“My Favorite Motel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Emerald Isle
“My Favorite Motel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2011

I can't say enough about the host at the Sandia Peak Motel. She went with us to our room to make sure we were pleased and even showed us another room for comparison. Modern facilities include key-cards that are held near the door instead of being shoved into a slot. Secure and well-lit parking. We were so favorably impressed that I looked up this site to make a review.

2 Thank Kenneth H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Polish first
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

The motel was built new on an older motel location in 2006, so it still is modern and upgraded. The owners have chosen quality items and tasteful decor, such as 46 inch flat television mounted on the wall with 6 HBO channels (but not HD), larger than usual stainless.
refrigerator with freezer, microwave, and above average southwestern furniture and fabrics. The service was friendly and attentive. When we couldn't raise the volume on the. TV, the manager came right over to fix it. On check in, the manager walked us to our room and explained the features. The air conditioner was set on 68, making the room comfortable from the first minute. The room was very spacious with a large table and chairs to eat take out dinner, plus another comfortable easy chair for reading. Bed was a very comfortable king. The breakfast area was immaculate and spacious. The breakfast was simple...coffee, tea, juice, banana, hot and cold cereals, and a few pastries/muffins.

• Stayed August 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank ocotillo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2011

Sandia Peak Inn, Albuquerque, NM

We chose the Sandia Peak Inn because (a) it was more reasonably priced than the majority of places, and (b) TripAdvisor ranks it second (popularity index) among all 142 hotels in Albuquerque. We were not disappointed.

The Sandia Peak Inn is visually appealing, sporting an attractive Southwestern look, painted in turquoise and terra cotta. Our room was furnished consistently in Southwestern; ours had two queen beds, a sofa, two arm chairs, coffeetable, and sturdy low table for opening luggage on. The room was absolutely clean; it smelled clean. Even the typical musty motel carpet smell was conspicuously absent! I gave the room the white glove test: Tops of door frames—no dust. Tops of picture frames—no dust. Chair rungs—no dust! The bathroom was sparkling clean.

The hot water was plentiful and extremely hot. (Note: if you travel with a baby or small child, keep this in mind to avoid scalding.)

The hotel staff was very friendly and courteous, and genuinely, almost obsessively committed to maintaining very high standards. And they succeed at it.

A simple continental breakfast is offered, consisting of coffee, milk, cereal, danish, fruit (bananas), bread/toast, and orange juice.

There is a laundry room with coin-operated machines, and an indoor pool.

The Sandia Peak Inn is located on Central Avenue just west of the Rio Grande river; Old Town Albuquerque is only about ten minutes away; the airport 15 minutes away. The Rio Grande with its park and jogging trails is only 5 minutes away, as is the Botanical Gardens.

Tip: If you have some free time at sunset (or sunrise, for that matter), drive West approximately 1/3 of a mile and turn right on Yucca, then drive about 1/3 of a mile, and you will find a small park with a spectacular view of Albuquerque with the Sandia Mountains in the background. The park seems safe; many residents of the immediate area walk, jog or play there.

Bottom line: If I ever return to Albuquerque, this is where I want to stay. Period.

2 Thank Papachote
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2011

Kay owns the place. She keeps this very clean. Rooms are updated, flat screen TVs. She offers as much as possible to make you feel at home. Pool was very small but it didn't stop us from getting in everyday and enjoying the warm water. We could walk to KMart and a few eating places but also a very short drive to the 'Old Towne Albuquerque" where all the good shops and eateries are. The price cannot be beat and well worth the money. We had seven in our party and all us agreed there was nothing to complain about.

1 Thank kln24
Laredo, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

I booked this place about 2 hours before arriving, via spotty cell phone reception. I tried to find an Albuquerque motel that was decently priced, dog friendly and had 2 queen beds. It was a bit high for the type of lodging and star rating, I asked the lady on the phone if they had a govt. rate and she said no, but she would take $10 off. I took it, I didn't want to drive all evening, and with the dog we are limited on our options.

The owner was extremely friendly and nice, always asking how we were when she saw us, and she would tell us to let her know if we needed anything.

The motel is located close to the Old Town area, and there are a lot of restaurants nearby as well.

The room was very clean and freshly painted, the beds decent. The only complaint I have is that there was no stopper in the bathtub, and of course I had decided to take a bath. I used the plastic bag liner in the ice bucket and that did the trick.

The pool is indoors and is decent, fairly small but adequate.

There was a free continental breakfast offered. We're not ones to get up real early if we don't have to, and even though we were there well before the cut off time there were only 2 muffins left and cold cereal. The owner noticed and came in and filled things up again. It wasn't a big selection, but adequate - fruit, packaged muffins and pastries, cereal - I don't expect much from a continental breakfast.

The motel is pet friendly, but I didn't like the area my dog had to go to in order to do his "business". I had to take him outside the property onto a dark side street and let him relieve himself in the "grass" there - which was only weeds in some very small areas that was very uncomfortable to walk in.

One more thing that I didn't care for, is that I went to get some ice from the vending machine area, and it was in a room that was all locked up for the night. I've never been in a place where you couldn't get ice at any time, and it was about 11pm when I tried.

All in all, it was a very decent place to stay.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

I read the reviews on TripAdvisor.com and had to find out for myself. Absolutely a very pleasant experience, the best customer service I've ever had, and I've stayed at some of the so-called best places in the country. Kay, office manager, went out of her way to make us feel welcomed! Always a smile, informative, and genuine concern that our stay was above 'acceptable'. I made our reservation via the phone, three days out from Albuquerque, and the rates and room were as she described. I didn't go in expecting a Marriott, Hilton, or Embassey Suites acommodations, but for half or a third of the daily rate of those high end palaces, our room was quite good. Very clean, everything worked, flat screen tv with plenty of choices, internet service, great king size bed, free lite breakfast/coffee, and spacious room.

Only one negative thought.......parking space lines could have been painted further apart.

If spending a night or two in Albuquerque, give the Sandia Peak Inn your business and I'm sure you will agree with all of the other review writers, that Kay is an acceptionally fine hostess, you will save money, and have a pleasant experience. I'll stay there again when in Albuquerque!

1 Thank sparky464
Saint Paul, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

Kay is an amazing host. I called to say we would be late checking in due to bad weather. She said to take our time and be safe. When we arrived our room was already cooled down because Kay turned on the a/c for us. Room was very nice and clean.

The next morning we overslept and missed the free breakfast. What did Kay do? She brought out all the food and told us to help ourselves. Asked when we should show up the next morning and were told "whenever you like, guests are the highest priority". How often do you get service like that?

I would stay again and recommend that everyone pick this motel. Good rates, great service, and very close to Old Town.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family