“Hard to find but nice” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 183 things to do in Albuquerque
More attraction details
Owner description: Up to 15,000 petroglyphs or prehistoric rock art images have been found on the West Mesa volcanic escarpment, located along a 17-mile canyon outside of Albuquerque.
Superior, Colorado
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Hard to find but nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

GPS does not work around here and the park is really spread out. Saw just one small part but we did see lots of petroglyphs in a natural environment. Will spend more time next time around.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank jollyberries

Columbus, Texas
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“I Love Petrglyphs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

I always enjoy examining petroglyphs, and I feel like you really should see this cultural monument if you are in the area. Like all National Parks, the visitors center here has very knowledgable staff. Stop there and let them help you decide how much to do because the place is pretty big, and the summer sun can be...wow...wear a hat. I also found the volcanic geography interesting. If you love the petroglyphs and haven't been to Three Rivers Petroglyphs near Ruidoso, please go there. It is kind of out in the middle of nowhere, so not as many people make it out there, but the the density and quality of the petroglyphs is mind-boggling!

1 Thank LinusAdvice
Jackson, Mississippi
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Interesting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We almost skipped over this place, but I'm so glad that we didn't. It's located in the city, but is separated because it's a national park. It was very interesting. The petroglyphs were very visible and interesting to see. I wish that I had allotted more time for the visit.

1 Thank mcf6768
Mesa, Arizona
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great experience for kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2014

My girls participate in the Jr. Ranger program and loved this National Monument. The books were kid friendly and helped get my girls engaged in nature and the history of the monument. Wonderful experience for the whole family!!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Definitely make a stop here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We ended up spending much longer at this National Monument than originally planned. There's much more to it than just looking at some petroglyphs (though those are awesome to see), particularly if you have younger children. My son loved the hike to the top and we loved just watching him take it all in. Everyone was very friendly too...definitely recommend.

1 Thank Shannon H