“Dingy disappointment”

Ranked #38 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
San Antonio, Texas
“Dingy disappointment”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We are Gold Priority Club members and love Holiday Inn and other IHG properties. This Holiday Inn was a much anticipated final stop at the end of a road trip, but shortly after we arrived we wished we had kept driving home. The room had a terrible odor, the paint was peeling, there were extension cords causing a trip hazard in the room. The pool bar was just a small over crowded area that closed early. The walls were paper thin and the guest next door kept us awake all night with her coughing. We spent extra and advance reserved a king bed with a balcony over looking the ocean but we were given 2 queen beds with view obstructed by a partition and charged the same. The water in the shower changed temperatures with no warning. The internet was slow, the front desk and staff were very rude and when we voiced our concerns their reply was telling is we were lucky to get a room at all even though we had booked in advance. The dining area was filthy, at breakfast the floor was sticky with French fries under our table, and service and food were terrible. There were no other restaurants in walking distance. This was probably one of the worst hotels we ever stayed in. I would definitely never book another night here and would tell anyone coming to this area avoid and stay away. There is nothing positive I can think of to say about this property even it's location is not worth the poor condition of this place, it's a dump and definitely not worth the inflated prices they charge for their rooms.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.....
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Jill V
Joe D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi - N. Padre Island, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Jill V,

We truly apologize we did not meet your expectations. We strive to meet all our guests needs and in this case we did not. We do appreciate the feedback. Your comments will be shared with our team so we can improve our operation.

Joe DePalma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We were so excited to have a balcony room with a beach view. When we arrived the room was not ready. The front desk staff was very friendly. The AC did not work the whole time we were there. Thank goodness it was nice and fresh outside we slept with the balcony door slightly open. The view is partially blocked but it was still a good one. On the second day the head housekeeper told us about turn down service so we called and asked for it but it was never done. Over all for $250 a night, I expected more. The bathroom needed a bleaching. The room was small and needed a paint job. The only excellent part of our trip were the front desk people and other staff plus easy access to the beach. The spa was tiny and was overrun by kids. The big pool was cold so all the guest were in the smaller pool. We did enjoy drinks from the Sandbar.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank AustinMaMa_M
Dear AustinMaMa_M,

We thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We do apologize for the issues you encountered. We hope you give us an opportunity in the future to serve you again.

Buda, Texas
Reviewed April 16, 2014

The bed was like sleeping on a rock. Had to park a vehicle in the street. Did not even offer free coffee. Motel 6 even offers free coffee. Not worth the money spent. They offered other amenities as long as you wanted to pay extra. Hotel decor was dated. The only good thing was the staff. They seemed to care.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Kenneth M
Dear Kenneth M,

We apologize for not meeting your expectation. We will use this information and share with our staff to better our hotel. We appreciate the comment about the staff. We hope to see you in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Corpus Christi hotels

Amarillo, TX
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I was so excited to be getting a room right on the beach. When we drove up, we were met with tape around the entrance telling us to go to a different entrance. From the time we got in there until the time we left, that place gave us a feel of a property on its last leg. The girl at the check in acted like she didn't want to be there but we got checked in. There weren't very many people there but we had the pleasure of having the loudest neighbors ever. It sounded like people were throwing each other against the wall and slamming doors. That is how thin the walls were.

There are some good things about this place. I had never even seen a beach so I booked a room with a full view of the beach. That was awesome. It was so cool, though so we didn't get to enjoy the balcony. We did get to go to the water and walk around the beach. The room was big but strangely arranged. The tv was a good size with enough channels to choose from. That part was ok.

The restaraunt was horrible. They told us that it had gone through three managers but were making it better. We walked in and when we saw the menu, we couldn't believe it. There were only 14 items on the entire menu (three of which were the entrees). The food wasn't good but was expensive. A family came in to be seated and walked out. They did not have one thing for kids. How hard could it be to make a grilled cheese or corndog? Something for kids??

I will not stay here again even though it had the best beach.

Room Tip: If you want a good view of the beach, get the full biew room.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank denandvan
Joe D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi - N. Padre Island, responded to this review, April 18, 2014
Dear denandvan,

I apologize for your experiance at the hotel. We are making some improvements to our food and beverage currently. Thank you for the feedback. We will use this information to improve our hotel.

Lawrence, Kansas, United States
Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Not many choices of hotels on N Padre island so we choose here since it was directly on the beach. Upon arrival 3:30pm no rooms were ready for check-in. So, they took our # to call us when a room would be ready. And no call. Came back after eating at Padre Pizza ( really good pizza) about 4:45pm and talking to the same receptionist he had no idea what we had come back for. So finally getting a room. We go up to the room and it's old. The A/C power cord was taped together with electrical tape, which seemed a hazard with small children to me. Oh, forgot to mention that the front doors were not operating. The only good thing about this hotel was the beach out its back door.

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Elissa K
Dear Elissa K,

Thank you for the feedback on your stay. We do aplogize for the issues you experianced during your stay. We will use this information to improve our operation.

Sincerley

Bartonville, Texas
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I stayed at this hotel the weekend of March 28-30. I came with my daughter to visit my neice who attends Texas A&M Corpus. The service at this hotel was excellent. Every time I called down for extra pillows, towels, or a rollaway bed, they delivered! The morning I was checking out, I dropped my car keys down the elevator shaft. I figured there was no way I would get those keys back in time to make my flight back to Dallas. Abbie at the front desk assured me that the maintenance guy was coming in at 8 am on a SUNDAY!!! Are you kidding me? I couldn't believe that he would come in on a Sunday to help me! Maria and a few other employees were busy trying to use clothes hangars or magnets to retrieve my car keys from the basement floor of the elevator shaft, but to no avail. When the maintenance guy came in, he moved the elevator up to the second floor, shut it down, and then climbed down into the shaft to fish my keys out of the oily water. I was on my way and made my flight back to Dallas on time! These people made MY problem THEIRS, and I am forever grateful for their caring and concern! This hotel is right on the beach, and my room was facing the ocean with a balcony - so fun to watch the beach-goers and beautiful waves from this view. The ocean front rooms are wonderful with a great view and boardwalk-type of wide concrete walking path right in front! The only thing I wish they had are bar-stool height chairs on the balcony because it is difficult to see over the railing in a normal chair. You have to stand up to enjoy the view.The room also came with a refrigerator and microwave which was awesome for keeping drinks and snacks on hand for my daughter and neice. I will definitely be coming back!!!

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms are wonderful with a great view and boardwalk-type of wide concrete walking pa...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kim E
Joe D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi - N. Padre Island, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear Kim E.,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review, I also appreciate you calling me personally to tell me about the staff as well. We are very fortunate to have such a caring and wonderful staff! We hope to see you and your family for a future visit!

Norfolk, Connecticut
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Because of some of the reviews, expectations were low, but we were very pleasantly surprised. Location right on the beach is great, though we did make sure we checked out just before Spring Break began. Staff were exceptionally helpful, including cutting a sheet of plywood to make the bed firmer for my wife's bad back (I doubt even a 5 start hotel would do that). All the staff we interacted with over 4 days were friendly and helpful. The hotel has a restaurant which we were happy with. But for some variety try Black Sheep Bistro (more up-market, 1 mile away) or a Mesquite BBQ place for lunch (about 1/2 mile further way than Bistro, same side of the street). Also, take a 1ml walk along the beach to the Bob Hall pier - great bar to idle the time away. And good fishing in the other direction on the Packery Channel pier with dolphin spotting reported. No doubt this place could get a little noisy in higher season, and we were a little taken aback by cars on the beach (in the NE we are a little snobby about our beaches), but we found all Texans, not just here at the hotel, to be genuinely friendly. Overall, we had no complaints. And even if it is not a luxury hotel, my impression is the staff are turning this place around. PS. Texas State Aquarium in downtown Corpus Christi worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Martin B
Joe D, General Manager at Holiday Inn Corpus Christi - N. Padre Island, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Martin B,

We really appreciate the review. Guest feedback is essential to our growth as a hotel. We are so happy the board helped your wife's back. We hope to see you and your wife in the future.