“OLD DIRTY AND TIRED” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Petersburg
York, United Kingdom
“OLD DIRTY AND TIRED”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed for one night only. The first thing we noticed on arrival was that the pictures on the wall in reception where all crooked - not very promising. On arrival we were given room keys that did not work. Eventually a member of staff let us into another room which was on the upper floor. This room looked clean at first glance but the passageway outside was filthy it had not been vacuumed and there was an old band aid on the floor. We asked them to clean it and after it had been cleaned they still had left the tiled area at each end of the passageway covered in dirt and badly needing a mop and water. The ceiling had tiles hanging off and the whole of the outside area looked dirty and in need of maintenance.

The room was smelly and the furniture was dusty and needed a good polish. The beds had sheets on and an old bedspread both of which were ripped and had seen better days, did not look like they had been washed in a long time it did not look very inviting. The bedding was clean but very old and thin as where the towels in the bathroom. The toilet was filthy and badly needed bleach and disenfectant. The interenet connection which was part of the package did not work in the room and neither did the telephone. The ceiling of the room had a big stain on it where rain or damp had got in.

The hotel barely provided what if offerred and in some cases failed badly.

One good thing was that there was plenty of hot water. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone nor will we be staying another Howard Johnson Inn as long as we live.

Room Tip: Just dont go there
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lynnedgar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Bradenton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

At first glance, this place appeared to be OK but just a bit run down. After moving all our stuff in for a 4 day stay, we realized that the carpets were filthy, and the air conditioning unit sounded like a broken jet engine. There were two beds in the room. One bed had no top sheet and the other bed's linens had not been changed since the previous occupants had moved out. There was literally one towel in the room upon check-in and while the front desk said we could come and get another one, there were no wash cloths available. There were big grease stains in the sheets on the second bed which I didn't even see at first since we were too tired to inspect the beds other than for sheet count and we did have to remake the first bed. Perhaps the grease satins were from the fried chicken we found under the bed. The maid service seemed to be non-existent, although some maid had signed off as having cleaned the room daily. Finally on day three. The assistant manager called in an on-call" person who did work very hard to clean the room and replace the filthy linens. She even pulled off the nasty big bedspreads which hung on the floor and replaced the bedspreads with clean blankets because there were no clean bedspreads available. She said the spreads didn't fit because they were for queen beds and these beds were doubles.
When we checked in, I asked the woman at the front desk if the pool was open. She said 'yes'. When I went to use the pool, the water was literally green. The front desk told us it was just the ph was off due to lots of rain. Later, a maintenance person told me that the pool needed cleaning and chemicals. That never happened. I tried using the pool but it was so nasty that even the ladders were slimey! I had told the front desk that I was going to have my grandchildren there for a day and we were planning to use the pool. Needless to say, I had some very disappointed children, although management did tell me it would be fine. Funny that there are 4 other motels right there and none of them had green swimming pools because of the rain.
When I made the reservation for 3 paid nights and one Rewards Points night, I was quoted one price and then checked in with a credit card receipt for that price. On day 3 when I complained about the lack of service and the dirty sheets, I was told that "somehow...someone" had checked me out in error and I would have to check back in at a higher daily rate. I had no choice but to do this since the motel had already processed my reward points for day 4.
I would NEVER stay at this motel again and I feel so frustrated because I did use my Wyndam
Rewards points to pay for one night of this stay.

Room Tip: I don't believe there are any good clean rooms at this motel. Plus the pool is filthy and the pl...
1 Thank Jean Dr M
Vallejo, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

This was one of the most horrible hotels stays I've had. Walk into the office to get our key, there is a musky smell almost like mold. I had to stand for about 5 minutes, because the employee was on a personal call. The office was dirty, furniture look like it came from a old thrift store.
Walking to our room, we look back and see that there was a rainstorm into the building, the curtains hanging there were stained from rain and looked like they were there for years. That's the musky mold smell we were smelling
Our room appeared to be clean, but that was far from the truth. The bathroom there was long hairs all over the floor, tub and toilet was not cleaned. The towels felt like #5 sandpaper.
The bedcoverings were old and the Top spread looked like it had not been washed. The only thing good about the room was the new TV. The walls were very thin. We could hear the couple next door. We would leave early in the morning and come back to a room late and still not have a cleaned room. I had to call each day the entire time we were their to get clean towels; called. One night for towels and the front desk person said they were locked up. Then when he got the towels there were only 1 set of towels, I told him, that it's 2 of us in the room.
One day the bed was made and the dirty towels were left on the floor. Our second night, we found roaches crawling when we returned from shopping. They offered a continental breakfast. That was a JOKE. There were bugs all over the orange juice. The menu said waffles. The waffle maker was there, but no waffle mix. The tables was sticky and dirty. We were even afraid to drink the water from the pitcher. One night it was cold, we turned the heater on and we thought it was going to catch on fire. This was a reasonable place to pay for, but as the saying goes, you get what you pay for.
This place scored an F-. , we will NEVER returned to stay here. If I had not paid up front for our 5 day staff I would have gone next door to the Hampton or Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AWF59
Fairfield, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

When you first see the room, it looks ok. Looks are deceiving. It was late when we checked in
The room smelled stale, the covers on the bed look like it was from the 1950's and had not been washed. We put a note on the door to have a room cleaned the next day, to come back and find the room had not been cleaned, it's 6:00 pm. I was told that the clean sign that we put on the door meant we didn't want the room cleaned. She said that we don't change the sheets while you are here. I ask for clean towels. The 2nd night, we come in late about 10:00 pm the room again was not cleaned, the trash was not taken out, and there were no clean towels. I called the front desk and the man tells me the towels are locked up and he has 1 set. I told him there are 2 people in the room. After coming back from getting the set of towels I find roaches crawling around on the night stands. The heater didn't work I thought it was going to start a fire. The air condition felt like a warn fan blowing. The carpet look like it never been clean. I moved the night stand and there is about 5 inches of dirt. The best decor is outdated.
The best thing in the room is the new flat screen TV.
The free breakfast was..I can't even say a nice WORD about the food. Don't eat the food or drink the juice. This hotel needs the hotel guy to come in and shame them on national TV.
DON'T STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ReC2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Petersburg
Quality Inn
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Petersburg
Comfort Suites Southpark
Comfort Suites Southpark
#3 of 8 in Colonial Heights

Been to Rodeway Inn? Share your experiences!