“An Authentic Greek/Italian Experience”
Review of Mad Italian

Mad Italian
Ranked #11 of 115 Restaurants in Petersburg
Cuisines: Greek, Pizza, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The finest in Italian, Greek and American Cuisine. Family owned. Proudly serving for Forty Two years.
Reviewed May 19, 2014

We have visited the Mad Italian many times and have never been displeased. We decided to take my mother there for her 92nd birthday. All five of us loved our meals....lasagna, eggplant parm., meatball sub, baked spaghetti.... All plates were empty at the conclusion of the meal. We topped off the meal with a delicious piece of chocolate cake. The service was great and Mr. and Mrs. Skordas, the owners, always treat their guests as family. Stop by if you are in town and give them a shot. I think you will thoroughly enjoy the experience.

1  Thank waltonlake

Reviewed May 8, 2014

My husband was in the mood for Italian so we gave it a shot. I asked for a glass of Montepulciano and got a puzzled look for our server, so I knew I was going to be disappointed.
Played it smart & ordered a steak instead. It was OK. Sam's pasta dish was not. The sauce was overly seasoned & way too sweet & the pasta was not al dente. Why this place is even called The Mad Italian is beyond me. Maybe because a real Italian would get mad after eating here. The owner is Greek & in my opinion should stick to his own cuisine. Greek food is delicious but very different from Italian. Yes the sauce was unique, with 15 herbs & spices, but it wasn't like any Italian sauce I've ever had. The menu should be revamped to provide a better description of the offerings. I had no idea my steak was going to arrive smothered in mushrooms & onions. If you want Italian go somewhere else.

Reviewed April 11, 2014

Always look for local restaurants that are recommended by TA when we are on the road. So we tried the Mad Italian. Food was terrible. I had lasagna and chicken parm as a pair and asked for a price waitress said same as pasta pairs. $11.99. Salad was iceberg and under-ripe tomatoes. Dressing was "Greek-Italian"- just awful. Lasagna was reheated. Chicken parm was good but smothered in a beef marinara sauce with "Greek-tasting" spices. Strange flavors and combinations. DH had gyro platter and asked to have a side of spaghetti instead of salad. That. Was a strange request, but what came out of the kitchen was even stranger! The shaved meat was dried out , cold and salty. The rest of the accompaniments were sparse and flavorless. The spaghetti with meat marinara was decent. When the bill came, it should have been $11.99+12.99. We were OVER-charged $13.99 for mine and $12.99 +. 4.99 for a child's spaghetti which was so
Supposed to be the FREE substitute for the salad. So, we won't be eating here or recommending that you eat here! Save your money and eat somewhere else.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I recently stopped into the Mad Italian for dinner. This is not the first time I've eaten here, but it is the first time I've written a review. I had the Sunday Special Spaghetti ala Greek; so delicious!!! it was a great take on spaghetti, no marinara sauce, but instead a great topping of tomatoes, black olives, garlic and feta cheese. I have to say this might be one of my favorite entrees here. If you get the chance, I would very much recommend stopping by on a Sunday to try it! The wait staff are great and friendly, and the owners are always stopping by to talk to customers. Such a great place to eat in Petersburg!!

Reviewed March 22, 2014

My son and I ate here on our family's road trip to Disney World. The restaurant was recommended by the hotel staff. We found the service was very friendly and prompt. The décor was very dated which gave the place a real nice ambiance. The quality of the food was excellent like homemade. The prices were reasonable. All this made for a very comforting experience on the road. We will definitely return someday. Don't change a thing!