“Many times before.... But NEVER again!”

Days Inn Petersburg- Fort Lee/South
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in Petersburg
NW NJ
“Many times before.... But NEVER again!”
Reviewed August 21, 2009

It is with great disapointment that I write this.... our family has stayed at this Days Inn Many times over the last few years. We make a few trips a year from NJ to SC and this is right in the middle - so it has been our one night stop-over on may occasions. We have even traveled with a group of family - ranging in age from 6 to 90 - including our dog - it's never been a fancy place - but fair accomodations at a fair price and easy on and off from I95 - and the kids (when they are with us) can even take a dip in the pool.

In March two of us made a very last minuet decision to go look at some too-good-to-be-true property for sale in SC - and as soon as we decided to leave - I got on the computer and booked our room at the Days Inn. We got in at about 1am - got checked in quickly and headed for our room. It was the usual - not great - but not gross(we didn't think) and we were SO sleepy we went right to sleep. We got up and drove to SC the next morning - spent the day with the realtor and drove back to our room in Petersburg that night - again not getting in until nearly 1am. Since I am frequenly the one up roaming around long after others fall asleep - I was horrified when I came out of the bathroom and saw a creature scurry in the light of the open door. Not being completely bug phobic - I thought maybe something had snuck in when we were moving our things in - so I grabbed my flashlight to see where it went. Then it started.... everytime I shined my light in a corner - more scurrying.... I was completely creeped out - but it was now well after 2am - and we had a long drive home in the AM - SOMEBODY had to get some sleep. So I quietly began making my way around the room steping on and smacking every ROACH I saw scamper away from my flashlight. When I realized that our trash can which had a few soda cans and empty mini chip bags in it was now home to about a dozen of the buggers - I grabbed the can and dragged it out the door onto the sidewalk and tied the bag shut. When I came back in - the crunch fest of death continued for another 30min until I didn't think I saw anything else moving (or maybe I was just too exhausted to see straight anymore). I then turned on all the lights and tried to go to sleep. I have been on mission trips in 3rd world countires in fairly primitive conditions - and was never as creeped out as I was that night. And at the same time - sad - because this was a place we had stayed many times..... a destination of sorts where we thought we could get a decent rest - in a decent room - and a decent breakfast in the am.... but ROACHES - UGH! I now wondered how many other times we had been there - had we just slept through them creeping around the room? Needless to say I didn't get any rest and was useless in sharing the driving on the way home. In the AM - when we got up - we took the tied shut trash can bag from the can outside - with the roaches STILL ALIVE in it - to the office to show them what had tormented us in the night. We got an apology - and HALF of our room charge waived! HALF - we had ROACHES alive and dead on the floor all over the room - and they only would credit HALF of our stay! Needless to say - we will not be returning - for our big family trip this August we have picked a new place - time will tell if it becomes our new regular place.... but I think if it's ROACH free - it's got a good shot!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Halifax, Nova Scotia CANADA
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We met up with other couples from Canada so we could all travel on to Myrtle Beach. We stayed up all night drinking by the pool and no one bothered us. It is a nice place for an over night stop but there is nothing in the area but a gas station and crappy restaurant across the street. The area looks like many businesses have closed down but it is just off the I-95 and is a good and clean hotel to crash for the night. The free internet did not allow access to sites like facebook or gmail and others.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 22, 2008

My wife and I stayed ant the Days Inn Fort Lee South on August 18, 2008. This budget hotel is a new hotel. The room was large. It had a table and two chairs. It had a coffee maker. It also had a thermostat controlled heat / ac which made the night sleep much quieter. The t v was flat screen with at least 70 channels. The property has 2 outside pool and a play area for children. The ample breakfast had coffee, juice, pastry, fruit, cereal, and waffles with a full time attendent. This hotel is above average for it's price range.

• Liked — Clean room and quiet night sleep.
  • Disliked — Not many restaurants nearby.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Georden7 W
Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 8, 2008

We stayed here just to grab some sleep on our way home from Orlando Florida to Pennsylvania. One thing I learned after making this drive twice is don't think a hotel is good just because the lobby looks nice! The hotel was a good price 59.39 for 2 double beds and a pull out sofa. We had a non smoking room that smelled like someone just smoked in it for days before we got there. Gross! The beds were ok and the sheets and linens looked ok, but the place was generally a mess. Hey, what do you want for $60? Breakfast was free and pretty good. Hot sausage and biscuits, waffles, muffins, cereal and coffee, tea, orange juice and even toast with jelly. I don't think I would take my chances here again though.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — smoke smell in room that was non smoking
  • Stayed January 2008
1 Thank traciecon
Montreal, PQ
Reviewed August 19, 2007

What a dump this place is. The room was filthy, furniture was broken and worn, and beds bent out of shape. I had a room with a sleeper-sofa and the bed sheets weren't even changed before we checked-in. I have stayed in this area before and and the Comfort Inn across the street a much better choice.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank mdcarzoli
Albany NY
Reviewed March 1, 2007

An overnight stay on a trip South - pretty decent place for the price. Free Internet access in the lobby, ok breakfast and several informal dining spots nearby

• Liked — value for the price
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled solo
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 7, 2006

We stayed here on our was to Myrtle Beach for the second year in row. Rooms are clean and not very expensive.

Breakfast bar have toast, dunnuts, muffins and WAFFLES you make your self ! Our kids loved to make there our waffles.

BTW: Pumpkin Restaurant is close, but there is a family restaurant across the street.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled with family