“mixed bag”

Emerald Beach Hotel
Ranked #41 of 79 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My husband booked this hotel, so I didn't read the other reviews until after we had checked in. Seems people love this place, or not... I can see why. One of the other posters said they weren't sure how to review, and I agree. It was close to Texas A&M which was our goal, but it's pricey. An older property that looks like they cobbled together a couple differnet places. Some facelift work has been done but the room doors and shower/tubs are original issue (we stayed in one of the towers). Construction work was being done in the hallways between the lobby and pool area.

My conclusion is that you need to know what room you actually want to book... next to the indoor pool if you have kids, the ones that open on to the beach if you want a fridge and microwave, or the towers if you don't mind the crowds. We had a tower king at the end of the hall so it was quiet, but I wish we had booked one of the rooms that steps out on to the beach. I don't like "big" hotels and I think I would have had a better vibe out there.

Pros: great beach front and sun deck. Good place for kids - get a room by the indoor pool; there is a play area and arcade right there too. Little shop has anything you might need for the beach at decent prices. Beds comfortable, nice linens. Pleasant staff. They allowed us a late check out at a last minute request. Good food but I could not recommend the breakfast buffet - they charge $10.95 for what looks like your standard free buffet at any other Holiday Inn. Free parking.

Cons: some areas just look shabby for the cost of the room. The wallpaper in our room looked pieced together, the sliding door to the little deck was off the tracks, the shower ceiling was mildewy. The roll away bed we needed our second night was old and very uncomfortable - the pad was stained, again shabby (I know they can be nicer because we use them a lot). No conditioner in the room. The outdoor bar area doesn't open until later in the day on the weekends.

A doubt we will ever go back to Corpus and if we do we won't stay here again. But if you know what you want and don't mind paying the higher price for beachfront, go for it.

Room Tip: If the reservation web site doesn't describe all the options, call the hotel directly before you...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank volleymom58
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2013

Dear volleymom58,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. I am sorry we were not able to leave up to your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Connie D

There are newer reviews for Emerald Beach Hotel

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed 2-nights at this hotel in late March 2013. The hotel was convenient to the convention center, restaurants, and shopping. The room was comfortable and clean, and the staff was very friendly and helpful. The WiFi was slow and sketchy, and the restaurant had mediocre food. Overall, it was fine for a casual beach trip. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Trisha S, Guest Relations Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

I appreciate you taking the time to write a review about us. Your comments concerning the WIFI will be passed along to our staff so that we may see if there is an issue. We hope to see you on your next trip to Corpus christi and if there is anything I can do to make your stay more enjoyable, please feel free to contact me directly.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed here for a night while in Corpus during a recent vacation. We actually pricelined, and didn't get hosed on the rooms! We had two rooms, one of which had an awesome view of the beach and downtown, with the Lady Lex and the bridge in the background. Check in was hassle free, the staff was nice, and the rooms were roomie/fairly quiet/comfortable. I agree that the pool/play area are dated and need work. The outside bar/deck have potential, but mainly in the summer. It is always windy in Corpus, and this trip was no exception. The location is a good one for exploring the coastal bend. We were able to eat at Water Street--which was awesome--and hopped over to the Lexington in the morning before leaving town. The kids enjoyed the pool, but one of our kids cut his hand on the play structure. The beach is ok, but not spectacular. Remember, you're on the bay, not on the ocean. This is better for smaller kids, because there aren't large, aggressive waves with undertow here. We would stay here again on a budget, for a short trip.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the review. I'm glad to hear that the staff treated you and your family well and that you all were able to enjoy the wonderful attractions our city has to offer.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel since 2000. The hotel is average, but the amenities make up for a lack of nice rooms etc. Be careful when booking your rooms online! If you choose their lower rates they will CHARGE your CREDIT CARD immediately. Once I saw this I contacted Holiday Inn and they told me to contact the hotel directly. They said the manager had the ability to refund the amount if he choose to. I spoke with John (mgr) there and he declined to credit back the full amount and allow me to take the higher rate while having my credit card charged upon my departure. This practice is meant to charge customers before they arrive at the hotel. If you do not make your trip you will loose your money. I'm sure they are hoping you don't show up because they can rent out the room to someone else while already having your money! Unbelievable!!! I am very disappointed with the service and this policy by Holiday Inn. Needless to say, this will be my final trip at a Holiday Inn!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear James M,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret that you were not satisfied with the service received. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and we hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Zelyn N

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed in one of the Beach/Rooms.

PROS:You can reach the beach directly from your patio. The room was a decent size, free WIFI, the free pool access (with wristband). The beds were comfortable, the pillows, not so much.

CONS: The room is very small for four people We had two kids (4 and 6 years old), my mother, husband and I. The beds were double sized (basically small). It could use some upgrading; the bathroom needing a few upgrades. New tub, Ceiling (rust and severe dust spots). There was a small chair which was stained and we had to call for our patio chairs, which they did bring to us, after a second call. One more thing, the rooms have awful sound barriers, you can easily here your neighbors. Your patio is not closed off, just a couple of bushes, so, traffic walking past, can easily be a distraction and possibly a safety issue.

Overall, we would definatly be staying there in the future, however, we may just get an jupstairs unit

Room Tip: If you want to stay in the "Beach rooms" expect that these are rooms, right off of the bea...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Trisha S, Guest Relations Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Thank you for the review of our hotel. Please be sure to call us directly when booking the room and we'll be happy to walk you through the many different options you have. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

This inn is everything a guest should expect from a Days Inn brand. The only problem with that is it’s still offered as a full-service Holiday Inn. As far as full service goes, they have pretty much everything needed, but the building(s) are a 1970’s Holidome™ complex, and they have only been repaired, and virtually nothing gutted and remodeled up to modern Holiday Inn standards.

The property sits on the edge of the bay, and many of the rooms have a nice view of the water. The entire property consists of a main tower, an annex tower, and two 2-story wings full of rooms typical of it’s era. The sun, sea, and salt and have taken their toll on all of the buildings, but particularly the annex tower, and the only description I can think of for the annex is ratty. The 2-story wings have suffered from the same kind of damage we’d expect to see from forty years of salt water blowing against the exterior. Most anything there is suffering from a lot of rust, attempted to be hidden by countless coats of very thick paint.

This is a meeting hotel with many square feet of space for gatherings, banquets, and other group like functions. Those facilities were in good enough order except when they filled the room full of people. Instantly it became uncomfortably hot in there, and I left the banquet just as soon as I finished eating, still pouring sweat. The restaurant air conditioning wasn’t much better, and showed they are guilty of double-standards in how they charge for their services. When I told my breakfast waitress I didn’t want to order because it was so hot in there I was dripping sweat, they attempted to charge me for a cup of coffee. I protested, since they were giving away cups of coffee to any passer by that wanted one, it made no sense whatsoever to ask me to pay for the same coffee they are giving away at the front door of the restaurant. After a few choice words with the bossy supervisor in the restaurant, as well as the general manager of the entire facility, I did not pay a dime for one measly cup of coffee.

Everywhere you go in this place it’s evident that it’s old. During a Friday night where they have sold the place to two smaller conventions, one of the only two elevators in the main tower decides it’s going to hang up and get stuck at the 7th floor. This was just after dinner time when the guest load wanting to use them was at it’s highest. The elevators are far enough apart that the guest cannot see both of them, and they don’t make a sound when they arrive. You have to be standing there looking back and forth at both of them when your car arrives, else it will take off and leave you there without your having a clue it even arrived.

The complex itself appears to have been built over many years, as the building construction is obviously from different time periods. The pathways between the buildings to the meeting spaces more resembles a maze of crop circles than does a well thought about meeting hotel. They have an indoor and an outdoor cocktail lounge, and the outdoor one, while the location is nice, is in dire need of freshening up. But, that’s not surprising as the whole facility is in dire need of freshening up.

In summary, this property is surprising to be still branded as Holiday Inn, as it just doesn’t meet today’s standards. It’s seen it’s best days, and if it’s ever to return to viability, it will require closing it’s doors completely, gutting the place out to the walls, and starting completely over. I noticed countless little shortcomings like the iron in the room did not work, the bath tub enclosure was made from two different materials, the toilet and dressing table were microscopic, and exposed wiring inside the room had been encapsulated in that tacky metal conduit sometimes used in inside spaces that must deal with an exposed wire. The bedding gets a grade of “good enough,” but it was certainly nothing to crow about. The selection of TV channels was poor in the English versions, with many Spanish speaking channels mixed in, and the reception on many of those channels was snowy as if it’s still an analog TV system. Fortunately, the room heating and cooling worked great, because the humidity there pretty much mandates it in order for the guest to be comfortable. Unfortunately, the common areas of the property had their problems with keeping the humidity down, and the guests comfortable.

Although I was infuriated just how low these people would go over a cup of coffee, I have attempted to review this place objectively, and with exactly what I saw. I cannot recommend this inn, and there’s no chance I would return if I’m doing the choosing. I didn’t select this inn in the first place, else I’d have never darkened their door. Unless someone has a specific reason to want to stay here, such as a ocean view room that walks out onto a beach, it’s not a good value, and barely squeaks by as meeting Holiday Inn’s fairly rigid standards. There’s another Holiday Inn just down the seawall in infinitely better condition that would serve the guest much better if for no other reason than it’s modern.

Room Tip: Ask to be located in the main tower where you can get a partial view of the ocean. The annex is rat...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear Arnold_Ziffel,

Thank you for the detailed review of our hotel. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations on some aspects of your stay. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Karen G.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

We had a wonderful experence at this hotel. The room was awesome and the view of the ocean was perfect. The room was very clean and the bed was very very comfortable. The room has everything you need. We were greated with excellence. Carrie is who took care of us with our stay and she was wonderful. She took care of all of our needs. This was not an expected trip and was a last minute plan and this hotel was very helpful in our time we were there. I would recommend this hotel to all my family and friends. Thank you Holiday Inn for a wonderful stay at your hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple