 hours there but could have easily stayed longer! I loved the way the museum was set up and my husband loved the planes and vehicles they had outside.

There are newer reviews for The National Museum of Nuclear Science & History

Reviewed April 14, 2013

This museum is very well done! A must stop for if you are visiting AQB. I would schedule about 4-5 hours if you want to read and enjoy all the exhibits. The staff was wonderful, they were very knowledgeable and passionate about the topics at the museum. You can focus on one area of interest or explore the whole of the museum. There is lots of stuff for kids to do and enjoy. I love the outside section where you can get up close to the planes. Basically its a great place to visit and it has something for everyone (Science, history, interactive stuff for kids, environmental, even photo exhibits from time to time).

1  Thank Cmac2385
Reviewed April 10, 2013

This museum engaged us for more than 2 hours, and we'd already seen the related museums in Los Alamos. Highlights include the descriptions of Japanese and German efforts to build a bomb, video taken by a solider only a month or two after the bomb drop of Nagasaki (he narrates it 40 years later), fun atomic pop culture, planes and lots of bombs (most authentic but defused). My husband, a WWII and science-technology fan, saw planes he'd only read about. The docents were helpful, and the gift shop is fun.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I was really impressed with the museum and docents for my trip to the Trinity (April 6, 2013). Molly was able to get me a seat on the bus tour (someone had dropped out at the last second). We had super docents for the trip (Judith, Don, Duanne, and Terry). The museum runs a class act on the Trinity tour. I was so happy with the trip. I really enjoyed the museum exhibits. Gary was very good at explaining certain physics questions that I had. I would recommend this to a family. I'm bringing my family back on the next Trinity weekend (Oct., 2013). Lots of cool hands on things for them to do. I was very happy with the Manhatten Project displays. I went from there to Los Alamos to the Bradbury Museum and toured the sites there. What a great weekend of fun....courtesy of a great group of people working at this museum. The Trinity tour was outstanding. We got the VIP treatment everywhere we went. I've got outstanding pics of the McDonald Ranch House, Jumbo and the Trinity. So COOL!

2  Thank gdmeyer
Reviewed April 3, 2013

A previous reviewer called this a "little museum." We thought it was fairly large...in fact, we really couldn't spend as much time there as the museum demands with all its various sections. The 45-minute introductory film is very good, but maybe a bit long for those short on time.
We've been to the museum in Los Alamos and would like to go back there to spend more time on the personal stories of the people involved in the Manhattan Project. This museum is different, in that it focuses more on the technical aspects and branches off into the modern byproducts of nuclear energy, including nuclear medicine, dealing with nuclear wastes, etc. And also features a section on the Cold War.