“Invaluable Cultural Resource” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Indian Pueblo Cultural Center

Indian Pueblo Cultural Center
Ranked #6 of 212 things to do in Albuquerque
More attraction details
Owner description: Owned and run by the 19 Indian Pueblos of New Mexico, this important center showcases the history of the Pueblo people through ancient artifacts, dance demonstrations and art exhibits.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Invaluable Cultural Resource”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2014

Curious about Native American culture? Wanna get past the cultural stereotypes that Hollywood pumps out and pushes on viewers? Hungry for fry bread? If you answered yes to any of the aforementioned questions, then make a trip out to the Indian Pueblo Cultural Center.

This place is a tremendous resource for New Mexico, and we are truly lucky to have it. Growing up in this state, I never appreciated how much Native American culture surrounded me, and how unique this was as compared to the rest of the country. Coming to the IPCC really gives one an in-depth look at the lives, history, and culture of the Pueblo (and Apachean) tribes that have inhabited this land for centuries.

I found all of the exhibits to be very engaging and multi-dimensional. Culture, language, the environment, spirituality, all of these topics and more are discussed and explored. Beyond just having artifacts behind glass, the IPCC opens up culture and brings it to life with traditional dances performed in the courtyard. This is truly something worth seeing, especially in this context of learning.

Lastly, the IPCC also brings a unique culinary twist to the fore by offering a very good on-site restaurant. If that's a little too formal for you, there's a food kiosk outside in the courtyard, too. And, if you've still got money to burn and you want some authentic Native wares, the gift shop is always there.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank MrW88345

Fort Worth, Texas
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Oh No !”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

For several years, this was my favorite dining spot in Albuquerque. I looked forward to each visit. The food was always very good, and the young enthusiastic native American servers and hostesses were friendly and efficient. Wow... I hope I hit them on a bad day, because things have really changed. I will admit that there was a huge patio party going on, so they were very busy. The nice fresh young hostesses hustling drinks on the patio had been replaced by ladies who dressed as if they belonged at Hooters. Service was very slow and inattentive at best. And my chili relleno was possibly the worst one I have ever tried to eat. It was actually charred and burned so badly the it could not be cut with a knife. And, they used to give a nice pour of wine in a very nice crystal glass.... gone away too. I guess my next trip to Albuquerque I will look at other suggestions on trip advisor and select a new favorite.

2 Thank Sid H
Oklahoma City
“Dancing and restaurant great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Be sure to eat in the restaurant and stay for some of the dancing. It's really good food and a great way to see demonstrations of dancing from different pueblos

Mesa, Arizona
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Loved the Native American Dancing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2014

My girls were excited to watch the Native American Dancers, but with this museum, we got so much more! So much history here and we loved walking through and learning about Native American history. At the end of our visit, we watched the dancing which was beautiful!! They also had individuals selling handmade jewelry, pottery, art, etc. We felt this was a nice touch and purchased beautiful necklaces for the girls and a marriage pot. I enjoyed hearing how the things were made and the girls said their new necklaces were special. My daughters enjoyed the visit so much! Thank you for a wonderful experience!

Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

Food was great! The IPCC is a cultural haven of native American art, history and culture. I spent about two hours touring.