“a must do”

Katz 21 Steak & Spirits
Reserve with OpenTable
Katz 21 Steak & Spirits is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #53 of 715 Restaurants in Corpus Christi
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Staples and Saratoga
Description: Katz 21 Steak & Spirits, located on the Southside, is the city’s finest Prime Steakhouse and setting the standard for the premier fine dining experience. Specializing in dry-aged prime beef and fresh Gulf Coast Seafood, Katz 21 also offers an award-winning wine list that is sure to please every palate. Start the evening off with a glass of wine or signature cocktail in our adjoining, contemporary 21 Lounge or sit at our spacious outdoor patio bar to enjoy one of our many imported beers and some live music. We also have three elegant private dining rooms, perfect for all special occasions, for up to 150 guests. Whether you are planning a five course dinner for a small group, a large cocktail party, a button-down corporate event or the wedding reception of your dreams, your event will be choreographed down to the last detail by our private Dining & Catering Director. Call us to reserve your table or plan your next special event.
Reviewed January 5, 2013

great new location..all new, its got an outdoor patio area and a new dance floor. dance floor is a bit small, and the dj could use some updated music, but the bar area is nice for visiting and vacationers and i love the new look. food is great better than when it was down town...

Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had a party for 5pm NYE and they would not let us make reservation week in advance for a larger party. We get there and it is empty, 3 hrs later when we left it was still empty. The lobster was overdone for one person. I was charged the 50$fix price when all I got was a soup (drinks not included). They said I could go and not eat when we made reservation, that was not the case. They not only double charged us, they tried to charge EVERY COUPLE more than they had. One couple was charged for 4meals instead of two. They also auto charge 20% gratuity. Not worth it. Do not go? Rip off for medioker food. Save yourself the money and bad experience.

4  Thank MrsKlabonski
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We were on time for our 9:30pm Saturday night reservation at Katz 21 but were told we'd have to wait. When we asked how long, the hostess' answer was "not as long as some of the others!" She said we should wait in the bar and her response to my question of how she would notify us was, "I'll remember what you're wearing…" Since I had on a bright red shirt, it seemed reasonable at the time.

We're patient and were enjoying drinks, but, the bar has a crazy mixed atmosphere. The waitresses and female bartenders were dressed in shady clothing... I'm no prude and love attractive ladies in appropriate, even provocative clothing, but, their attire was sleazy! And, a funny little man kept testing a microphone at the DJ booth. No music… just him saying “is this on?” over and over… That, coupled with tons of televisions on sports channels (thankfully without audio), really degraded the initial experience.

Earlier, when I had called for the reservation, I'd asked about dress and was told it was business casual… so, we thought we were going to have an upscale experience (sadly hard to have in Corpus.) But, at least in the bar, hats and shorts were common… This all made for a poor early impression and we wondered what we were in for. I'm no snob and love casual dining- this place just needs to decide whether it's upscale or another two-star restaurant.

Forty-five minutes later, the manager walked by and asked how we were doing? We commented that we'd been waiting for three-quarters of an hour for our table and he immediately had a shocked expression on his face! Sure enough, idiot hostess had forgotten us and we were finally taken to a half-empty dining room...

Take a high-ceilinged strip center and install large crown molding and you have the dining room... disappointing.

Our waiter turned out to be terribly inexperienced… naturally. When he came up after several minutes we ordered: bruschetta; a wedge; a spinach salad; and, a bottle of Darioush. As is common, he didn't need to write it down and came back in a few minutes with the wine. After opening it and pouring a full pour, he said "try that"... I did and it was fine and he poured my wife's glass and then re-corked the bottle!

Then he asked if we would like to order an appetizer...

I re-ordered the bruschetta and salads (again, no notes on the order), and, he left. I uncorked the wine to let it breathe.

After a long wait, he returned with the appetizer, re-corked the wine, and, asked if we wanted to order. Forgot the salads again… reordered them. He left… I removed the cork and hid it from him. (It was amusing to watch him look for it each time he returned for the rest of the evening!)

We later ordered a bone-in ribeye and seafood medley pasta with sides of asparagus and sautéed mushrooms. When asked how we wanted the steak, I said Black and Blue/ Pittsburg/ Charred Rare (literally said all three phrases!) and he left... A few minutes later he returned (still looking for that darned cork!) and asked what we meant? We explained and he said he thought that we wanted it Blackened with Blue cheese on it or something.

The point of the meal was the food, of course. With the exception of a strange spice on the mushrooms that rendered them inedible, everything was good and they did properly cook the steak! Portions were weird, though… large steak; half a dozen small spears of asparagus; giant order of inedible mushrooms; normal sized pasta (with little flavor, unfortunately.)

A funny thing happened on the way to the restroom… (actually, on the way back.) There’s one entrance to the dining area and after walking out of it (and evidently looking confused), the manager saw me and asked if I were looking for the bathroom. He directed me down a long hallway to it… On the way back, I realized there was a tiny space between the kitchen opening off of the long hallway I was in that cut through to the dining area. Ten steps and I was seated saving probably seventy-five otherwise. No harm done… quick cut through where the wait staff accesses their computer (no one there anyway), and… I was admittedly lazy! Seconds later, a very rude short old man comes to the table and gruffly says (I kid you not) “Never do that again!” and walks away.

Turns out it was the owner… kinda explains everything, doesn’t it? (Same guy with the mic testing from earlier, by the way!)

Lastly: dessert. Sadly, the waiter had never heard of Port and had a glazed-over look when I spoke of tawny vs. ruby… I said never mind and we ordered pecan pie, a la mode. They don’t do that, he said, but, we could have whipped cream. It was a tiny, single-serving pie that was obviously baked in an aluminum tin (which they removed before serving, at least!) My wife was unimpressed but I thought it was tasty… good whipped cream and flaky crust.

I won’t give Katz 21 a single star ‘cause that’s just not who I am… The experience was poor for nearly $200 per person but the food was good. Oh, and the wine? At the end, I produced the cork to an obviously relieved waiter and we took the rest home! ;-)

Bon appetite!

5  Thank C C H
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I like the new Katz 21 on the Southside. Its fun and energetic. Make reservations to ensure a meal and full menu in the dining room as this restaurant has potential for becoming a southside hot spot. The bar decor is very inviting and in lieu of waiting (just 20 mins) we decided to enjoy our drinks and meal in the bar. Big screen TV's and a cool decor were enough for a great evening. There are private booths available in the bar, draw the curtains if you like but the bar activity deems attention. You can also enjoy live entertainment and drinks (meals ?) at the outside bar. Smaller appetizer portions available in the bar or full portions from the dining menu.
This restaurant is great for date night or a special event. Might be a bit pricey for everyday dining but make sure you visit this place soon! Open for dinner only (at this time)

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Dined at the new southside location with friends on Thursday. Despite people not being sure it was open yet the place was crowded!! There was a 20min wait for the restaurant so we decided to eat in the bar. The bar was very big and comfortable. Had alot of tv's. They also had a huge outside patio. The decor inside was very similar to the downtown location with all of the dark paneling. We all shared 2 appetizers and then each couple shared a meal. The food was excellent but very very pricey!!! It's nice for special occasions but it's not a place to go every week unless you have alot of money to burn!!