“The best B&B in New Mexico and one of the very best in North America.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Downtown Historic Bed & Breakfasts of Albuquerque

Downtown Historic Bed & Breakfasts of Albuquerque
Ranked #1 of 15 Albuquerque B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Toronto, Canada
“The best B&B in New Mexico and one of the very best in North America.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed 3 nights with Kara and Steve and what a treat. Their attention to detail was amazing. Sensational breakfasts with a new menu item every day. They have laundry facilities with machines that wash and dry within an hour. No charge. It's a short walk to the University with a number of different attractions. Two very good restaurants a short distance from the house.

Room Tip: Pick the Gold Room in the Spy House. You get your own, private entrance,
Green Features: Eggs from their own hens. Recycling bins for guests. No plastic, even for water.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

First review on trip advisor here, so please bear with me.

I stayed at the Spy House for 4 nights. The accommodations are fantastic, this place is a dream. Great history, architecture, very cozy, amazing decor; this B&B delivers on every aspect. Not only is it beautiful, it is also in a great location (steps away from pizza place, Artichoke Cafe, downtown, Convention Center - you name it). The selling point here is the dedication and hospitality of its owners and its staff. They are amazing at what they do, which is, to make you feel at home. Highly recommend this B&B. Check out their Murder Mystery nights -from what I have heard, they are a blast.

Downtown Historic B&B - Thank you for being such great hosts!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Lawrenceville, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

This was our first actual visit to ABQ (we usually go straight to Santa Fe). We decided to stay in a B&B (instead of a hotel) - often no more expensive than a reasonably priced hotel and more character. Well, character this had. We chose not to rent a car, so one of the deciding factors was the downtown location - an easy and inexpensive shuttle ride from the airport. Many restaurants and other activities were located within easy walking distance/access to public transportation. The people of ABQ were very friendly and helpful in navigating the public transportation system. We stayed in the Freeman room at the Spy House (they own 2 adjacent buildings). The accommodations were perfect for our visit. We happened to be the only ones in the house, so it was very quiet. The bedroom was very comfortable and we loved the clawfoot tub in the bathroom. The books on the shelf in the living room were very interesting and the house has lots of interesting historical "things".. The Internet connection was good. Breakfast was scrumptious! The owners are very nice. We saw mostly Steve Grant during our stay, but Kara popped in briefly. They also have turkeys and bunnies in the back yard - a beautiful place to hang out or hold a gathering (like a wedding reception). The properties are also often used for film shoots (like the series "Crash"). All in all a fabulous start to our vacation. We should have done this sooner.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I stayed one night in the Heritage house and four in the Spy House. Both were great - lovely rooms - very clean and charming. I thoroughly enjoyed the breakfasts - everything was delicious and used local ingredients, including eggs from the back garden. It's a central location, although probably more convenient if you have a car. I felt that the innkeeper Steve really went the extra mile to make me feel at home and there were loads of extra touches (like cookies, cold drinks, irons in the rooms) to make this a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Moyras2013
San Jose, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

I was looking for something a bit different than the usual conference hotel. What I found was a unique combination of gracious accommodations, great food and extraordinary hosts. I stayed in Spy House which has a fascinating history and charming decor. The whole house was warm and inviting, like staying at a good friends place. Both Kara and Steve were welcoming, friendly and helpful. I couldn't have made a better choice!

Green Features: I really appreciated the owners sensitivity to sound sustainable practices and their commitment to locally sourced foods.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Walnut Creek, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

We had not known about the connection between the Spy House and the Rosenbergs, so it was fascinating to hear that from the host and the house is filled with books on the subject.

The breakfasts were very good and cookies were left out in the evening for hungry guests. There was a fridge to keep drinks cold and bottled water available.

This Inn is located downtown rather than Old Town, so there was no noise at night to interrupt our sleep.

We arrived before our room was ready, so the host was kind enough to direct us to an awesome restaurant within walking distance where we ate lunch till our room was ready.

The Inn also has monthly murder mystery dinners that sound like a lot of fun.

This place is highly recommended!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was a bit disappointed with this B & B experience. I am used to friendly owners/staff, this was not the case. I was acutally made to feel like I was an intruder. My welcome letter invited me to go to the kitchen for beverages. Upon doing so, I encountered the owner. He did not greet me, I had to introduce myself. He practically blocked my approach to the kitchen and asked abruptly if he could help me. He did say he was waiting for someone to have a meeting. My perception - I was summarily dismissed. It was a charming, old home. The plus was the great location, a three block walk to Central Ave. with good restaurants. Although I would personally try another B & B (there are many in Albuquerque) I would have to recommend that others give it a try. Hopefully it will be as good as the other reviews for you.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have a private bath so be sure to ask if that is important to you.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank DebW175
SGrantNewMexico, Owner at Downtown Historic Bed & Breakfasts of Albuquerque, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
First and foremost my sincere apologies for your first point of contact not to be what you expected!

This is certainly not what our guests typically experience and because of your recent comment we've heighten our awareness to this particular area to make sure it won't happen again!
We have worked extremely hard to build a reputation (rank #1 for several year now) throughout Albuquerque to provide a warm, friendly and most excellent overall experience.

A little background on this event: I believe on this particular day the owners had been slightly distracted because a important appointment i.e. refi closing of a property happening in kitchen
Therefore the owner was indeed a little concerned about an arrival of a certain person and probably thinking about the many issues that would encompass something such as that.
However that's no excuse and by no means did we mean to make you feel un-welcomed and again I sincerely apologize for not providing a pleasant experience like you deserved or at least explaining to you up front what was happening.

We learned from this experience, like we all do with life's adventures, which makes us more aware of our surroundings and always remembering that the guest/customer is always #1 and therefore treat them as such (regardless). If you read many of the other reviews you should see that overall guest satisfaction is quite excellent for us and would love for this to continue.

Again so sorry that you that you received the first response like you did, but at the same time thank you so much for the wake up call to help improve our overall guest relations in the future.

Thanks so much for choosing to stay at our B&B, would love the opportunity for you to try us again someday..................S

Steve Grant