“Bad Hotel”

Ranked #20 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Texas
“Bad Hotel”
Reviewed May 25, 2007

I booked a room with Jacuzzi and was hugely disapoinuted. First night was ok, second day, had no hot water for Jacuzzi and made several calls about it. Finally after over 2 hours, got some hot water. View for this expensive room was overlooking a partial view of Gulf of Mexico and most of view consisted of the lower roof and other next door hotel. Poor view for most expensive room they have. Beach is disappointing. No hotel beach chairs available. We got no shampoo, soap or other room ammeninities second day and had to call to get towels second day. I wrote Radisson direct and they said, sorry and sent a voucher for $50 for a future stay. Yea Right! I was going to tell desk at check out, but the attendant would not get off the phone so I just left the electronic key on desk and left. Worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The Sleep number bed was terrible. It felt like it had a small air mattress in middle of each sleep area, but easy to roll off that area and found that I would never want a sleep number bed.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Service and View
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dastagg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
fort worth, tx
Reviewed March 26, 2007

I chose this property because of its beach access and spa suites. But there are so many problems with the hotel, I can't recommend it. It is an older property in need of much maintenance and repair. The closet doors were off track, the spa equipment cover was broken, the balcony handrail ( 6th floor )was checkered with dryrot. And I killed a roach in the bathroom. That pretty much did it for me. The positive comments I can make are the sleep number beds were very nice and the staff was pleasant and helpful. Not enough to overcome the problems. I'll stay elsewhere next time.

• Liked — sleep number beds
  • Disliked — needed repairs
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tonyoh
Texas for now
Reviewed March 3, 2007

Radisson should be ashamed to have its name on this property. From poor design in the bathrooms (no place to put shampoo, soap, or hang towels in the shower) to the fact that we spent 1/2 day with no hot water (and no discount provided), our experience was not good. This hotel misses the mark on just about everything. There are no "do not disturb" signs available unless you ask, the "Sleep Number" beds are just worn out from too much use, the remotes are disgusting, and the air conditioner is the kind used in a motel, not a hotel that supposedly belongs to Radisson. The service in the restaurant is non-existent. Expect mediocre food and slow, horrible, surly service. If you receive a Radisson voucher for breakfast, please note that an automatic tip of 20% is provided to the waitstaff. They do not deserve it. Not only could they not wait on their customers in a timely manner, they were absolutely incapable of being even a little pleasant or smiling. Also, a fun discrepancy - check the room service menu vs. the menu in the restaurant - almost all breakfast dishes are at least $2 LESS when ordered through room service. It is such a shame to see Radisson totally screw up with a property so well-located. Take note that there is not adequate parking for this property.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MXTraveler35
Texas
Reviewed February 3, 2007

We stayed at the Corpus Christi Radisson Hotel last summer July 4-July 8. The only good thing I can really say about it is the location. It is within walking distance to the USS Lexington and the Texas State Aquarium. There was a wonderful fireworks display on the night of July 4 right off the Lexington (this display is put on by the city). We were able to walk right out of the hotel and onto the beach and get a perfect view. This fireworks display was as good as those we saw on our trip to Disney World.

As far as the hotel itself it is old and not that nice. We had reserved an ocean front room and boy were we disappointed by what we got. We were given a room on the 3rd floor and this overhang thing almost completely blocked our view. We could just barely see the ocean. And when you get off the elevator on the 3rd floor you have to go up a some stairs to get to the hallway. This is VERY HARD to do when you are lugging suitcases!! There are no bellhops to assist you and they don't bother to mention this stairway at check-in. We complained to the front desk about our room but they could have cared less! The safe did not work but the front desk could do nothing about it. And the air conditioning unit above our room leaked onto our pitiful excuse for a balcony.

Maid service is a joke. They did not clean the rooms well. One day they did not clean at all. We called down to the front desk to report this and ask for some clean towels. They did nothing so we called a second time. They still did nothing so we finally went down to the front desk to get some clean towels! They didn't apologize, they really don't give a hoot!

The food at the restaurant was good but the service is extremely slow. Get the blackened shrimp if you eat there. Blackbeard's is just a walk across the parking lot and it is very good.

The pool is very small and the swim up bar service is beyond slow, it is beyond snail pace.

The price of $195 per night (for an "ocean front room") is just too much for this hotel. You can go to Grand Cayman and spend less than we spent there. And the ocean is a lot better for swimming in the Carribean! We will definitely never, ever go to this hotel again! Highly NOT recommended!

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank j'smomTexas
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed January 30, 2007

My sister and I went to this hotel for a girls weekend. We absolutely loved it.
The hotel itsself is a little older then what Im used to, but the staff was amazing. Loved the staff in both the gift shop and the dining area.
We did have a problem with getting the right room. We had reserved a beach front room, and they tried to give us one that wasnt facing the beach. Luckily, it wasnt crowded at all (off season) so we did get switched to the one we requested without too much of a problem.
Their hot tub was out of order, so we had to go to the hotel next door (as told by the Radisson staff) to use the hot tub.

The best part of this hotel is the location. You are ON the beach.
I loved opening my balcony at night and in the morning and watching the sun set, and hearing the waves.
I will def. be returning.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Having problems with getting the reserved beach front room
  • Stayed April 2005, traveled with family
1 Thank beachbum2321
Center Valley, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 15, 2006

My husband & I spent our five-night honeymoon at the Radisson Hotel Corpus Christi Beach. We booked it after hearing a recommendation from another couple who spent their honeymoon there. Our visit didn't start out well. After almost missing a flight and getting our car rental reservation messed up, we arrived at the hotel to find out it was overbooked and they only had one room for us, and it wasn't the one we had booked. But they didn't even tell us; we got up to our room and quickly noticed it wasn't a Sleep Number room overlooking the bay; it was a corner Jacuzzi room that smelled of the marijuana that the party next door was smoking. We trucked our luggage back downstairs to complain, and were told that it was this room or no room, and that they'd take our $169 rate for the night down to $99. They got the party to shut up, but I definitely wasn't happy that I spent the first night of my honeymoon in an absolutely lousy room.

After that, obviously anything was an improvement. We went out to lunch and drove around the bay, and finally were allowed into the room we had booked that evening. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant, where we got great service, good margaritas, and decent food. Our new room was exactly what we booked, and very comfortable. The Sleep Number bed was great, but the remotes are starting to wear out and it takes a decent long push to get the beds to go up and down. The balcony was nice and clean, and it was a great place to lay around between trips to the beach.

Room service breakfast was really good! We had it twice in our room; I highly recommend the pancakes. The employees we encountered after the mixup were also great. Housekeeping kept our room up to snuff, and the room service employees were really nice.

When we got our bill in the morning, we noticed that they had about $100 in charges for in room movies and video games. We had tried to do the in-room checkout, but the TV was displaying an account other than ours. So when we went down, we thought it would be an easy fix. It took us about 20 minutes of arguing to convince the lady that, no, the honeymooning couple didn't spend their evenings playing video games.

I doubt I'd stay there again, but their billing error of not raising our rate back up to the original price saved us $400, so I've mostly forgiven them for ruining the beginning of my honeymoon. Our wedding went off without a hitch, so I guess you can't have it all.

• Liked — Clerks that make great billing errors in your favor (after our experience, we deserved it).
  • Disliked — The front desk is just awful.
  • Tips/Secrets — Double check your reservation before you get there. I would have rather known before I got to the hotel that they had messed it all up (even though our reservation was in the system fine).
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MrsKruse
Houston,Texas
Reviewed August 26, 2006

I loved that the hotel was right on the beach, next to the Lexington and the Aquarium. Going swimming on the beach at night was great! There pool with a swim up bar is not real big but really cool. The lobby and the whole hotel for that matter was clean and neat. The staff was very helpful and friendly. When I went up to the room it was ok, the balcony faced the street, it had a kind of musty smell and it looked as if someone was laying on the bed before we came in. The sleep number dial on the bed looked old and dirty with crumbs. I could have gotten a room with an ocean view but it had two twin beds instead of the king. When I came back to my room the door wouldnt unlock, I heard they were having problems with that. As to make my stay more comfortable the manager came up and gave me a better more expensive room. It was much bigger clean room with a fridge and microwave as all the rooms have, a jacuzzi, balcony facing the beach and a freshly made king size bed. Everything was nice. The manager even offered me a discount for my 'troubles'. If I visit Corpus again, I will deffinatly stay at the radisson again. As for the other comments, they seemed far fetched as for what I saw of the hotel. I would say the nicer comments are more accurate.

• Liked — The second room they offered and there sincere way to make sure I had a great stay..
  • Disliked — That my first room wasnt as clean as the second.
  • Tips/Secrets — Bring a bottle of febreze just in case.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple