“Perfectly average...with a great view”

Best Western Corpus Christi
Ranked #6 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed July 17, 2009

We were looking for a quick 2 day trip to corpus. Were college students so we needed somewhere cheap but I really wanted a balcony with a view of the water. The Grand Marina provided both. Its not super luxurious but its far from terrible and we weren't planning on spending too much time in the hotel anyway. The front desk attendant was very helpful and listed all the rooms they had available, we chose one on the north side (better view) on the 9th floor and it was perfect. Breakfast is on the 11th floor and it was standard but the view was wonderful up there. Tips: Dont swim in the bay, make the drive to Mustang or Padre island to avoid jelly fish. Dont pay for Padre Island National Seashore unless you are planning on camping. There is access to the beach right before the entrance that is free as long as you have a parking permit. Booking online is 5% cheaper than their normal rate however we found a coupon in a hotel coupon book on the way there that was even cheaper, so its up to you. Also check the brochure box at the hotel for attractions, great for finding things to do, really great for coupons. We got a free game of mini golf and a coupon for the Lexington which I highly suggest.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 11, 2009

We spent three nights in early February. When we arrived we indicated that we would be staying 2 or 3 nights. A price was quoted. We accepted. My husband failed to study the print out when we left and a few hours later I discovered the price had increased 10% for Tuesday and Wednesday. Once home I wrote to the management asking for clarification. In two months I have yet to receive a reply. This insident followed a "How can we serve you better?" talk with a management representative at breakfast our last morning. The location is very pleasant but their business practice leaves me cold.

Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 28, 2009

I was pretty disappointed in the Grand Marina hotel. The room itself was nice enough, what you would expect for a Best Western. The pool was freezing, we could not even swim in it. The 2 elevators (for 11 floors) were sloooooooow. We usually ended up taking the stairs. And the “hot breakfast” was down right pathetic. They would be doing everyone a favor by just turning it into a decent continental breakfast. We got there at 3:00 in the afternoon but they would not let us check in until 4:00. We came back at 4:00 (with everyone else) and we had to wait 45 minutes in the lobby to get checked in, then we had to take the stairs with all of our luggage so we could get cleaned up and make it to our dinner reservation. I would not recommend this hotel.

1  Thank Wiley
Reviewed March 20, 2009

When booking with a Best Western, I don't expect a 4 star experience, but I do expect a certain level of quality. This did not acheive that! One of the squares in the ceiling was falling out, leaving insulation debris on the bathroom counter. The maid came by when we were getting ready, so I called the room service manager and told her that we could be gone for a 4 hour time span and asked if they could have it cleaned by then because we were getting ready for a wedding that evening. When we got back it hadn't been done, so they had to clean around us getting ready. Our maid said that she was never told about our request. When I went up for the complimentary breakfast, that was available until 10AM, at 9:45 all the food was gone. The hair dryer in the room was from 1970 and kept eating my hair while I was using it. Overall this was one of the worst hotel stays I have ever had.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JessJ523
Reviewed February 22, 2009

Stayed here while leading a workshop in the conference room. Room and facilities were clean, breakfast was more than adequate. The morning view from of the bay from the breakfast room (11th floor) was quite nice. Easy parking and close walking distance to good restaurants and bars.
Overall, facilities and staff were fine, though the hotel had a bit of an outdated and worn feel. I'd stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 2, 2009

There are clubs and events occurring behind the hotel. The noise gets louder when the clubs turn out at 2-3AM IN THE MORNING.
The front desk staff was great, but I would not go to the continental breakfast anymore. The people that were suppose to be refilling the trays kept disappearing into a room on the side of the buffet when ever I or my associates needed help. We just went to the Whataburger in the parking lot across the street. Two older women working up there seemed more intent on gossiping instead of working the breakfast bar. They were not very courteous to the people coming in and seemed to be gossiping about the customers from the way they kept eyeballing/grimacing at some of the people. We did love the views of the dolphins and boats coming into the marina from the dining area.
The ac system didn't work in our room.
The only things we liked about our stay was the view, the historical sites, the art gallery down the street, and walking the marina.
Padre island was inaccessible because of the storm damage but the few local attractions were good enough to make up for it.
We won't be staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank collegestudent1976
Reviewed October 16, 2008

We went to Best Western during hurricane IKE.
The trip started out okay, but went down hill after a few days.
Our keycards kept getting erased. .. even when they weren't exposed to coins, tv, or other electronic devices
The phones had to be repaired twice. We couldn't call out and then the second time the phones would just hang up when the chords were moved.
During the storm, the town had evacuated voluntarily. There were few people and the place was quiet like a ghost town.
The staff was at less than half population so the services were unavailable.
We were okay with this. The Hotel had little hangouts and restaurants for family to go to. We also liked the views of the marina and explored much of the history nearby.
The problems came when the locals and staff returned.
The room service would come early in the morning and loudly watch soap operas in an empty room across the hall.
She would do this for two hours in the mornings.
Our stay was stressful. My baby would cry if we took her to the continental breakfast...so I spared guests the noise and instead brought a six pack sized igloo to collect our food in.
The first group of staff workers did not mind. They understood but.. the full staff coming back in was rude about it. I called for the general manager and he implied my behavior was like that of street bums and Katrina refugees. He even asked if I was an IKE refugee! I said I was a storm evacuee. He explained how bad Katrina guests were. I said I was an IKE mandatory evacuee.. and explained how we made due with his hotel's half services.. and what his staff had allowed for us to do to be comfortable.
He kept pressing that eating in the rooms would attract roaches. He implied we were trying to make our food stretch. No I said we were just eating the food because it was apart of the stay. We liked the waffle bar but the fake eggs and watered down refried beans was horrible. We had packed our groceries with us and had been eating these items during our stay and still eating out in restaurants nearby. He then implied that there was no eating in the rooms. I asked why do we have a microwave, coffeemaker, and fridge in our room?
By then he stressed me out and as a result of our conversation I had a panic attack. I was embarrassed, and humiliated to be here. He saw how upset I was and then asked if he could be of help.. but by then I had to ask family to help me back to my room. .. the stress of the storm, being in an inhospitable hotel, and dealing with a passively rude manager. .. was too much.
As more people came back, our last night was spent hearing loud sirens from the sheriff's department across the street and loud music from the bars that now had all their patrons back. When the bars let out at 2-3am in the mornings the patrons go to the parking lot behind the hotel to tailgate. The cops take another hour to clear these guys out..
Don't go here if you are looking for peace and quiet.. they can't provide it. Hospitality is not found here.

• Stayed: September 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank sweetsendaedreamr
MarinaGrandHotel, General Manager at Best Western Corpus Christi, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2008

This review is very disturbing considering that our property was one of the only hotels in downtown Corpus Christi that welcomed FEMA "Evacuees" from Ike with open arms where we billed the government rather than the guest for their stay. Not to mention, my mgmt and myself solicitied two local churches to provide donated gift baskets full of food, beverages, and laundry necessities to over a dozen families who we hosted as a token of our hospitality.

Often times guests who have had a terrible, devastating experience will find the negative in a home away from home and we are the venting pillow for this stress. I feel for the families who have lost property and loved ones in the Houston, Galveston area. If any of my associates or mgmt including me gave the impression that we are "passively rude" I apologize on behalf.

I wish the other familes who stayed would read this and give testimony as to how their experience was while here. Thanks to our many guests who do stay with us our customer service scores average almost 9 out of 10. We aim to create a memorable experiece at all times with everyone regardless of the nature of the stay. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and please know that we value constructive critcism. Perceptions are always in the eye of the beholder.

Management