“sunday zoo visit”
Review of Gladys Porter Zoo

Gladys Porter Zoo
Ranked #1 of 28 things to do in Brownsville
More attraction details
Owner description: Known to be one of the best zoos in the United States, open every day of the year.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

This was my husband and I's first visit to the Brownsville zoo. Next time we take a trip to the south we will definitely take our sons to the zoo. it was very entertaining, lot's of different animals to see. It was hot but well worth the visit and time. I especially was mesmerized by the gorillas, it was fun watching them interact with one another, one of them was very protective of their baby...It was very cute to watch!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

For a smaller city zoo (and really the zoo is in fact reasonably large), this is an excellent zoo and it is well kept and offers a reasonably diverse display. It was easy to see everything in an hour or two.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Make sure to visit the gorillas. Saw them first upon the opening of the zoo and they were eating...good pics. After visiting the rest of the zoo, I went back to the gorilla exhibit and seven of the gorillas were active. Once again good pics and fun watching them playing. I also liked the spider monkeys. Finally got an excellent picture of a Serval Cat. Siamangs were just hanging around and having fun.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We went in Summer 2009 while visiting nearby Padre Island.

Absolutely LOVED this little zoo !! Lots of good shade, excellent animal exhibits, small enough not to have to wear yourself out just to see everything.

I'd put this in my all-time top 2 or 3 zoos I've been to, and that includes the San Diego Zoo, the Phoenix Zoo, and both major DFW Zoos.

If you are in this area and want to go to a zoo, don't hesitate. This little place is AwesomeSauce.

1  Thank larrysing
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We went here expecting to see a good zoo and awesome like the internet stated. Wrong the animals look like they were not taken care of and the water in area they were at was dirty. I would say that the animals looked neglected. Not many animals as stated and I can see why maybe they died or something. The giraffes ans lion ans monkey wer good to see but that was it. I really do not think it was worth $9.50 at all. If you decide to try to it park across the street do not pay for parking not worth worth it.
If you buy at the conession stand they ask you for a donation to help feed the animals I would not mind giving If I could see that they were being taken care of. Not as good like they say at all.

1  Thank renie01