“Wonderful Staff”

Ranked #37 of 144 Hotels in Albuquerque
Riverside, California
“Wonderful Staff”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We had a nice stay at the Hilton Garden Inn. Even though we had not requested an early check-in, they allowed us to check into our room when we arrived before noon. Since we had had an extremely early flight, that was very nice. Unfortunately, we couldn't enjoy the early check-in because of a problem with the room (see below).

Pros:
– friendly and accommodating staff
– great location
– comfortable room – spotlessly clean
– free Internet in room
– cooked breakfast
– nice amenities (free cookies, free water, microwave and fridge in the room, nice toiletries)
– ample free parking

Cons:
– The air freshener smell was so strong when we checked in that we had to leave the room to air out for several hours. However, the cleaning staff was extremely accommodating when we requested that they not use it for the remainder of our stay.
– The pool has amazing slide, but it was always filled with children and we were never able to enjoy the pool or Jacuzzi. Admittedly, it is not the hotel's fault that parents allow their children to take over facilities. If you have kids, this might be great; however, if you want to relax in the hot tub, this could be an issue.
– Must pay for breakfast The Monday staff was not as friendly as the weekend staff. When we asked for butter instead of the revolting spread that was available, we got a lot of attitude and were told that they did not provide butter, even though there had been butter over the weekend. This is a very small matter but annoying considering that we paid for the meal.

Overall, this is a great place to stay and I would recommend it. We would not hesitate to stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Request a room on the parking lot side and ask that it not be sprayed with air freshener.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 28, 2011

I can't say enough about how nice this hotel is. The staff are very friendly and helpful, even beyond what you would expect. That goes a long way in any business!

The room
Our room was comfortable. The beds are adjustable for firmness or softness, which is a nice touch. The room was kept very clean. It comes with a good-sized fridge. Two complaints I have about the room: the a/c and TV did now work properly. We asked about it in the lobby, and they were very responsive, sent a maintenance guy up right away. But it never worked right. The room was either hot or freezing. Also, the TV reception didn't come in clear on certain channels.

A word of advice: Make sure you ask for a room on the parking lot side of the hotel. My relatives spent their first night - a sleepless one - on the highway side. They said it was unbearable. Otherwise, the hotel was very quiet. The doors close softly, and we only heard people once, in the hallway.

Location
Perfect location. Right next to I-40. Across from a shopping center. Many restaurants nearby.

Amenities
I used the indoor pool. The pool is small, but with enough room to swim laps, which I did. It does seem crowded with families on the weekends, as there is a large water slide, which seems to be a big draw. I didn't use the fitness center, but it looked big enough to me.

The business center is OK, but there are only 2 computers and 1 of them didn't work very well. It was very slow. So everyone was competing for 1 computer. Overall, though, it wasn't too crowded and there's a printer.

Breakfast
Our breakfast was included as part of a package deal. It was OK, definitely better than Hampton Inn and other hotels, as you can get eggs and omelettes cooked to order, along with self-serve fruit, toast, coffee, juice, etc.

Overall, the complaints I have are minor. The hotel is very pleasant with a beautiful lobby, which we sat in quite a bit. The rooms are nice and clean. And the customer service is outstanding. I would definitely stay here again and would recommend it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the parking lot side, away from the highway
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mediachick
Panhandle, Texas
Reviewed August 21, 2011

When I arrived, there were six people ahead of me waiting to check in. The hotel clerks were excellent at providing service once you got to the front of the line, but I was impatient after a five-hour drive and would have liked to get up to my room. Then when I got my keys, they didn't work and I had to go back downstairs. Frustrating, but not a disaster by any means. They handled the mishap with utmost professionalism.

The lobby was beautiful. The hotel has a nice bar and a great breakfast (that is not included in the stay unless you get the special breakfast included rate). I was dining with someone who had the breakfast included in her rate and since I only drank coffee and ate a bagel, the hotel didn't charge me for my breakfast.

The rooms were clean, spacious and featured beds which allowed you to select your firmness level.

The concierge was very friendly and offered some of my traveling companions hugs when she recognized them as return customers.

I will be traveling to Albuquerque often and I prefer the Homewood Suites over this hotel, but would stay here again as my second choice. It was conveniently located to several shops and restaurants in Uptown.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the Interstate. The highway noise was loud on my side of the hotel...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Northbrook, Illinois
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Stayed for one night while attending a family event. Pulling into the easily accessible hotel - right off of I40 and near great "modern" shopping if that's your turn-on , or a quick 10 minute drive to "Old Town" for the more traditional New Mexico fare.

First concern was seeing the huge waterside for the indoor pool - oh, oh - kid magnet, and a place for parents to take their kids for a cheap weekend. The hotel was full of families with kids and I can honestly say while we saw them in the halls and lobby - we never heard them while inside the room.

The front-desk staff was friendly and efficient during check-in or in answering our questions. We had a small suite, which was perfect for a family of three. Breakfast was very good - as a Hilton Gold it was included in our room.

We previously stayed at the Homewood Suite around the corner, from the Hilton Garden and found this hotel to be a much better experience for us.

Look for great pricing, especially during the weekends.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the parking lot.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mchud
San Francisco, California
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Loved the Uptown location. Hotel is within a safe walking distance to great shopping and restaurants. Stayed here on a weekend, and found the hotel to stay busy with families. Swimming pool features a waterslide that was kept pretty packed with children. hotel offers a buffet breakfast at 11.95 per person each morning. High speed internet is free and that was an added value. There is a full service bar on property as well as a restuarant. The hotel also shares a parking lot with Buca de Beppo...which is a nice option. I would definitely stay here again, when needing an uptown location.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
San Francisco
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Stayed in a suite at at this Hilton and found it very spacious and clean, main room had a desk with 4 office chairs, ethernet access (+free wi-fi), wet bar area and half-bathroom. The main bedroom had a king size bed connected to a full bath that was well equipped and very clean. Both rooms had closets, dressers, AC units and LCD TV's, although I couldn't only find one remote control between the two TV's and it's batteries were drained!

Even though this room was right around the corner from the elevator I couldn't hear that at all, what I could hear was the VERY LOUD freeway that was literally right outside my window. Even if you have the AC on you can hear all kinds of traffic ripping along Hwy 40, not only that but the garbage containers are also on this side of the hotel and create a racket when they're cleaned. So remember my advice, MAKE SURE YOU REQUEST THE NON-FREEWAY SIDE! You're welcome.

Room Tip: Make sure you request the non-freeway side of the hotel!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank GRANTUR1SMO
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 30, 2011

I travel quite a bit for work and stay quite a bit at HGIs. So I am able to compare and contrast this chain across the country. I am also a Diamond HHonors member.

The reception by the front desk was welcoming and they did recognize me as a HHonors member. They also paid attention to my comments I entered when I booked the room but was upgraded to a different floor and room when I requested a Diamond Upgrade. My room was on the 3rd floor and had a separate living room attached to the bedroom and bathroom area. The room was clean, but the sheets could have been a touch better. There were stains or blemishes on them and I just didn't feel like complaining this time around. To be honest, most hotels can't supply perfectly clean sheets. This is a common problem everywhere. I don't know why. As with other HGIs, there is a mini fridge in the room.

Breakfast was the HGI breakfast. It had a hot line where you could place orders for eggs. You can simply order what you want, take the number to your table, and the food will be taken to you when it's ready. There is a separate area for fruit, yogurt, and juices. The fruit was excellent because the cantaloupe and pineapple were perfectly ripe. Even nicer hotels (more expensive ones) have a hard time producing fresh fruit. The breakfast area is right next to the restaurant/bar in the hotel lobby.

I didn't swim in the pool, and I wouldn't recommend it to adults who just want to take a dip to relax while on the road. However, if you have kids, I am sure they will enjoy the slide. It's an indoor pool and located next to the exercise room. The "gym" is tiny, although this doesn't surprise me. I would recommend getting a workout in during off-peak hours so you don't have to wait for a treadmill to open up. There are only 2.

Parking is plentiful and free. The hotel is located adjacent to Buca de Beppo (italian fare) and the Marriott. There is also a questionable Coronado Apartment Complex on the other side, but I have to admit I didn't see any potential problems in the parking lot and didn't feel unsafe. The back door to the hotel locks after 5pm (I think) and you need a hotel key to get in that way. Also, the hotel is literally on I-40. Just like the fellow reviewers on this site, get a room on the NORTH side of the hotel - the side facing the Sandia Mountains.

I'd also recommend that if you get an upgraded room, ask for one higher than floor 3. My view did face the mountains, but I also caught part of the roof and air conditioning units.

I would recommend this hotel and probably would stay here again. The location is quite close to some restaurants and shops, but you still have to walk across fairly busy streets if you want to walk to the Uptown shopping area. I would say it's about a 5-10 minute walk. My tip: take a look at the Homewood Suites in Uptown. It's in the middle of the Uptown shopping district and a quick stroll out the front door will take you to your choice of restaurants and shops. I didn't go inside the hotel, but it looks brand new from the outside.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the north side.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business