“unexpected”

Indian Pueblo Cultural Center
Ranked #4 of 224 things to do in Albuquerque
More attraction details
Owner description: Owned and run by the 19 Indian Pueblos of New Mexico, this important center showcases the history of the Pueblo people through ancient artifacts, dance demonstrations and art exhibits.
Reviewed April 15, 2012

On my way to the airport I stopped at the Cultural Center. I like musinc and they have Pueblo Indian dances every couple hours that I wanted to see and hear. I got there for a very professional group of dancers and enjoyed their buffalo dance a lot. The danceres were so friendly and open about their traditions. After a great lunch in the restaurant of amazing lamb posole and stew suddenly I heard bagpipes! A group of pipers from Scotland had arranged to play with the drummers of the dance group and they were jamming in the patio. It was outrageous. Guys in kilts dancing with the Pueblo group and visitors then everyone playing "Amazing Grace" on bagpipes and the big drums from the pueblo. Wow.

Reviewed April 13, 2012

I enjoyed learning about the Indian culture and I also really enjoyed seeing one of the tribes do a rain dance. Vendors were also there selling jewelry and pottery. Wonderful experience!

Reviewed April 10, 2012

I was excited to go here after reading reviews and a strong connection to Indian culture in my past. I was disappointed as the exhibits were a bit choppy and information was little in detail that I had not already picked up in other museums in the area.

The no photographs rule was here too but not really sure why as there was nothing that special to see.

If pressed for time, I would pick any of the other museums in the area first.

2  Thank Mke_Traveler_70
Reviewed April 4, 2012

The Center is a unique opportunity to learn about the Pueblos from the perspective of the people themselves. Whether you intend to visit the pueblos or not you will gain a find orientation to the variety of cultures, and learn about the history and art of these old civilizations. We were also fascinated by a very well presented exhibit on 100 years of policies and how they impact core values of the pueblos. Volunteer docents happily offer explanations of the exhibits and answer questions. We also recommend the gift shop where we received excellent advice on books and videos that continued our learning and enjoyment after we returned home.

1  Thank city-hiker
Reviewed April 1, 2012

What a great place to visit and eat. Their food is very traditional and good. During the summer weekend evenings they have live music on the patio. A great place to take your out of town guests!