“Nice location...average hotel”

Emerald Beach Hotel
Ranked #44 of 81 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Upon arriving at the hotel I fought to find a place to park within the hotel's parking lot. There was a big event going on (bay to beach run...or something like that) right near the hotel and unfortunately it does not appear the hotel has a parking area designated for people who are actually staying at the hotel. The lot was full of people attending the event...what about us who are PAYING for a room at the hotel? Anyway I finally found a spot and entered the hotel. The lobby area, small bar area and resturant area look very nice. The staff was very friendly. I begin heading to my room and as mentioned by many others when reviewing this hotel one of the two elevators was STILL not working. So I waited in line to actually get into the very small elevator. After the elevator loaded left, and came back I finally got in. I arrived at my room and found it average for hotel that appears to be fairly old and 'tired'. No obvious dirt anywhere, the bathroom was clean, the furniture polished and the linen good. The overall appearance of the room was alright but (as mentioned previously) a bit 'dated'. The food at the hotel resturant was alright. Breakfast was good and food plentiful (be sure to get the $2 discount coupon for breakfast during checkin). I had a bacon-double cheeseburger delivered to my room one night and it as well as the desert was good. Room service was very quick! The hotel is located right on the beach which does give a good view. I did not use the pool but it looked good and everyone appeared to be having a good time! The little shop near the pool provides many different small gifts for your visit in Corpus. The staff in the shop were very nice.

One thing I would caution people is to watch the wet floors caused by folks leaving the pool and heading directly into the hotel. Some of the floors are (were) very slippery (mainly in the elevator)

Overall this was an alright stay. If (when) in Corpus again I would probably return here mainly for the location.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Dear J P,

Thank you for your review and being so detailed in the good and the opportunities to improve. I am particularly appreciative of your comments regarding our staff being friendly and our prompt room service.

Most importantly, I'd like to apologize for the issues you experienced at our hotel. The elevator was giving many of our guest's issues and I'm grateful you brought this to our attention. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Corpus Christi.

Janice A.
IHG Care

Reviewed May 17, 2012

we stayed here mainly to get the priority reward points... but it's so not worth the money! we paid $125/night and I would say it's at the most a $75/night value. The hotel was very dirty and there was water everywhere from people walking back from the pool. That's not so bad, but it made the floors very slippery and the elevators were just soaked with dirty water!!!! gross! The customer service there was bad, and we when we went to ask for more conditioner (b/c the cleaning crew didn't put any in our room) they said they ran out. No other alternative solution was given. seriously???? how can a hotel run out of conditioner? The AC didn't work and the beds were hard!!!

I didn't feel safe w/ my car in the parking lot since most locals use that as a place to park and go to the beach. It was just an all around disappointment for the Holiday inn Chain. It needs a renovation!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank jlj732
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear jlj732,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Member and for leaving us feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced during your stay and that the amenities and services fell below your expectations. However, I am pleased to inform you that we have just completed our renovations last February and this is to ensure our facilities and service are superior.

Janice A.
IHG Care

Reviewed May 14, 2012

Arrived a little over an hour earlier so we decided to ensure the pool was in working condition before checking in. Our youngest daughter just loves hanging out at the pool. Hotel was a little busy with guest but nothing to complain about. Walked up to guest services and was treated nicely. Gentleman who handled my check in was pleasantly courteous. Got my room keys and headed to our room on the sixth floor in the main building. Sure enough, only one elevator was in working condition but at least they had posted this on the main lobby. No real problems getting up and down when needed. Room was great and the view of downtown and the ocean was breath taking. Beach was very clean on Saturday but due to the crowds that day, it needed some cleaning the morning after. It was not until around 2pm that a hotel employee came around and started picking up some of the mess left behind. Last but not least, mother nature sure came through - especially on Saturday. The weather could not have been any better in my opinion. Unfortunately, the weekend came to an end and we had to return home. Looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2012

The location was wonderful. We just checkin in, dropped out luggage and went exploring. When we came back (late) the room was hot. We could not adjust the temperature so just dealt with it. The electrical outlets were dangerous because the plugs would just fall out. The pool closed early and our room was dirty. When I checked out I only mentioned the outlets and temperature to the front desk. I did not even get an appology.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Tisha B
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2012

Dear Tisha B,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are pleased you liked the location of our hotel. We are deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
IHGCare

Reviewed April 30, 2012

Other than the location of this hotel, there is little favorable about this hotel. At 100% capacity only ONE elevator worked all weekend, the entire hotel was dated and dirty. The rooms were clean and beds comfortable, but the room was small with no closet space. Breakfast at the restaurant was fair for a buffet, but it was poorly staffed and slow to seat guests. Lobby, business center, and workout area are nice. Beach front location is excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank DVM97
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Emerald Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2012

Dear DVM97,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you liked the location of our hotel as well as your room accommodations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received service which was unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
IHGCare

Reviewed April 28, 2012

The hotel was really nice. All the employees could not have been nicer. There are many things that do show the age of the hotel. My biggest complaint was that they were down t o 1 elevator (the other one was being refurbished). Three hours after check-in - the second elevator quit. We were told initially to take the stairs (we were on the 7th floor). After that - you had to call the front desk and request the freight elevator be sent up to get you. Then had to find someone to take you back up the freight elevator when you wanted to go back to your room. It was a inconvenience and we probably would have gone up and down to the beach more if that hadn't been the case. But the room was great. Had a balcony overlooking the ocean. The staff was exceptional. Pool and hot tub were very clean. The beach was kept litter free and was enjoyable. I will go back - just want to make sure both elevators work when I do!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2012

This hotel is very well priced and right on the water. They also have a pool, hot tub, play area for kids, shuffle board, ping pong, and air hockey. My only complaint is one of the elevators was broken during our stay so we had to wait quite a while any time we needed to go up or down. We were on the 7th floor and had a 2 year old with us, so that was definitely a bit of an inconvenience. Overall though, this was a great hotel to stay at. We only spent 1 night and hardly any time actually at the hotel, as we were mostly on the beach or out to eat or at the Texas State Aquarium. The showers were great and the beds comfy. That's all we really needed! I also would like to mention that the staff was very helpful and kind in our short time there.

Room Tip: It depends on your motives...we are not "party" people...we were there for a family vacati...