“Value for money”

Ranked #4 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
London, United Kingdom
“Value for money”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed at the Sandia Peak for one night after a long day of sightseeing (Taos, Los Alamos and Santa Fe) so the indoor pool which was open late was very welcome and an excellent way for us to relax before the long drive to Tucson the next day. The big, comfortable room was clean and well equipped (TV, fridge, microwave etc) with the bath / shower and toilet separate to the sink and dressing area.

We hadn't booked anywhere to stay in Albuquerque so stopped at a couple of other motels before arriving at the Sandia Peak. Despite it being a little way out of town it was by far the best value for money - $67 inc breakfast and tax. The inclusive breakfast was good (cereals, yogurt, toast, bagels, coffee, orange and apple juice) and the wifi worked in the breakfast area (we couldn't get it to work in the room but weren't bothered enough to complain).

The motel is on a busy road but the traffic didn't bother us and we had a good sleep. The only problem we encountered was that all of the restaurants nearby had closed by the time we were ready for dinner (8:30 - 9pm on a Thursday night) so after walking up and down to various places near the motel we ended up driving into town and finally found what felt like the only restaurant that was still open. I would have expected more places to be open in such a big city on a Thursday evening so don't be caught out by this.

Sandia Peak is a good quality motel and I would recommend it as a comfortable place to stay if you're passing through Albuquerque on a road trip (like us) or as a base from which to explore Albuquerque for a couple of days.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Polish first
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed January 13, 2013

After reading reviews for various motels near the I-40, I booked one night at the Sandia Peak Inn Motel. I am glad I did.
It is located about 1/2 mile south of the I-40 and my Garmin helped find it. Located just across from a Pep Boys, I was able to schedule service for my car early next morning before continuing my trip.
Kay, the owner greeted me by name as walked through the door and made a comment that I must be tired after the long journey (which was unsolicited but true). Check in was smooth. She offered the free WiFi in the room even before I remembered to ask for it. She supplied drinking water when asked.
Basically all the comments I had read about friendly staff, immaculately clean room, and amenities were all true. I was impressed that a motel had an in-room iron and board, refrigerator and microwave. It makes me wonder why it only rates 2 stars? Perhaps the reasonable price does that.
The cable is very basic but the TV was excellent. The breakfast was continental and included yogurt. Kay announced that a hot breakfast was planned after kitchen renovation later this month.
I will recommend this motel to all my visiting travelers and business travelers.

Room Tip: Private entrances with stairs for the 2nd floor rooms. Located along Central Ave, which is a major...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
KCMO
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We were traveling to California to visit our daughter and son in law, and I chose to stay at the Sandia Peak Inn based upon the favorable reviews that I read on Tripadvisor. I have stayed in "fancy" hotels and paid many times the rate that we were charged for our room at this motel. Never, however, have I received the value for my dollar that I received here. My wife has trouble with stairs, so were offered a first floor corner room. The room was spotlessly clean, bedsheets and towels were fresh, the WiFi was excellent, and the beds were comfortable. The room had a mini-fridge, microwave and hair dryer. The exterior of the inn is clean and well maintained, as well, and it is tastefully decorated with southwest style statuary and plantings. Unless you believe that it is impossible to stay in a room which offers much more than a clean, comfortable stay, there is nothing not to like about this inn.

In addition to the wonderful room, we were greeted by a friendly and helpful staff. Even at 8:30pm, it was obvious that they wished to please us. This was made even more evident the next morning, as we were preparing to leave. I was warmly greeted by the motel's maintenance person as he came down the stairs next to my vehicle. He asked how our stay went, and when I told him how pleased we were, he replied, "That's why we're here." But, to top even that, my wife had accidentally dropped one of her earrings down the vanity drain while getting ready that morning. It was not an expensive item, but she hated to lose it. When we stopped at the office to let them know that we were leaving, they graciously offered us breakfast, and my wife mentioned that she had lost the ring in the sink drain. The owner encouraged us to eat breakfast while she had Richard?...I think that was his name...take the sink trap apart to retrieve my wife's earring. While we were eating, he brought it to us at our table. Try getting THAT in a $200 per night hotel!

Finally, as were getting into our car, I spoke with Richard again and thanked him for his efforts. I found that he was soon to travel to Colorado to visit his daughter, and I wished him well. This little place was a gift from God on our way to California, and if we ever return this way again, we'll be sure to remember the Sandia Peak Inn.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank larryf1952
oklahoma city
Reviewed January 2, 2013

This is the only hotel I've ever stayed in that actually smelled good. Usually hotel rooms either have no smell or smell bad. The rooms are basic, but for the price, you can't beat these clean rooms and the friendly service. The small indoor heated pool is a bonus!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This motel definitely stands out from the other motel properties on this road, for being clearly very clean and well-maintained. We arrived late on a Saturday evening and received an upstairs room. The room was large, with a nice TV and very good Internet connection. As expected, the bathroom facilities are very basic (one sink, shower/tub combo, toilet) but they are clean. It's nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room, though we did not use either for this one-night stay. We did take advantage of the washer and dryer, having been on the road for eight days at that point. We did not try the breakfast, having eaten late the night before and not being hungry, but it was a clean, pleasant breakfast room. The owner said she was there 24/7 and bless her heart, I think she really is--I hope she gets some rest sometimes! Overall, the place is a good value, with the only real drawback being the road noise.

1 Thank Leslie K
Naples, Florida
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Stayed here based on other TA reviews and was very pleased. Kay is very friendly and we got the $49 dollar special. Upstairs room but parking is close. Used the guest laundry which was a big help. Room is very large, very clean, and nice.

LAS VEGAS
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed at the Sandia Peak Motel for 1 night during a roadtrip. The location was great for visiting Old Town and the other sights. The exterior was very clean and immaculate and this gave a great first impression. The owner was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We stayed in a hot tub room which was beautiful. It was very spacious and was very clean with lovely decor. The added touches such as flowers and pictures made it feel like home. The hot tub was a lovely way to relax and unwind after a busy day sightseeing. The king sized bed was comfortable and there was a flat screen TV with all the channels. There was a lovely little indoor pool with plenty of extra towels provided. The breakfast area was spacious and very clean and immaculate. Again, ornaments and pictures gave the room a homely feel. The breakfast selection was great with plenty of fresh fruit and yoghurts provided (the one chain motel we stayed in during the trip did not provide these). The Sandia Peak is one of the best motels we have stayed in and we would definitely recommend it, as it is a step above the usual chain motels. We were sorry to leave, and would defintely stay again. Well done!

1 Thank ALISON S