“Not up to standard - smokey smell”

Comfort Inn Petersburg
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Petersburg
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Stayed at this Comfort Inn on our way to Orlando. Once we were checked in, we realized that there was no elevator and had to lug our luggage up the stairs. No problem. The room, despite being a non-smoking room, smelled like the last guest had a smoking party there 5 minutes before. Went to the front desk, there were no rooms of that size available, so we decided to stay anyway. Definately not up to the hotel chain's reputation. Brekfast included was a disaster. Tiny closet converted into a breakfast nook, people eating all over the place. Skip it. Stay somewhere else.

There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Petersburg

Reviewed August 29, 2010

I checked into this facility at 2am after driving many hours. No other rooms available in area. We went to our 2nd floor room and were instantly turned off by the moldy smell but were tired and decided to make the best of it. Approximately an hour to hour and a half later my daughter woke up screaming and began running around the room trying to shake something from her hair. That something was a roach. We proceeded to kill the bug and no one would sleep in that bed. We were so exhausted we all stayed in one bed after giving it the once over. At 5:30 when I went into the bathroom to shower, I found more roaches crawling on the floor. I collected one in a cup, dressed, and went to the front desk to report this to the MOD. There was no manager on premise. I then had the clerk call her to report the problem & say I did not expect to be charged for the nights stay. The manager was rude and uncaring and offered me a $15 discount. She told me I only collected one bug and that was her reasoning for the discount. I of course asked how many bugs I should have collected for a refund and thought maybe there was a chart somewhere that I missed on check in. This matter is still unresolved as corporate headquarters defers to their hotels for resolution. STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

4  Thank TheCriticalTraveler
Reviewed August 28, 2010

I had to stop at this hotel on my way down to Myrtle Beach SC. The overall stay was good but only two complaints: the room smelled funny. It had like a funky smelly to it. Then the outdoor pool had all kinds of dirt and debris in it. Who knows what's in that pool. I didn't think they cleaned it out. Overall the staff were nice and they had nice families there. It really is a good place overall.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Disappointing stay. We've been in a few Comfort Inns, and this was the worst. The "welcome" at the front desk was hardly welcoming, the lobby was dirty, they were out of free cookies and brochures of Petersburg Area attractions (I walked next door to the Hampton Inn and got the brochure there - the brochure is *excellent* by the way). The room was average, fairly run down, but smelled of smoke despite being a non-smoking room. A plus is that they do offer some larger rooms, so they can handle groups of six in one room (two queens + foldout couch). Complimentary breakfast was okay (standard fare - cereal, toast, make-your-own waffles, juice, coffee) but was housed in a cramped, dirty corner of the lobby area. Good location - easy striking distance to Petersburg and Richmond area attractions.

Reviewed September 26, 2009

I was on the return trip from FL. to NY and checked in 9/23 with my friend. Checked out the following am and signed a credit card receipt fo $60.49 total. I used a coupon from the Skippers Welcome Center booklet . The $60.49 was inclusive of all taxes etc. that are shown on the check out sheet. Arrived home later that day and wife was looking at our credit card online statement when she noticed the Comfort Inn put through a temp charge in the amount of $71.38 so I immediately called and was told by the desk person on duty my credit card added the $10.89 to the bill. Told her my wife and I travel quite a bit and unless it is a purchase in a foreign country I never heard of such a thing. On the way to FL. we stayed at a Comfort Inn in SC and what I signed for is exactly what went on my credit card as a pending transaction. She would do nothing so i contacted my BOA Visa and asked them if they changed policy and no suprise the answer was no. I then called the Comfort Inn back and informed the desk person it was the hotel that added the charges and to correct the ??error??. She said only the manager Beverly could do that and she would be in the following day at 11 am. I was going out of town the following day so my wife called and asked to speak to Beverly and no suprise she was transferred to voice mail where she left a message informing the manager of the ??error?? and that this was fraud. She asked that the manager contact her and if she did not hear from her at the end of the day we would file a report of fraud to the VA Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Manager never called. My wife also contacted the manager at the Welcome Station in Skippers where I picked up the magazine with the coupons for hotels etc. to alert her to what happened. 2 days later and 4 long distance calls later the pending amount on the Visa now reads the correct amount. Makes us wonder how many other people have had their credit cards overcharged and either they didn't notice it or gave up trying to resolve the problem. I would avoid staying here due to this scam.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2009

We pulled into Petersburg as the overnight point on our drive from Florida to Massachusetts, and stopped here because it was the best value in the coupon book we picked up at the rest area. It looks like some refurbishing has been done as the pictures of the place on the web site show different furnishings from those in our room.

This was a good place to stay the night. Beds were comfortable, the pillows were exceptional. It did take a few minutes to figure out the heat (as someone else suggested, directions would be nice), but it did make the room comfortable. Some faint smell of cleaning products in the room, but not as bad as some places.

Breakfast the next morning was a bit above average. Bagels, danish, cereal, hard boiled eggs. They have a waffle station in the opposite corner from the buffet setup, but I didn't notice it until I already had my food.

All in all, an average place, which is exactly what I would expect for the money. There are many similar properties in Petersburg, so check around for the best deal.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 11, 2008

My husband and I spent one night in the comfort inn. We had a coupon so we got a little better deal. As you enter the lobby it makes a good first impression.However as we made our way to the room on the first floor we noted unpleasant scent in the hallway. The carpet is old and in need of replacement. Our room had a very strong chlorine scent which bothered me. I opened the window to air the room out. The room was of a fairly nice size with two double beds. The bathtub was deep which I like for soaking after a day of walking. We accessed the wireless network so no problems there.

Comfort Inn guarantees your satisfaction or they make it right. However we didn't know until after a night's sleep on the matresses that they were uncomfortable. Also the airconditoning is hard to regulate as the unit is not well marked with directions.
We didn't sleep well but we are senior citizens. Younger people wouldn't notice as much. At check out the young woman asked how our stay was. I replied it was o.k. but the mattresses were uncomfortable so we didn't sleep well. No reply or acknowledgement of my observation. I thought why bother to ask if you aren't going to acknowledge it.

The breakfast was adequate with fruit, cereal,milk,juice,coffee,hard-boiled eggs, and waffles. The eating area was pleasant with flat screened televisions. Also nice was a complimentry newspaper. They also have a business center though I didn't us it.

The entrance doors are not automatic so you struggle to get out the door with your suitcases.

I would recommend to management to have a different product used to clean rooms then cholorine. Many people have allegries to strong scents. Also change out the carpet as this makes a bad first impression. Also provide instructions on the use of the air conditioning units. I think the property has great potential but is not living up to it. The desk personnel do not make the greatest impression. First impressions are important and make a difference in how the guest rates the property.
Also make sure the check out personnel are instructed how to handle someone's complaint. Ignoring it totally is not a good choice.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple