“Old, outdated, unkept property.”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Petersburg
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This hotel is old and in need of some serious upgrades. My washcloth was more holes than cloth for example, and the shower head was mounted at 5'. The bathroom insert for the tub was peeled down several layers around the drain and the ceiling in the shower was yellowed with leak stains and the repairs that were made to the ceiling were shoddy. The shower curtain itself was atrocious, stained and who knows how old. There were other peoples hair in the "clean" sheets on our bed and another large hole in the sheets. There was a very poor breakfast selection and the ceiling in the eating area wasn't intact. Surprised the franchise would give approval to do business with their name....

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
econolodgefortlee, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Wayne
We are most sorry for your unpleasant stay. I have shared your feedback with housekeeping to ensure we handle these types of situations differently in the future.
As we continue to update the property we hope you will give us another chance to provide you with superior service and accommodations on your next visit to Petersburg.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Well... We arrived this past Friday night at midnight... after a long day of traveling. The room was disgusting. the sheets and pillows had yellow stains on them, the floor had not been vacuumed. the bathroom floor creaked when you walked on it.... and if that scared you... you couldn't leave quickly because your shoes stuck to the floor. The shower had a piece from a plastic deodorant stick in the drain and wasn't clean. The smell was musty. I tried to stay there, told my kids to leave their clothes on and not to take off their shoes.... But the "angry rapper" outside of my door who was sitting in his old beat up Cadillac, drinking boos from his red solo cup, while not wearing his shirt was not a comforting feeling. I served in the military and have slept in Jungles and deserts, in the rain and in mud and feel as though I can sleep just about anywhere... but not here... we packed our stuff and at quarter to one in the morning we left (after getting a refund!) The man at the desk was super nice... I have to say that because he really was... he promptly refunded our money. Soooo.... if you decide to stay here the following should be in your packing list: Lysol, febreeze (2-3 cans), Tetanus shot, bring your own sheets, pillows and towels, bring some form of self defense, pepper spray, if you are licensed to carry a firearm... that might be comforting, the good news is that if you do drugs... you can probably leave them behind because I'm sure someone on sight will be willing to sell you some or share theirs... these folks wont be hard to find... just open your door.... hope this helped....

Room Tip: the best room in this hotel.... is a room in some other hotel... if you have to stay here.... sleep...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Charles J

Dear Charles
We would like to aologize to you and your family on your stay. Your issues were addressed with housekeeping regarding the cleanliness of your room. Our guest safety is always our concern and priority. Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

My family and I stayed there last Friday evening - we were traveling from Connecticut to Florida and finally had to stop driving about 11:30 that evening. There is no way to describe the filth, broken furniture, non- working TV's, motel door would not close, a/c did not work. Our rooms were on the trailer park side - we never took our luggage out of the car - we all slept in our clothes and we were out of there by first light in the morning. For $52.00 you can do so much better - please, please do NOT stay there - not safe.

Room Tip: please do not stay
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank febschild
Reviewed July 15, 2012

HORRIBLE!!! Would not stay again. The rooms needed to be thoroughly cleaned. There was debris on the floor from previous guest, there were spider webs around the AC unit. The chair was filthy and broken. The mattress was broken down in the middle. The staff was super friendly although when we requested additional pillow we were told there were no more. We arrived to a room that was blistering hot because the AC had not be turned on prior to our arrival, we had called about 4 that day to confirm our late arrival. For the money didn't expect alot of amenities but did expect clean room to rest for the night, we were disappointed to say the least. This hotel seems to be an apartment complex for most of the tennants. Run down trailor park is the view on the backside of the hotel. Did not feel safe!! Would not recommend to anyone!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank s_l_carroll

Dear Carroll
We truly are sorry that the comfort and cleanliness of your room fell below our standards.
I can assure you the hotel is quite safe. We hope we can show you our improvements
if you choose to stay in the petersburg area again. Again thank you.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

I stayed here just last week. Staff is courteous and very helpful. The rooms are nice and clean which is a big thing for me. My favorite parts about the hotel are the breakfast Waffles, and the surprisingly quick internet. The pool was maintained pretty well. Maybe next time when I bring the kids.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback. We are truly glad you enjoyed your stay.
I have shared your response with the staff and they thank you
also. The next time you are in the petersburg area please continue to stay with us.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

since i heard about new management i decided to visit to see if changes were made. Thankfully my stay was as promised in the broshure. The room was nice,no smell,no bugs,no noise,or disturbance. Unfortunately, when there were issues with the room, such as the a/c it has taking time to handle. But overall i enjoy my visit and i recommend it to other viewers

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Cspade

We are glad your stay was enjoyable at our Lodge. It is always great to hear when we have
met our guest satisfactions. Thank You

Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have went to this hotel several times and each time the front desk associates were very friendly they supplied me with a microwave that wasnt in my room it is a very quite neighborhood my kids play outside with no problem the bed was comfortable I used wifi the whole time I was there and they have free HBO, the pool was open only problem I had was maid service picked up the sheets on the days they wanted other then that I enjoyed my stay I would stay there again

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank noj19
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petersburg
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Petersburg
Hampton Inn Petersburg-Southpark...
#2 of 8 in Colonial Heights
Hampton Inn Petersburg - Ft. Lee
Holiday Inn Express Petersburg-Fort Lee

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!