“Impressed!”

Ranked #22 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
San Antonio, Texas
“Impressed!”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I currently live in San Antonio for about 6 years and have avoided the Corpus Christi area because of so many negative things I have heard but we decided to take a chance this mothers day weekend and even with the reviews and photos on this site, we booked here and it was a great stay! The room was clean and proper, it did have a microwave and refrigerator and all the usual hotel stuff. Check in was easy. The views are amazing! Just walking in the main entrance and looking straight out into the sand ocean...beautiful. The area around the hotel was clean the pool was clean. Pool/Beach towels were always available. More than enough vending machines for quick snacks. There is some updating going on in the hotel on certain floors but nothing that was bothersome. So i will get to the reason why this is not an "Excellent" hotel. There is a small parking lot but apparently it is not dedicated to guests only. We were not given anything to prove we belong there so it seems that anyone can park there at anytime for free. During the evening on Saturday we returned back to the hotel around 10:30 pm and there was no parking. I pulled in front of the hotel to find out if there is additional customer parking. I left my wife in the car with my sleeping daughter to go in and find out. Well........ There was no one else on line or looking to check in and the desk person, Alicia was tied up on the phone, clearly not a business call from what I could hear, of course that is my opinion. She then went to the back room/ area without a word to me, to acknowledge I was standing there. She came back, still on the phone and after a few minutes, I said Excuse me and she looked up at me like i had 3 heads attached to my neck, she told the person to hold on on the phone and proceeded to tell me that I was being rude!!!!! What! Listen, I work in customer service I know how this works, I was by far being rude. Geez i even waited while being completely ignored while she is busy on a personal call. I feel as though she should have acknowledged me and told me she would be with me in a minute or put the phone down and provide customer service. So, as ugly an interaction that was, i believe the hotel needs to provide her with better customer service. My opinion. So, besides that, as i said above, it was otherwise a nice place. Walking to distance to the attractions as well.

Room Tip: For better value you can choose a street/parking lot view because stepping into the hallway, eating...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Chhatrala, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Corpus Christi Beach, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for the compliments on the hotel and for "taking a chance" on staying with us, we appreciate your business and will do all we can to continue to earn it in the future.
I want to apologize for the less than professional attitude you received at the desk when you returned in the evening. That is NOT how we choose to run this hotel and I can assure you that person will receive additional "Yes I Can" training that is the cornerstone of what we do at the Radisson Beach Hotel and all Carlson Hotels.

Regarding the parking, we are in process of removing the temporary containers we needed to store the new furniture and other items during the renovation. This was a temporary situation and is being addressed this week. Again, my apology.

Thank you for staying with us. We anticipate the remodel to be completed by the end of the month and will be anxious for you to see our great new look. We actually started placing the new lobby furniture last Thursday and will be working in the new Restaurant this week.

Travel safe.
Dave R. General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Monmouth
Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Radisson was nice, they are in the middle of remodeling, but they were very nice about not making any noise when we were in the room. The staff was very good, helped with anything we needed. We liked being close enough to walk to Restaurants, attractions, and night life. They have a walkway right on beach going to several places. The pool and hot tub were great, wish the bar would have been open outside when we were there. I would love to go back when it is finished.

Room Tip: booking on line does not guarantee you a balcony ocean view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Great hotel to stay if you want to visit USS Lexington which is a two minute walk away.Also good room to view the bridge at night as it changes colours.Good bars nearby and taxis into Corpus Christie are reasonable. Hotel has a good cocktail bar.

Room Tip: Best room was 731
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Delano, Minnesota
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Although we loved being right on the beach and close to some of the attractions, this place was a dive for a Radisson. The rooms are not a fraction as nice as the ones they show online. We should have read the reviews before staying there. We had two rooms which were in the same condition. Carpets and tiles were very worn and dirty - had to wear our shoes in the room or our feet turned black! We asked twice to have the floors cleaned again, but saw no improvement. Both showerheads were coming out of the wall. The rooms smelled slightly of urine. Metal doorframes and some of the furniture were scuffed up. Ceiling tiles moved when you opened and closed your door. One Sleep Number bed wouldn't adjust - luckily our ten-year-old didn't care. Parking was a bit of an issue too. We couldn't believe they were remodeling the lobby before the rooms since that's were people spend the most time.

1 Thank SDS864
Chhatrala, General Manager at Radisson Hotel Corpus Christi Beach, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
I am sorry you did not have a good stay, please accept my apology and know we are working diligently to a much improved facility. We are indeed in the process of a total remodel and are redoing the guest rooms adding new carpet, furniture, bedding, lighting and art work to all rooms. The lobby will be totally redone as will the Restaurant and Bar. Guest halls will receive new carpet, paint and lighting as well.
I know we can do better and will be anxious for you to see our great new look.
D. Reasoner

Travelers are raving about these Corpus Christi hotels

Shawnee, Kansas
Reviewed April 21, 2013

*This hotel was still under renovation, and even with the new upgrades it still looked shabby. As seen on a previous persons stay below, we ended up with a room that had balcony doors that let the wind through. Needless to say, it howled so loud that our family could not sleep all nights. We notified the front desk and they made us aware that ALL of the doors are like this. They laughed in my face and basically blew me off. The toilet did not work and there was no drain for the bathtub. When you opened up your door to your room, the drop ceiling tiles would move and actually come out of the grid. Additionally, the monster machine takes your money so went we to the front desk and were notified to check our room number and that we had been upgraded unintentionally. The facility was not clean and the staff in the upstairs restaurant were rude and couldn't complete an order without repeating several times. The staff would replace our towels with the same towels we had already used. The bedding was not changed while we were there. The area surrounding the hotel is a little scary, a lot scary. I would recommend staying at the OMNI...pay the extra money. We couldn't leave the hotel because we purchased through Travelocity, or I would've left immediately.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms according to the front desk.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lola427
Thank you for the feedback after your recent stay and please accept my apology that the hotel did not live up to your expectations.
Although we do occasionally have a sliding door that might be affected by the high winds, that is a not a systemic problem, but rather an isolated one that can usually be fixed when brought to our attention, I am sorry if we failed to do so for you.
I am very concerned that any member of our staff would "laugh in your face" or that we would ever replace used towels with other used towels, that is not something we would tolerate and would be a termination event if we found it to be true.
Although we are renovating, we have worked hard to keep the construction away from any guest contact areas and have made arrangements to insure all services are available.
The surrounding area is a very safe, family oriented part of Corpus Christi visited by thousands of families and out of town guests every year. I am not sure why you felt unsafe but I assure you that is not the case.
We anticipate the renovation to be completed by the end of May and will be anxious for you to see our great new look.
Marion, Arkansas
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The name "Radisson" is supposed to be a symbol of quality. Prior to this visit, I put it up there with Hilton... After this visit, I now place the name Radisson in the same category with Econolodge... For the price paid for our room, I expected much more. The view of the beach was great. The location, within walking distance of the USS Lexington and the Texas State Aquarium was fantastic. But, if you're looking for a nice, clean hotel, then look elsewhere...

Some areas to look at:
Cleanliness - cockroaches in both the bathroom and microwave areas / sand in the tub, even after the maid service was completed / dirty carpeting / one little trash can for the entire room.
Relaxation - hammers being used on the floor above us at 8:00 am / When the hammering finally stopped after a couple of hours, the power sanders started / the room AC Unit was one of the loudest I've ever heard! (Bring your own hearing protection!)
Restaurant - over-priced and a really limited menu / there are a number of pretty good restaurants within walking distance, but don't plan on getting a good variety of food in the hotel
Parking - limited / if you leave on a busy weekend day, I'm not really sure where you're supposed to park / parking is supposed to be for hotel guests only with a mirror hanger being given, but the lot was full of cars without hangers. They obviously don't do anything to limit beach parking from the public.

The hotel is undergoing a much needed renovation. It would have been nice to know that in advance. The staff was nice enough and seemed to be as frustrated about things as the guests were. In a year or so, this might be a great place to stay, however, I wouldn't expect much right now. It's definitely not up to par for a Radisson hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a beach side room. The views are pretty good from the balconies and include the USS Lexingt...
1 Thank Joecop126
Holton, Kansas
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The Radisson is a great place if you're wanting beach views and spending time on the beach. The hotel is currently under going renovations which looked to be much needed. For the price, I expected it to be a little more upscale than what was delivered. The carpet in the room needed a good cleaning as our feet and socks were black after walking around in the room without shoes. My family was there specifically for the beach and view, so this was an ok place to stay. The surrounding area seems really run down and not much pride taken in the area.