“OK to stay in - But check your credit card statement afterwards” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Petersburg / Dinwiddie

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Petersburg / Dinwiddie
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Petersburg
Denmark
“OK to stay in - But check your credit card statement afterwards”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

The hotel is OK - Nothing extraordinary. The location is not the most fantastic, but it was close to one of my main reasons to go to Petersburg: The Pamplin Historical Park.So I had an OK visit here. The free breakfast is OK. My room was nice and clean.

But after I returned home, the problems began: I prepaid my planned one night stay, but changed it a few days before my arrival to a two night visit. When I left the hotel, I paid for the second night. After my return home, my credit card had been charged for three nights (one prepaid, one charged when I changed the reservation and one paid when I left the hotel). First I had to convince Tina (The manager) that they had charged me wrongly. After I succeded in doing that (required several mails and phone calls) she still failed to transfer the money. After a second round of e-mails - several of her reponses rather impolite - I finally got my money back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank GeoTrunk
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Petersburg / Dinwiddie, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear GeoTrunk,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased that you found your room nice and clean. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced over the billing concerns. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

I travel for business all the time and have never submitted a review before, but this hotel management is so terrible, I have to say something.

First, they told me the government rate was $95 in their area, and unfortunately I believed them (it's actually $77), and of course wouldn't change it. So I have to eat the $18 difference.

Then when I asked for a receipt to voucher it, they couldn't print one because Tina's staff didn't know how to put my actual name on it, as opposed to the name they somehow put on my reservation. When Tina finally emailed me the receipt (36 hours later (after 2 phone calls and an email), she still misspelled my name. After calling again, Tina told me "I'll get to it when I can." So right now, I am almost 48 hours into this debacle and still can't fill out a voucher.

Tina is the manager I have dealt with this entire time and she is completely incompetent. Additionally her staff doesn't know how to do anything without asking her, so the entire place is a mess. If you are government, do not stay at this hotel: It should be blacklisted. Everyone else, watch yourself when you deal with them. They are shady and by far the worst staff/management I have ever seen.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JosephSnow
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Petersburg / Dinwiddie, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Dear JosephSnow,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay with us. I want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service and quality of its product. Please accept my sincerest apology for falling short of your expectations on this day, especially with the staff service received. I will follow up with the staff to ensure incidents like this can be avoided in the future.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Crozet, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2012

My husband had the occasion to stay here for one night as he was taking a SCUBA lesson at nearby Lake Rawlings. He thought the hotel was very clean, the staff friendly and helpful, the room comfortable. He said the breakfast was very good. He would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank 07nan
Melrose, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

Staying for 2 weeks this time, finding the free breakfast to be superior to most (bacon, sausage, cheese omelets, gravy and biscuits, sweets, cereals, fruits - every morning) and the room is again clean and comfortable. Service has been friendly and accomodating. Weather has been cloudy/rainy, so I haven't visited the pool but I know it's clean and inviting.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Midlothian
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2011

If you ride a motorcycle, this is NOT the welcoming type of place we are accustomed to. We booked several rooms for our group to stay during the Harley Rally. When the first of our friends arrived, on their handicapped tri-Harley, they were given a, not so welcoming greeting. When I arrived, the negative attitude was very apparent. We had 3 bikes parked under the awning, on the concrete drain area. The bikes were parked since 4:00 p.m., as one of the more friendly attendants stated they would be fine. When the last of our party showed up and parked under the canopy to unload and register, they were greeted by a bitter young receptionist, Meghan G. She strictly informed them; ALL the bikes must be moved. This is after we had limited dinner social drinks. We were taken by surprise, she waited until that late hour to inform us that an “unknown” Dinwiddie Fire fighter called and wanted the bikes moved. We asked for the name of the “unknown” late hour inspection. Ms. Meghan G. did not think to get a name or contact information. Our issue was moving the bikes at this late time. We also were stictly instructed, we must park multiple motorcycles to a space, due to crowding. (at this hour, at this moment, the lot was close to empty)
We went outside and had just finished moving the bikes, 2 sheriff officers drove up, whether that was her intention when she called ( having us on the bikes after alcohol or not).
We spoke with the officer’s and they agreed, we were safely parked and it there was no violation that they could see. As they went into speak with Ms. Meghan G., her story changed. It was NO longer the fire fighters, she told the Sheriff, the owner had called and had issue and when I walked into the area, the story continued to change.
The officers stated to Ms. Meghan G. there was no violation and drove off. To complete our evening and the bitterness, Ms. Meghan G. printed off “No Parking” signs on her PC and duct taped them to the pillars at the entrance.
As we sat outside on the benches, three separate hotel guests pulled up in vehicles. They stopped, read her signs and pulled off to the further parking area and hauled all their belongings and children from the cars and walked the distance to the entrance.
I can tolerate all of the above, but what I don’t tolerate isa lier. If Ms. Meghan can look straight at a Police Officer and lie, where does that leave our security in the hotel? Very sad, young girl, with issues. She made our stay an unpleasant experience.
I must note, the other receptionists and greeters were very polite and sweet.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Chesterfield, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2011

We stayed at this Holiday Inn Express from 6-23-11 to 6-26-11 to attend the Virginia State Harley Owners Group Rally. We had requested a no smoking room that was not available at the time of our early arrival. The clerk did allow us to leave our luggage until a non-smoking room came available at normal check-in. When we returned in the afternoon, we ended up in a smoking room anyway because of no non-smoking rooms being available. The desk clerk did allow us to park our motorcycles under the overhang by the front door.
At 9 that evening, the evening clerk came out to the pool where a group of us were sitting and advised that any motorcycles under or around the overhang would be towed away in 45 minutes. One of the lady riders and I went to the front desk to ask about the change of heart. We were informed that it was a fire lane and that the fire department had called to tell her the motorcycles must be moved. I advised the clerk that there were no signs up stating the area was a fire lane, that the curb was not painted, and that we had been given permission earlier in the day to park there. The clerk became frustrated and stated several times that “motorcycles were not welcome there (the hotel).”
We moved the motorcycles that were parked around the overhang area and were surprised when several minutes later two local sheriff’s deputies arrived, called by the desk clerk. After speaking to the clerk, the deputies told us it was obvious to them that she did not like motorcycles and did not want us there. The deputies further advised that it was not illegal for us to be parked where we had as it is not marked as a fire lane by signs or painted curbs. We found it interesting that the following day a black SUV was allowed to park under the overhang for nearly the whole day without having to move.
The room we ended up in was adequate, but did smell of smoke. The television only received six channels and the air conditioner would occasionally cut off, but would cut back on if the thermostat knob was wiggled. The complementary breakfast was as one would expect, not great, but not bad. Housekeeping did a poor job of tidying the room and did not replace towels unless specifically requested.
We will not be going back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.