“Excellent Deal”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sea Girt, NJ
“Excellent Deal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

For the price, you couldn't get a better deal. The room was spacious and very clean. The large country breakfast was way beyond what you would usually get as a hotel-breakfast-add-on. We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
ft lee, va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

I am currently staying here for a 3 month training course in the Army. The housekeepers do an excellent job of cleaning my room. Everywhere you go in the hotel is so clean! Also, there is a pitcher of water with fresh fruit near the front desk daily. Try it if you stay here. It's delicious! I even got locked out of my room because of a door malfunction, and the receptionist on duty did everything in her power to put me at ease in such an inconvenient situation. She brought me snacks and updated me frequently on the status of the problem. Within no time, I was back in my room, and the situation was resolved. I have stayed in a number of hotels for business trips and this one ranks among the top ones I have stayed in.

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Orange Park, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2010

My children and I stumbled across this hotel last fall on a trip back to FL from CT. We usually use the green coupons that you get travelling along I95 to help pick out our stop for the evening. On the way up we had a disasterous stay where we ended up spending more money instead of saving money. So on the way back, we tried once more, but this hotel ad said that it had just opened. We gave it a shot. Upon arrival the young lady at the desk said that they did not have any regular rooms available, but did have a queen suite available and they would honor the coupon for the price of the room. The kids fell in love with this room (so did I)...there were two queen beds in one room and a pull out sofa in the "living room". It was wonderful. So on our latest trip this past week, I made reservations this time and was pleasantly surprised that this was exactly half way to grandma's house. Perfect. We checked in and went to the room and watched as my husband did his inspection and his verdict was "not bad, not bad at all". Breakfast the next morning was hot and fulfilling. LOVE those cinnamon rolls. Our plan on the return trip was to stay just outside DC, but hubby said let's do the extra hours and come back here. So reservations changed. On the way back south, the traffic was horrific. What should have been a 10 hour trip turned into a 14 hour trip. We called the hotel told them we would be late and was ask, but you are still coming correct. I said yes, and the gentleman who answered the phone said no worries. We'll be here for you. So when we dragged in at 12:30 am, the night clerk got us checked in in record time and we stumbled to bed. We had just come from staying at an extremely pricey bed and breakfast in MA who had horrible beds. I think that within moments of hitting the pillows at the HI, I was asleep. The beds are very comfortable, the rooms are clean and the temp in the room perfect considering the heat of the day. Breakfast the next morning was once again stellar and we did get the cinnamon rolls! :) The manager (I wish I had gotten her name), came around the dining room and checked on everyone, asking how their stay was and how their breakfast was. It's nice to see that she cares for her hotel and how things are going. I don't know when we will be heading up north again, but this is our hotel of choice.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Petersburg, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2010

We arrived late at night and went straight to bed so most of my findings didn't occur until the next morning. However, the AC wouldn't go below 72 degrees, which is frustrating because I'm pregnant and it's difficult to sleep at that temp. The sheets came off the bed when we sat on it, indicating it was poorly made, it stayed after we fixed it. The sheets felt like they hadn't been washed, kind of sticky. The lamps only worked half the time, the carpet felt spongy, the shower head was plugged by calcium/lime/whatever so only half of the holes sprayed and sprayed so eratically that even with the too small shower curtain water went down the bathroom door and on the toilet seat and no wonder the room smelled moldy. We tried to go downstairs to swim and my husband was upset because the hot tub wasn't working and I wouldn't swim in the pool. All around the pool was very dirty so there was no way I was getting in the water. Most disturbing, the maid knocked once on the door and within seconds opened it! My husband was in the restroom and I was changing my top. Very disrespectful! The only thing that was okay was the tv worked and the breakfast was okay. Very disappointed in this hotel, the last Holiday Inn we stayed at was fantastic.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
sljonesharris, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Petersburg-Fort Lee, responded to this review, July 14, 2010
We would like to take this time and opportunity to apologize to you from your previous stay. We take all guest matters and comments seriously and I want to assure you that the feedback that you provided will not go unnoticed. I have requested further information from you so if you would contact me via email at sljonesharris@yahoo.com.
Southern NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2010

My husband and I used this hotel as a half-way point between New Jersey and Myrtle Beach, SC. We did not want to drive 11 straight hours so we broke up the trip and stopped half way which was in Petersburg, VA. The Holiday Inn Express was a great pick. It was very clean, quiet, and the staff were pleasant and helpful. I would definitely stay here again. They do offer a free breakfast, but that wasn't such a good experience. The cheese omelets (the only eggs they offered) were cold and rubbery, the sausage was also cold and rubbery and then there was some unidentifiable dish that I avoided. I tried the bagels but they must have been frozen first because both times they were soggy around the edges. The one thing I finally found that was actually delicious were their cinnamon buns. If you stay there, pass on all the cooked foods and the bagels and reach straight for the cinnamon buns. They are really fantastic! So having those and their coffee and a fresh banana actually made the breakfast a nice start to the day!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

Stayed one night on our way to the beach in NC, A/C did not work, it was 86 dgrs. and smelled bad in the rm. We asked for another room and we were placed in a second room which also had A/C issues, but we were finally able to get the temp down to 75 dgrs by the middle of the night. The hallways were disgustingly dirty, appeared to not have been vacuumed in weeks.
Pool and hot tub were closed, which was a disappointment. Vending machine in the hall did not work. Unable to get soda or water. The desk clerk did finally give us a discounted rate, but only after we asked about it the next morning. Never again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
sljonesharris, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Petersburg-Fort Lee, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
I do want to take this time and sincerely apologize for your past experience that you had with us here at our hotel. We strive for perfection and want to make sure every single guests has experienced the ultimate hospitality when they visit us. Unfortunately our pool was shut down for the time that you were here but we looked out for the best interest for all of our guests due to safety reasons. We did provide all guests to use a comparable facility that were located right next to the hotel, due to this circumstance. We also have a 24 hour suite shop that has a variety of items which includes soda, ice cream, snacks and food at your cost. Please give us the opportunity to make your next experience a more pleasurable one and we look forward to your visit in the future. Once again we do apologize and look forward to your visit in the future.
North Shields
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2010

Stayed for one night on route to Georgia. Very clean and comfortable hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful. Good breakfast. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petersburg
Hampton Inn Petersburg - Ft. Lee
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Petersburg
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Petersburg / Dinwiddie
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#8 of 18 in Petersburg
Holiday Inn Petersburg North - Fort Lee
Holiday Inn Petersburg North - F...
#5 of 8 in Colonial Heights
Comfort Suites Southpark
Comfort Suites Southpark
#3 of 8 in Colonial Heights

Been to Holiday Inn Express Petersburg-Fort Lee? Share your experiences!