“Good location for the Lexington and the Aquarium”

Radisson Hotel Corpus Christi Beach
Ranked #23 of 79 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were in Corpus for our son to visit the USS Lexington for an overnight stay. I chose to stay at the Radisson while my husband and son did the overnight on the Lexington. It was the closest hotel to the Lexington which made it easy to park our car and walk their stuff the two blocks to the ship.

The hotel itself was nice. We arrived early and they were able to let me check-in to my room. The staff was pleasant and friendly. The room itself was spacious and comfortable with all the amenities people expect these day - a small microwave, a coffee maker, a hair dryer, etc. The TV had a nice selection of basic cable channels along with pay-per-view movies.

I'm pretty picky about beds, bedding, and other linens when I travel. The bed was just a bit too tall for me. I could not sit on the edge of the bed and it was difficult for me to get into the bed if I just wanted to sit and watch television. I am on the shorter side so this might not be a problem for other guests. The mattress was very firm. This was not really a problem for me but if you like your mattress to be softer, you have been warned. The linens were cotton. They were soft, not crisp. The towels were a nice, soft, terry cloth and they were a decent size for hotel towels. Overall, I was pleased with the bedding in this hotel.

I did spend some time at the pool and I was bothered that there was no one to enforce the rule about no coolers in the pool area. There were a few guests there with at least two coolers who were drinking beer in the hot tub and the pool. They left shortly after I arrived so I did not report it to hotel management, but it still bothered me.

My only real complaint about this hotel, and it is a minor one, was my experience in the hotel restaurant. I had breakfast there and was considering the breakfast buffet. I was sorely disappointed in the offerings available which were eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, pancakes, fruit and cold cereal. Breakfast potatoes are cheap and I'm surprised they were not available, along with some tortillas for impromptu breakfast tacos. Otherwise, the food was somewhat better than average and the service was ok. I've had better and I've had worse.

Regardless of my experience in the restaurant, I would stay here again IF I needed to be close to the USS Lexington or the Aquarium.

Room Tip: If you are going to be there for several days, go ahead and spring for a room facing the water.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Chhatrala, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Corpus Christi Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for the compliments on the hotel. We did just change the beds to Simmons Ultra Plush units and are getting many compliments on them. We are glad you also liked our choice of linens and terry for the bath.
We look forward to seeing you soon; we hope your husband and son had a good time on the USS Lexington.
Hurry Back
Dave R, GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,004)

Reviewed September 21, 2013

The hospitality and service from the front desk staff was excellent. 7th floor room had an amazing view of the bay. Very comfortable and clean. Furniture looked like something expected at a boutique hotel.

Only downside was that the beach didn't seem very clean, but I think the city is charged with that duty.

Plan to stay here again, for sure!!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have better view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Chhatrala, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Corpus Christi Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

We appreciate you being our guest and thank you for the kind remarks. We agree that the views are wonderful and we try to assist he City with Beach clean up, but they have a crew that does a good job, sometimes the wind will cause trash to build up. Thank you for the input.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

We had what was referred to on the website as the "Largest Room-Full Ocean View from Balcony". Room was so small that if you took the luggage cart into the room; there wasn't enough room to walk on either side of it. The view was excellent. The closet featured a growth on the ceiling that resembled something from Ghostbusters. The security lock, which was located beneath a sign stating 'Be sure and set it' or something to that effect, did not work. The sliding doors, both closet and balcony were VERY difficult to use. Balcony was unlocked when we arrived. The locking mechanism is something jerry rigged and not a standard locking bar for sliding doors. The refrigerator was iced up. Needed to be defrosted. Water pressure in the shower was barely sufficient to wash the soap off you. The only thing going for this hotel is...LOCATION.

Under no circumstances whatsoever, patronize the on-site restaurant. On our final day, due to inclement weather, we decided to eat in. What is referred to as a breakfast buffet is without a doubt the worst breakfast buffet I have ever paid for. $9.99 Minimalistic selections, no bacon! I've had better at Motel 6!. Just two days earlier I had a hotel breakfast buffet 10X better and it was FREE! However, the piece de resistance was regarding the breakfast beverage. Our server said the 9.99 included coffee or orange juice. Being diabetic, my wife asked if they had cranberry juice. She said yes. Didn't bother to mention that it was $3 more and ask if that was OK. Had she asked, I would have approved. Since she didn't, I assumed it would be substituted for orange juice. When I got the bill and questioned this, all I got was "I sorry". Seems everyone here is sorry.

Unless you have very small children who want to play in a relatively calm bay; I suggest you go somewhere else.

We have always stayed at the Omni whenever in Corpus; but decided to give the Radisson a try this time. BIG mistake.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SouthTexasReddog
Chhatrala, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Corpus Christi Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you for being our guest. The family room is larger than a standard guest room and does feature a large balcony; both are much larger than any standard hotel room. I am sorry if you feel it was not big enough.
Regarding the buffet, coffee and orange juice are included (which I believe was disclosed to you), any additional drinks or variances to that are an additional cost. I am sorry if you do not agree, but that is a standard at most hotels. The manager did offer to remove the additional charge for the substitute juice and even offered a free beverage to take with you, both you declined.
We don't always do everything right but if we are notified we do try hard to make up for it. I am sorry you did not feel satisfied, but the majority of our guests find the buffet satisfactory.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Radisson on the beach sounds like a winner until you see the place. The entire hotel was bad. It smelled musty throughout the hotel and everything was worn and dated. I would not recommend it to anyone. You would be better served to find lodging on the other side of the bridge.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bum1994
Chhatrala, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Corpus Christi Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Thank you for being our guest. I am not sure how to respond as the hotel just finished a total renovation in May of this year. We replaced the carpet, furniture, drapes and lights in all guest rooms and guest halls and all rooms and halls were painted with fresh new colors. The Lobby and Restaurant were moved from the third floor to the lobby level and also received a total new and refreshed look.
Most guests have had very positive comments and especially those that have stayed before and are excited about the great new look. I am sorry you did not care for the décor but hope you will reconsider and visit us again.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Radisson on The Beach in Corpus Christi Texas during the Labor Day Weekend. And there is one thing that Sgt Vitalucci knows and that is good service and Outstanding Hospitality. This Hotel has it all. The Service and Hospitality is by far the best that I have seen in the USA. They are on the Beach. They have a Pool with Hot tub and a Tiki Bar at the Pool. And the rooms have a lot of room in them and the Beds are just as comfortable as your own home. There is a Bar and Restaurant. There are other places within walking distance. There is also a very nice view of the USS Lexington which can also walk to if you like. We are definitely going back here.

Room Tip: Get a room over lookjing the beach
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SgtVitalucci

Thank you for being our guest and for the positive comments about the hotel and the staff. We agree that the location is excellent and we work hard to see we separate ourselves from the "others" with friendliness and cleanliness. We appreciate the compliments and will use them as further motivation to do even better.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Stayed here as a last minute trip with my family and left never wanting to come back. We had several issues that bothered me about our stay at the Radisson. First was the bar service, the inside bartender blatantly tried to trick us with a false pour of alcohol and then played it off. We assumed it was a joke but it wasn't-she was dead serious that she just fake-poured a drink for us. I have nooo clue why she didn't tell us off the bat that she was out of vodka and it would take 20 minutes to get some more. We finally got that out of her because we were in shock she continued on with her charade. Next was the outside bar, ordering from a pool bar-you expect the price to be high but what you don't expect is sub par drinks that you can barely get if the bartenders are not putting lipstick on each other in the back of the hut. They start when they want and then they hide out in the hut the whole time. Our biggest issue was the pool area. This pool is insanely popular with pool crashers and their children that live in the area! The hotel asks you to wear a wrist bracelet but no one wears them. There is not anyone there to check from the hotel either. I've been told that this particular weekend, the pool attendants had called in sick. We chatted with everyone at the pool and all of the neighborhood children told us that they swim at the pool while their parents stay on the beach. It was insanity!! There was nowhere to turn in this pool. They also have faux rocks in between the hot tub and pool area that all of the kids jumped off of while we were in the pool. It's such a small pool, when anyone jumps, everyone can feel it and we had to scoop our small daughters out before they got pounced on by the older kids jumping frequently. Finally, the housekeepers were slamming doors early Sunday morning by placing the hook in between the door while they cleaned the room. It sounded like fireworks all morning.
I called the General Manager about all of these issues because I felt like it was unfair to pay for this hotel and it's amenities when they don't deliver on service or quality. What are we paying for? I called him twice and finally got a hold of him when I called again. He apologized and mentioned some upcoming improvements but also let me know that the bar service is a separate company, not Radisson employees. He told me that he was going to pass my number to that company so I could get a refund and apology on our drink orders. He also told me he was going to send me a voucher/discount (I am unclear with what exactly he was sending) by email or mail to my home address. It's been a week and I have not heard from the bar company or received anything via email/home mail from the Radisson itself. I called again this morning and the GM is unavailable. I asked to be transferred to his voicemail and the front desk hung up on me. I called back again and said I was not connected to his voicemail and she said "hmmmmm?"....as if she was trying to figure out why I wasn't connected since she actually hung up on me the first time around.
I wanted to wait to post a review. Especially because I work in Marketing and I know how important reviews are for companies. I decided this morning that there are just too many concerns I have to let others book this hotel without this knowledge. This is a great site for reviews and reviews honestly make a company. If the reviews are handled appropriately, there is forgiveness and understanding but at this point, I feel like they have dropped the ball in all areas. If you read past reviews, you can see there is a common theme in all of our reviews. While I agree that the location is nice and close to other attractions, that's about the most positive thing I can say. I am very happy to add on to this review should I hear back from the General Manager in a positive way. This hotel could be so nice if they tried harder to care for their guests.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Melanie D
Chhatrala, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Corpus Christi Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

I am sorry you felt that the hotel failed to address your issues. Unfortunately I was out ill last week and therefore was unable to return your call, I do apologize, but there were extenuating circumstances. I did contact you as soon as I returned.
There was a miscommunication between myself the operator of the Bar and for that I apologize as well. We have since clarified the problem and assure you there was never any intention to commit fraud or deception. The individuals that made the mistakes have been talked to and the problems rectified.
The fact it took a week to respond was unfortunate and is not my management style; I do not hide from guests and their problems but choose to address them head on.
We have since rectified the situation and appreciate your business.
Dave R. General Manager

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed at the Radisson at Corpus Christi Beach back in August 2011 (not 2013). We were given a room on one of the upper floors, with a bayside view. It was so relaxing to get up in the morning and watch all the huge ships and the little shrimp boats that were coming through the port. And right outside our window was the USS Lexington, a retired aircraft carrier. It was lit up at night and so was the city, which was right across from the Lexington. Very nice view. The beds were sleep number beds and they were very comfortable, but if you had to adjust them, it was loud. That was not the hotel's fault. The people were very nice and they kept the rooms clean. Keep in mind, though, that this is a beachfront hotel and there may be sand here or there. The pool was very clean and super relaxing during the day, which was when I used it. It was nice to have the option to go to the bay and sit on the beach or hang out at the pool and sit in a lounge chair. The pool had an outside shower that you could rinse off with. It also had a little waterfall that was very soothing. This hotel is within walking distance of a few restaurants and also, the Texas State Aquarium. If you don't want to walk, there is a bus that loops around the area. It is also just a short drive from Padre Island, Port Aransas, and downtown Corpus Christi.

Overall, we had a great time at the Radisson at Corpus Christi Beach and would definitely go there again!!

Room Tip: Ask for a bayside room. Otherwise, you have to look at the highway.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Chhatrala, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Corpus Christi Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2013

Thank you for being our guest and for the wonderful review of our hotel and the surrounding area. We are fortunate to have both the Bay and the Salt Water pool to provide a diverse experience for our guests. We also have discount coupons for the Lexington and Aquarium and are pleased to provide them to all our guests.
We will continue to work on new and better services as we progress.
Travel Safe.