“great meal”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 5, 2013

It helps to have GPS to get here, since its in the back of an office complex. Thank goodness there is a sign at the entrance directing you to the site. The building and grounds are very attractive and the service is attentive but unobtrusive. Try for a table overlooking the resaca. The wine list is reasonable and well chosen. I think that the Oysters Rockefeller was not very good, but this was July and Not Galveston or New Orleans. The tuna and chicken entres were outstanding. The crème Brulee desert was to good to pass up and worth dieting the next day or running another mile.

3  Thank thewac0kid
There are newer reviews for Madeira

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous food, great service...a bit tricky to find, but so worth it! I will absolutely go back the next time we are in Brownsville!

3  Thank Itasca1
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Went here last Sunday, Mother's Day at 5:30PM - we were the first in, and other diners trickled in gradually through the evening.

We ordered a bottle of cabernet sauvignon, the filo dough stuffed with lobster, and the shrimp tacos to start. The appetizers were excellent!

Then we got the chateaubriand for two. Now, chateaubriand is hard to find in this part of the country, and so I had called them beforehand to ask them how they cooked it, because I've had some lousy chateaubriand before (in Reno). The other place in south Texas that does chateaubriand, Lansky and Brats, had said that they pan sear their steak and then OVEN BROIL it the rest of the way. Ugh! That is so NOT the way to cook chateaubriand, which should be charcoal grilled. Glad I called and found out.

Madeira's chateaubriand was terrific! Chargrilled to perfection and pink in the middle, just as I requested. The bernaise sauce was a bit on the thick and heavy side, but that may be the more traditional way to do it since bearnaise sauce is basically butter and egg yolks with shallots and tarragon.

The veggies on the side were excellent, cooked just right.

The dessert of chocolate mousse cake was terrific.

The service was excellent also.

The restaurant is next to the river, and there is a river view, and if you wish, it is possible to sit outside, although we stayed indoors near the windows. It's very scenic, and a quiet restaurant, nice for a romantic dinner.

All in all, it was a wonderful evening and terrific dinner. Madeira is one of the few restaurants that I would say justifies its high end prices with a fabulous dining experience.

3  Thank vrmgi
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We had a fantastic meal at Madeiras tonight. Jose was our waiter and he is the BEST! We ordered the Copa Helada Al Cognac for dessert which didn't flame at first so Jose got more cognac and flamed it up nicely! It was wonderful! The young couple next to us saw our dessert and ordered one later themselves. Their waiter couldn't get the cognac to flame and just gave the dessert to them and said that it was flamed in the kitchen. The ice cream was still hard...awful! So I asked Jose to please do their dessert properly. He took the messed up one back and got them a new one. Flamed it beautifully putting on quite a show. Jose knows how to treat customers right.

We had the Meluza Negra Al Horno (Chilean sea bass marinated in Miso and Saki) done to perfection! Fantastic service and food. Be sure to ask for Jose if you want the best service and tip him well. He deserves it!

6  Thank SoTX
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I love fine food and wine. Unfortunately we have to drive 45 minutes to McAllen or to the Island. Someone told us about Madeira's in Brownsville (a quick 15 minute trip from San Benito) and we were absolutely blown away. The atmosphere is very romantic (especially if you sit out on the patio......weather permitting), overlooking the Resaca. I believe we have tasted everything on the menu and ALL is excellent. My husband especially loves the scallops and I Iove every steak dish offered (I wish I could remember the names of the dishes). We took a picture of every dish that was served. FABULOUS!!!!! You will feel like you've been swept away to a big city while enjoying a very high end gourmet meal..

Love, Love, Love