“Handicap Friendly”

Sandia Peak Inn Motel
Ranked #6 of 143 Hotels in Albuquerque
Reviewed August 16, 2011

My folks and sister came to Albuquerque for a 5-night stay and to attend my daughter's wedding! My dad is handicap and finding the right place for him was a priority. The Sandia Peak Inn Motel had the perfect room including a large handicap bath with a roll-in shower and fold-down shower seat. My sister had the adjoining suite with direct access to their room through a connecting door. The rooms were modern, clean, comfortable and well-furnished. The fridge and microwave were an unexpected bonus and were ideal for keeping food and drinks in the room during an extended stay. Handicap parking was just outside the door and made it easy to transfer to and from the car for visits to all the nearby tourist spots. Kay and Pat were amazing hosts and see to your every need. This motel is reasonably priced and will be our numero uno choice for all future friends and family visits.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank craig f
Write a ReviewReviews (1,173)

Reviewed August 15, 2011

We were recieved by Kay who was very nice, she had already set our room a/c. Room was super clean. Prolly the cleanest hotel Ive stayed during a road trip!

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank kristiboricua
Reviewed August 15, 2011

I can't say enough about the host at the Sandia Peak Motel. She went with us to our room to make sure we were pleased and even showed us another room for comparison. Modern facilities include key-cards that are held near the door instead of being shoved into a slot. Secure and well-lit parking. We were so favorably impressed that I looked up this site to make a review.

2  Thank Kenneth H
Reviewed August 14, 2011

The motel was built new on an older motel location in 2006, so it still is modern and upgraded. The owners have chosen quality items and tasteful decor, such as 46 inch flat television mounted on the wall with 6 HBO channels (but not HD), larger than usual stainless.
refrigerator with freezer, microwave, and above average southwestern furniture and fabrics. The service was friendly and attentive. When we couldn't raise the volume on the. TV, the manager came right over to fix it. On check in, the manager walked us to our room and explained the features. The air conditioner was set on 68, making the room comfortable from the first minute. The room was very spacious with a large table and chairs to eat take out dinner, plus another comfortable easy chair for reading. Bed was a very comfortable king. The breakfast area was immaculate and spacious. The breakfast was simple...coffee, tea, juice, banana, hot and cold cereals, and a few pastries/muffins.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank ocotillo
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Sandia Peak Inn, Albuquerque, NM

We chose the Sandia Peak Inn because (a) it was more reasonably priced than the majority of places, and (b) TripAdvisor ranks it second (popularity index) among all 142 hotels in Albuquerque. We were not disappointed.

The Sandia Peak Inn is visually appealing, sporting an attractive Southwestern look, painted in turquoise and terra cotta. Our room was furnished consistently in Southwestern; ours had two queen beds, a sofa, two arm chairs, coffeetable, and sturdy low table for opening luggage on. The room was absolutely clean; it smelled clean. Even the typical musty motel carpet smell was conspicuously absent! I gave the room the white glove test: Tops of door frames—no dust. Tops of picture frames—no dust. Chair rungs—no dust! The bathroom was sparkling clean.

The hot water was plentiful and extremely hot. (Note: if you travel with a baby or small child, keep this in mind to avoid scalding.)

The hotel staff was very friendly and courteous, and genuinely, almost obsessively committed to maintaining very high standards. And they succeed at it.

A simple continental breakfast is offered, consisting of coffee, milk, cereal, danish, fruit (bananas), bread/toast, and orange juice.

There is a laundry room with coin-operated machines, and an indoor pool.

The Sandia Peak Inn is located on Central Avenue just west of the Rio Grande river; Old Town Albuquerque is only about ten minutes away; the airport 15 minutes away. The Rio Grande with its park and jogging trails is only 5 minutes away, as is the Botanical Gardens.

Tip: If you have some free time at sunset (or sunrise, for that matter), drive West approximately 1/3 of a mile and turn right on Yucca, then drive about 1/3 of a mile, and you will find a small park with a spectacular view of Albuquerque with the Sandia Mountains in the background. The park seems safe; many residents of the immediate area walk, jog or play there.

Bottom line: If I ever return to Albuquerque, this is where I want to stay. Period.

2  Thank Papachote
Reviewed August 12, 2011

Kay owns the place. She keeps this very clean. Rooms are updated, flat screen TVs. She offers as much as possible to make you feel at home. Pool was very small but it didn't stop us from getting in everyday and enjoying the warm water. We could walk to KMart and a few eating places but also a very short drive to the 'Old Towne Albuquerque" where all the good shops and eateries are. The price cannot be beat and well worth the money. We had seven in our party and all us agreed there was nothing to complain about.

1  Thank kln24
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I booked this place about 2 hours before arriving, via spotty cell phone reception. I tried to find an Albuquerque motel that was decently priced, dog friendly and had 2 queen beds. It was a bit high for the type of lodging and star rating, I asked the lady on the phone if they had a govt. rate and she said no, but she would take $10 off. I took it, I didn't want to drive all evening, and with the dog we are limited on our options.

The owner was extremely friendly and nice, always asking how we were when she saw us, and she would tell us to let her know if we needed anything.

The motel is located close to the Old Town area, and there are a lot of restaurants nearby as well.

The room was very clean and freshly painted, the beds decent. The only complaint I have is that there was no stopper in the bathtub, and of course I had decided to take a bath. I used the plastic bag liner in the ice bucket and that did the trick.

The pool is indoors and is decent, fairly small but adequate.

There was a free continental breakfast offered. We're not ones to get up real early if we don't have to, and even though we were there well before the cut off time there were only 2 muffins left and cold cereal. The owner noticed and came in and filled things up again. It wasn't a big selection, but adequate - fruit, packaged muffins and pastries, cereal - I don't expect much from a continental breakfast.

The motel is pet friendly, but I didn't like the area my dog had to go to in order to do his "business". I had to take him outside the property onto a dark side street and let him relieve himself in the "grass" there - which was only weeds in some very small areas that was very uncomfortable to walk in.

One more thing that I didn't care for, is that I went to get some ice from the vending machine area, and it was in a room that was all locked up for the night. I've never been in a place where you couldn't get ice at any time, and it was about 11pm when I tried.

All in all, it was a very decent place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family