“Clean, Accommodating, and Affordable”

Sandia Peak Inn Motel
Ranked #7 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Pride of ownership is obvious in all the details of this motel. The room was clean and tidy, the hotel well maintained, and the breakfast buffet delicious. The inn keeper is very kind and makes sure to accommodate any guest needs. Would stay again!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank BonnieM689
Write a ReviewReviews (1,182)

Reviewed August 5, 2012

We are used to staying at Hotels. I wanted a blast from the past. It was a very clean and friendly place. The light breakfast was much enjoyed after eating so heavily on our long Route 66 trip. The only complaint was that the smoke alarm battery needed to be replaced and started warning us at 3:30 am. It was our fault that we waited until checkout to notify of such. My husband was not comfortable with the area, he did not feel safe. But I feel it adds to the nostalgia.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lmlasker
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Sandia Peak is nowhere near Sandia Peak but it is a wonderful motel. It is CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN! My room was spotless and fresh (none of that awful motel cleaning spray perfume). Kay checked with me to see if the room was ok. I had a luxurious king bed with a great, firm mattress. The room has a fridge, microwave, and coffee maker as well as a full-sized ironing board and iron. The breakfast included coffee, fruit, oatmeal, cereal, breakfast cakes, and yogurt. It has all the feel of the motel from the 50's and 60's in the attention to detail and upkeep, yet seems refreshingly new and modern with flat screen TV and high speed internet. Beautifully appointed wood furniture and clean carpet gives the room the feeling of quality. I highly recommend skipping the big chains which are often impersonal and not that clean and stay at Sandia Peak for a quality experience. It's right on 66, so convenient to shopping, restaurants, and highways. Hungry? There's a fantastic Pros Ranch (very Mexican) market nearby with fabulous tamales and baked goods, a Brazilian frybread restaurant, and the iconic Monte Carlo steakhouse.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank burmababe
Reviewed August 3, 2012

After we rode the Sandia tram had a restful and comfortable night at this cozy motel that is conveniently located in Albuquerque. Our room was fresh, clean and very comfortable. There was an up to date flat screen tv, internet, microwave, mini fridge, coffeemaker and blow dryer. Also a small pool is available. We enjoyed a delicious continental breakfast with lots of fresh fruit in a cheerful breakfast room. We were impressed by the friendly, caring management.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I know this is kind of long but wanted to try and help with why the reviews are so good as ours is
This motel is off the interstate and a little hard to find don't let that stop you as you are only a couple of blocks from the Rio Grande river and right center almost of 4 casinos if you can find them. There are several good eating (fast food ) places close by and a couple of CVS pharmacies as well as stores .Stay awayf rom ALBERTSONS food store prices out of site
We like everyone else was passing thru. We first picked this motel because of the rave reviews.After a bit that old to good to be true feeling started creeping in. I then only found a few bad reviews and did question all the good one even more.
We thought what the heck we have slept in the front seat of a miata convertiable so it could be no worse
We made the resverations and told them we would be late
Upon arrival the manager greeted us she let us know she was kay and if we needed anything let her know
While checking in a gentleman came in says the volume on remote wilol not work ,she sent her husband scooting over there as soon as he came in
I wondered about her asking us a couple f times before and after checking in if we had dogs cats or any pets. My thought is your memory that short latter on that subject
We go to our room and found it very much more than what we expected,you add a new microwave, a new fridge,coffee pot and a big flat screen tvand then throw in a indoor pool althoough small it is heated and you can't ask for much more.
We found they had a washer and dryer for guest and contintental breakfast
I agree the breakfast was not like the hilton but for a 60.00 +- room what do you expect .What I did like is they had real milk not that wannabe 2 % or low fat. I am not knocking it just not my cup
Kay was really nice and to me a little over friendly and smiley but that is me. I think she is trying too hard
I agree withanother person iot may be that her living a dream is why she tries so hard.
When she arrived here with her husband years ago they had this dream of a motel . it was nothing more than a dirt pile . He built this place himself from the ground up which is really amazzing
We are staying our second night and have been just as happy as the first night
Now the dog cat problem. I ask her why she ask me a couple of times and she said if you did have any I wanted to give you a chance to be honest about it.
Kay said several times peole have said they had none and then the next morning or after the guest have been checked in for some time then someone sees them with one or the other or both and sometimes twp or three.
When the guest is confronted it is always a problem because the guest does not want o pay a pet depositand pay more for pets. Kay says once they are caught it rarely ends on a good note
Kay told of us a couple that took a room for a week ,then she finds out on the second day that they have a dog . Kay says that was bad because they wanted atheir money back for the third night and she refused because there was no deposit for the pet no charge for the pet and on top of that it was already past check out time.
After that she says once in a while we have things that just happen and get an unhappy customer but most there is a reason .,people change their mind,their card gets rejected,they get into arguements with each other and bother other guest
Kay never said but I am sure once in a while they mess up and things happen with that I do think they try and it is a really good place to stay

Room Tip: we had room 114 and it was a great room,everything appears to be new and well taken care of
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Situated alongside the Rio Grande in Albuquerque's old town, you will find Sandia Peak Inn Motel. For some of the best rates I've encountered and the best service you've had, stay here. The owner, Kay, built the place ground up and wishes to be as friendly as possible, keep every room clean, and provide the best service she can. She suggested the best restraunts had a 24 hour smile, and best of all, told us her story of how she's lived the American dream. You don't find many places in this kind of condition, not owned by a franchise, and so well kept. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting the area, and would stay there again myself.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 27, 2012

As most people on the road, we were drivng across country and decided to stay in Albuquerque
for the night. Having checked TA for reviews this hotel came up pretty high on the ratings.
We called earlier in the day and made a reservation for that night. The overall reviews were high and the price was right. So here are my comments:
-Owner is super nice and helpful
-room clean, she even gave us a suite for a few more dollars
-quiet and the breakfast was a nice touch
So maybe not right off the freeway but pretty close to Old Town, so for the money you can't beat it. Yes there are a ton of chain hotels, but this owner deserves all the good reviews for her efforts.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple