“Fun Hike”

and up
Albuquerque Sunrise Balloon Ride
Ranked #13 of 224 things to do in Albuquerque
More attraction details
Owner description: Up to 15,000 petroglyphs or prehistoric rock art images have been found on the West Mesa volcanic escarpment, located along a 17-mile canyon outside of Albuquerque.
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Beautiful outcropping of rock. Hike is not difficult. We were lucky enough to experience HEARING a real rattlesnake. A great experience while visiting the GREAT WEST!

There are newer reviews for Petroglyph National Monument

Reviewed June 13, 2014

What can I say? Wide open spaces. Wind blowing away all my stresses. Feels like the plains up there. I love to sit quietly near the end of the day in the cave at the top of the highest volcano and just survey the landscape and the sky. The view overlooking the valley is impressive and really interesting. This is a no frills place to enjoy nature and so it's not too crowded and really peaceful. Please stay away so I can keep it all to myself. (haha) I would like to get married up there, under the moonlight. I don't think it's allowed.

1  Thank Tarananda
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We visited in April of 2014 and it was, as everyone informed us, unseasonably cold. Regardless of the cold we enjoyed the petroglyphs very much. Not to mention that this was where we saw our first roadrunner. The hike was not too strenuous even for couples in our 60's.

Reviewed June 5, 2014

If you have Native American blood coursing through your veins, or just love a good hike, the petroglyphs are a must see. Hundreds of carvings from past inhabitants make the mind wonder what they mean. It is amazing they have stood the test of time and natural forces. My 8 year old loved trying to make up stories about what each one meant and became quite the detective finding them.

1  Thank tksglant
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Boca Negra canyon is where most of the petroglyphs are, and the view from there is amazing - ancient rock art with modern suburban sprawl in the background. However, if you're (like me) out of shape, the hike up the hill is strenuous, so be warned. Just go early in the morning before it gets too hot, and take lots of water.
You'll also probably see some wildlife on the trail and/or at the picnic tables. We spotted two kinds of lizards, several birds, and a rock squirrel.

1  Thank DeLani B