“Do not waste your time” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Texas Inn Brownsville Hotel

Texas Inn Brownsville Hotel
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Brownsville
Sturgis, Kentucky
“Do not waste your time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

We booked our reservations online based on the pictures on the website. I by no means was expecting a 4 star hotel, but when we arrived and checked in the rooms were no where near what was depicted. Our room was unmade, with shopping bags stacked up in the room. I went back to the office, they switched our room to a room with carpet that was stained, the room smelled bad, the air conditioner was blowing warm air, and was set at the coolest setting possible. We returned to the office, had the charges reversed on our credit card and departed. This is not a place I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
      Location
5 Thank dkirtley

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Fort Worth, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2009

I tried booking thru their website. But at the same time I was shopping other hotels in the area. When I went back to book the rate, it said my session had exceeded 30 mins and to start search over. I did. My browser was accepting cookies. But every time I did the room search over, it kept saying my session had expired. (I am very computer savvy - the fault was not at my end and I had no prob like this on other hotel sites)
Want to stay here? Call. Don't use their website...unless you book quick!

Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Jcsflyboy

Travelers are raving about these Brownsville hotels

Hondo, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

Rooms were clean, neat and just what we were looking for. We wanted to go to South Padre Island without having to pay the island prices and we went to Mexico as well. Took our grandkids to the Gladys Porter Zoo and they loved it. The breakfast was more than continental with hot food as well. The restaurant manager went out of her way to help with the kids and was so friendly she made you feel right at home. Cudos to her for loving her job and letting it show!! We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — clean and easy to access
  • Disliked — TV - more channels would be great
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
      Location
      Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars
Chicago, IL, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2005

I had to find a hotel in Brownsville for work and had been told some no-so-good things about some nicer places so I went ahead and booked the Best Western based on the favorable reviews on this site.

To be honest, the rave reviews I read seem to be suspect. Yes, the hotel can be considered "clean" (no blatant stains to notice), but the pool was not any better than your typical motel pool. The breakfast was edible but not remarkable. When I arrived at my room after check-in, I was greeted by a strong chemical odor coming from the room, as was my business partner in his room next door. We both had to keep our doors propped open for a while to let the odor dissipate. Also, the parking lot was overrun with large, loud birds that sat in the trees. They were quite noisy and obnoxious. The rooms themselves were passable, but not noteworthy.

I guess for $50 per night, people might be impressed. But if you are reading reviews based on Brownsville hotels popularity standings on this site, be aware that at $50 per night, you still get what you pay for. Don't be fooled into thinking this property is some sort of "oasis" right off the highway.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank ChicagoAlli
texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2005

I had planned a day trip to Nuevo Progreso, Mexico for my photography work, returning the same night. But my truck overheated in a desolate stretch of Route 77. Three Texas gentlemen resolved the situation quickly.I went on, reaching Brownsville by that evening. I needed to find shelter for under $50. There were plenty of places that I decided not to get out of the car after my trip around the property. Please note: if you are traveling alone, LOCK YOUR DOORS, and drive around the back of the hotel you are planning to stay in. It gives wonderful insight. I spotted the Best Western Rose Garden Inn sign right off Route 77-39.95 plus tax with free hot breakfast. Dreading what I would find, I instead found a beautiful flower shrouded enclosed courtyard. The back of the place was as neat, clean, and quiet as the front! The front desk clerk was very nice, efficient, and explained there was security patrol all night, which I confirmed. She gave me an upstairs room, explained where it was, a complimentary all you can eat hot breakfast card for the morning, and some free toiletries I had not brought for my trip. As I went to my room, it was well lighted, and easy to find. Not quite believing all this, I opened up my door expecting that $39.95 hotel room funky moldy smell. There wasn't any! The room was clean, air conditioning working quietly, beautiful, had a big work desk, chair, data port for a computer,and more cable channels and pay per view than home. The bed was very comfortable with clean sheets and bedspread. I also felt very safe. There was the complimentary shampoo and soap I had not brought, with hair dryer, iron, coffee maker, alarm clock,and enough towels for four people.
Waking in the morning is hard for me, but I went to the beautiful cafe, behind the pool, thinking if the food was bad I could at least chug down some coffee. What a surprise! The server graciously accepted my complimentary breakfast card and welcomed me. There were eggs, hot pancakes, homemade potato wedges, bacon, sausage, cereal, and toast, in a buffet style setting. Cold juice and milk dispensers were there, and great coffee. Trays of butter, jelly, syrup, silverware, napkins,plates, and cups were stacked neatly on each side, and I wish my kitchen was that clean. The woman who served me was very sweet. My only regret is that I couldn't eat more. After breakfast, I decided to try the pool and put off work for an hour. When I walked up, a man had just done his daily cleaning of this refreshing and delightful pool.
While taking a very long and cleansing hot shower, my only regret about the Rose Garden Inn was that I had to leave to work, since I could have easily spent awhile here. The hotel is also easy access on and off Route 77. It took less than five minutes to get back on the road and continue my journey. When I go back down that way again, I am planning another stay in this wonderful hotel.

8 Thank linntexphoto
lacey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2004

This Hotel was the most delightful hotel. The service was incredible and the price was exceptional. We spent 4 days in this hotel. Yes you could spend four times as much and end up closer to South padre Island, but why???? The rooms were clean and we are extremely picky!!!! The fun part is it is convient to South padre Island and Mexico..... I know I'll regret writing this, next year there will be no room at the inn!!! But they were such a blessing to our family!!!

• Stayed July 2004
4 Thank familyisfun
Austin, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2004

We stayed in the Best Western this weekend. The room was clean and quiet, despite being next to the highway. The outside looks worse than it is. The staff at check-in was just okay. When we checked out, the overwhelming smell of smoke in the checkout area had us gagging for a few minutes. The breakfast is complimentary for a reason, but there are scrambled eggs(greasy), pancakes, sausage, and cereal with paper plates and cups, and plastic utensils. I would recommend it because the room was very quiet and clean.

2 Thank Cary S