“No Luxury here, just below average”

Omni Corpus Christi Hotel
Ranked #3 of 79 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed December 17, 2008

Not really impressed with these facilities as Omni presents and prices itself as a luxury chain. This hotel, once the flagship of the chain, has gone to pot. I guess the owner of the brand who is a native of Corpus has decided to spend more time acquiring new hotels. The "Ocean View" room overlooked a parking garage and the room was small and in need of repairs and a renovation. The staff however was one of the friendliest and helpful Ive experienced in a while and the management team should be commended. The free airport shuttle is a plus but the internet charge is a negative.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank BEDSOLE

Reviewed November 30, 2008

We recently stayed at the Corpus Christi Omni Bayfront. Overall I would have to rate the experience as Good. Some factors were truly excellent, but the "small things" brought the rating down to only Good.

Valet service was always prompt and courteous. I would call down for my car and it was always there waiting for us. The one time I was delayed and the valet had to assist someone else he made sure not to leave the keys with the car, which I did appreciate.

Front desk personnel in person and on the phone were friendly and courteous.

The breakfast buffet on Thanksgiving day was unfortunate. No one greeted us at the door. All tables were either occupied or unbussed. I had to bus a table myself moving the dirty dishes (and the tip) to a nearby tray and then had to raid an occupied table for napkins and silverware. When a waiter did make it to our table he offered no apology and was too familiar, presuming to talk about his religious choices Glasses and coffee mugs were hard to find. Food trays were left empty for extended periods.

The Thanksgiving buffet however was a 180 degree improvement. We were greeted with professionalism and cheer. The free portrait and champagne were a delightful surprise. We expressed initial displeasure when our hostess first attempted to seat us but she came through with "the Best Seat in the house", a seat that met all my standards. Our waiter for the buffet was very attentive and met our every request. He even brought us a dessert that was hard to come by. We were lucky enough to have him the next morning again for the breakfast buffet. His local knowledge added a little something to our stay as well.

Late evening service at the bar on Thanksgiving was below what I imagine normal customer service to be like. Two drinks and a plate of Nachos should not be too difficult. When the food was finally served it was without extra plates, napkins or silverware.

We stayed on the 18th floor. A floor that was supposed to have keycard access only. Of the five elevators only one required the use of the card and another would not accept it at all.

The room itself was good, but again the little things prevented a higher rating. The bed, pillows and linen were top of the line and verrrry comfortable. We brought our own pillows from home as a matter of course but never used them. The chair was comfortable as well, but in a king room that presumes there will be two people in it, the single chair is inadequate. Two chairs or a sofa would be preferred.

The shower curtain was torn, the pull rod was off the room's curtain, there was a large water ring on the desk, the TV remote was problematic. In addition the phone on the desk was different than the phone beside the desk leading to problems in calling hotel staff. The bathroom counter was painfully low. The bathrobes provided were both of the same size, both too small. The shelf in the closet was at an angle. We needed another waste basket at the desk. The A/C, while effective, was noisy. The fan in the bathroom was off balance and clanked whenever it was on. The choice of personal products left something to be desired, they were on the whole too flowery.

Admittedly all small things, things that would not have me running from the room looking for the manager or another hotel.

But small things do add up.

And what they added up to was a tired hotel that failed to deliver what the four-diamonds promised.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dettler
Reviewed November 18, 2008

Called on the phone, got a reservation within minutes. My husband and I enjoyed our quick weekend getaway. There was a convention & wedding going on, despite these occassions the service was wonderful. The bed sleeps real gooood! The view was excellent, Love it. The bartender makes the best drinks. Everything was superb. Omni Bayfront is the place to be!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
OmniCCManager, eCommerce Manager at Omni Corpus Christi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to review the Omni Corpus Christi Hotel –Bayfront Tower. We are very pleased to hear you and your husband enjoyed staying at our hotel. We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Corpus Christi.

Reviewed November 10, 2008

I had a very enjoyable experience at the Omni Oct. 24-26. This was my first stay at an Omni Hotel and I was blown away by the level of customer service from all points of the hotel. In particular, our bill had a few errors such as double charging for parking and an internet charge. William T. was at the front desk the next morning and walked me through the whole bill to verify and resolve the errors. His kindness and willingness to explain the errors was above the bar. Also, the breakfast overlooking the water was another way that this hotel far exceeded my expectations. The food was plentiful and fresh, while the wait staff was very helpful. I have already recommended this hotel to a friend and will continue to recommend to many more people.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
OmniCCManager, eCommerce Manager at Omni Corpus Christi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 24, 2008

We appreciate you taking the time to review the Omni Corpus Christi Hotel-Bayfront Tower. We were very pleased to hear that the level of service you experienced exceeded your expectations. Also, that our Front Desk associate, William T. was able to assist you with explaining and correcting your bill. We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Corpus Christi.

Reviewed October 31, 2008

I just returned from a stay at the Omni Bayfront. Nothing special, nothing remarkable. If I had to pay anything more than the Texas State rate, I would have felt seriously overcharged.

The good points:

Extrememly friendly and courteous staff.

Bed was comfortable beyond belief.

Select Guest complimentary morning beverages.

The bad points:

As others have noted in prior reviews, the restaurant service is habitually slow.

The wireless internet was virtually unusable. It was a good thing that I had my "aircard" with me, or I would never have gotten any work done.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Thank you for taking the time to review the Omni Corpus Christi Hotel-Bayfront Tower. We were sorry to hear that you had a few bad points during your stay. However, we were pleased to hear that you did have good points as well. We are glad you enjoyed the Select Guest morning beverages; the bed was comfortable for you and were pleased with the friendliness of the staff. We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Corpus Christi.

Reviewed September 7, 2008

I stayed 3 nights while on business and had a great, relaxing stay here.

I booked via the hotel website no problem, in the afternoon to arrive that night.

They have a free airport shuttle. I had to wait just 5 minutes (normal 15, the minibus was already on route) and the driver offered me an Evian.

I arrived at the front desk and within 2 minutes I had my room keys.

The room was just as I specified. Everything was clean, orderly and stocked. I had a view of the bay and a walk out balcony.

I had mints on the pillow. The bed(s) was extremely good. The bathroom was clean and had plenty of nice towels and soap. The coffeemaker was clean and had free Wolfgang Puck coffee and fixings. Free USA Today and Times Caller. Turndown service came by and they brought a bag of ice too.

Basic but adequate satelite channels. High speed internet is 11mb wireless that is 9.95/day if not a Select Guest. (tip: register as a Select Guest!!)

Room service was prompt and the sandwich food I had was great. Landry's seafood is right across, and there are nice places to eat on Water St. which borders the hotel.

North Padre is 40 miles away believe it or not. You can pop on over the where the USS Lexington and aquaruim is though, and enjoy North Beach. Don't forget about the jellyfish. Plenty of seafood there, ice cream shops, etc.

I had a nice time in the hotel and Corpus.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

We appreciate you taking the time to review the Omni Corpus Christi Hotel-Bayfront Tower. We were very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and in Corpus Christi. Also, that you took advantage of our Select Guest program to receive benefits such as: complimentary morning beverage, choice of newspaper (USA Today, The Wall Street Journal, or Local paper), evening turndown services, and complimentary WIFI. We look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Corpus Christi.

Reviewed September 3, 2008

We used to live in Corpus Christi when the Omni hotels were built. They were both very good hotels with a view of Corpus Christi Bay across the street. We had many guests stay at the hotels, and they were pleased. We moved away about 8 years ago and had not stayed at the Omni hotels since we were away. Last week, Sept 19-23 we stayed at the Omni Bayfront. It was surely showing its age. The plumbing was corroded and noisy. The room was clean, needed new furniture. The garage was full and even though they charged for parking, they parked cars outside in the Enterprise lot across the street. Service was spotty, but I can't fault it entirely. The hotel was full. There was a religious convention in town. When we arrived the thermostat was set for 66 and the TV was on. (at 5 P. M.) What a waste. It's still a great view.

OmniCCManager, eCommerce Manager at Omni Corpus Christi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2008

Thank you for taking the time to review the Omni Corpus Christi Hotel Bayfront Tower. This particular tower has not yet been renovated. However, the Marina Tower has been undergoing renovations and the guest rooms have been updated. We hope to have the Bayfront Tower renovated in the near future. We look forward to seeing you again when your travels bring you to Corpus Christi.