“Wonderful Place - Wonderful Stay”

Island House Condominiums
Reviewed September 27, 2010

We have just come back from the Island House and had a wonderful stay. We had a one bedroom which had a fab view and was very fresh and airy inside - it was condo 320. The staff cannot do enough for you, more than enough fresh towels, daily room service, a lovely clean pool and the staff always seem to be smiling. It is a short stroll to the sea and staggering distance to the nearest bar. It is driving distance to many restaurants and overall offers a fab stay for familys and singles alike. We are from England and just love Texas and of the many places we stayed during our holiday this was the best!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank puppsicle
There are newer reviews for Island House Condominiums

Reviewed September 1, 2010

Far enough from the city life that you feel isolated on a beach, but all the conveniences like grocery stores and restaurants are within a short car drive. This is an old property but fastidiously maintained. It is comfortable and unpretentious and it's proximity to the beach is the greatest feature. I've stayed there two times so far, once in the fall and summer. I liked the fall much better because the weather was cool and you could leave the sliding doors open and enjoy the nice weather and the sound of the waves. The condos are very well insulated. There are a few things, however, I had a problem with this most recent visit. First, I generally don't like the uncertainty associated with what condo is or is not available or whether it will or will not have a sofa bed. On the phone, almost to the point of curtness, you are informed that there are no guarantees and that the owner could return at any time and that you may not get the desired room type or location (e.g. I asked for the first floor, was told at the time of reservation it was available, and then show up and am given a second floor room). I paid $300 a night for a two bedroom in high season (that's alot of money!) so I would like a little more certainty. They recently redesigned their website reservation system which now appears to provide a picture of the unit one will be getting (that is definitely a step in the right direction). Also, the sofa bed in the living room had dirty sheets and food crumbs (looks like somebody was snacking in bed while watching TV). When told, the cleaning staff gave us replacement sheets, but still, this should not have been overlooked. Also, the blender in my unit didn't work and I bought one at the grocery store (I found out later all I had to do was request a replacement from the front desk, no beach vacation is complete without a frozen margarita!) In any event, I would still rate this place as Excellent because it's clear that they love their little beach paradise and want you to love it too. Also, DVD player was not available in my unit, front desk provided one free of charge.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank pigletpuff
Reviewed August 22, 2010

This was our second stay at Island House, the first being a few years ago. This is what we like about it:

1) Location - at the end of the seawall just steps, literally, from the waves. This make multiple trips daily into and out of the water very easy as you just walk out of your room and you're there in 3 minutes, on the sand. Compare this to the long trek over the dunes that you have from some of the Mustang Island condos and this alone is reason enough to choose Island House, especially if you have kids. Also, from the location at the end of the seawall you can walk up to the gazebo at Holiday Inn and hear live music, order drinks, and hang out "Jimmy Buffet" style.

Or you can walk the other direction past Bob Hall Pier as far as you want along the shoreline. Either way, it's a superb beach walking experience whether you like to walk ankle deep through the surf or walk (or ride a bike or push a stroller) on the solid concrete surface of the seawall.

2) Pool - the pool is the perfect size. Not a resort-style triple pool with swim up bar, but just a good, decent pool that everyone can easily enjoy. We would normally come off the beach, rinse at the showers, then spend time swimming in the pool.

3) Rooms - having a full kitchen is a must for us on this type of vacation. At Island House, the kitchen is equipped with what you need. Just bring your groceries.

4) Location for Day Trips - This is a perfect home base for a visit to Corpus if you plan on doing things away from the beach. It's 20 minutes to Port A, or 20 minutes back into Corpus Christi, or you can head further out on the Island toward the National Sea Shore. There are ample places to shop and eat less than 10 minutes away. It really is a perfect spot.

Cons:

Floorplan?: Some will complain about the floorplan. The 2 bedroom suites are set up with the master in front, with full window view to the ocean, adjacent to the living area. Some rooms have dividers that can be closed for privacy, others don't and the master is 100% exposed to the living room 100% of the time. This won't be a problem for most, but if you feel like you need a private space to disappear into, you could always take the back bedroom instead and let the kids have the front room.

Age?: Some will complain about the age of the building. It's not a gleaming new condo but appears to have been built in the 1960s. Each room is individually owned so you can't be 100% sure what you'll get when you arrive. But if you ask for a "Best Quality" room when you reserve, they will try to accomodate you, but won't make any promises. We stayed in room 311, ocean front, third floor, and judging from the comments left in the Condo Guest book by return guests, 311 is one of the better appointed rooms. Nevertheless, unlike a hotel, when you rent from a condo pool of units, the quality of furnishings, beds, decor, etc. can vary widely. If you are a picky complainer, you might not like what you get. But if you come to have fun and enjoy, you'll find any of the rooms to be at least adequate from what I've heard.

Conclusion: Island House is a very kid friendly place but also a perfect spot for non-kid people. It's fun but not rowdy. The price is reasonable for what you get and you have easy access to many activities and amenities from the location.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank Silverado62
Reviewed February 19, 2010

My family has stayed at the Island House (or its neighbor, Gulf Stream) since I was a child. I now enjoy going there with my children. The condos vary one from another due to the owner’s personal style and upgrades. Some look like they were a backdrop for a Miami Vice show and others look like they could be featured in next month’s Beach House magazine. Regardless, all of the condos are always clean and comfortable. You won’t find a better gulf anywhere around at this price. Some condos have a garden view, not a gulf view; the gulf view condos cost extra.
Padre Island beach is right out your door! Just walk out the security gate and down the steps to the sand. We love the Island House because it is not in Port Aransas but it is not too far to drive. You won’t typically find the teen or college student party group at the Island House; it is usually young families, couples, and retirees. You can expect a fully equipped kitchen, clean sheets and towels. Towels are refreshed daily, but maid service is not provided on a daily basis.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 13, 2010

I can't say enough about the condo, we loved it. We had a corner room so our bedroom had 2 walls of all windows plus we had a deck that wrapped around the corner also. It was clean, spacious, had all necessary items for comfortable living. Pay the extra to get beach front, definitely worth it! They don't allow pets but have cats that live there who took a liking to us, they must know cat lovers when they see them. The pool was nice and warm, no hot tub though even though in the pictures it looks like there is one. The only possible complaint is the office staff is not very friendly. They are supposed to take garbage and give us clean towels every day but while staying there 5 days, we only got clean towels twice and we set our garbage outside the door when it got overflowing. Will definitely go back, the location and condo were fabulous!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Dezdanger
Reviewed September 21, 2009

The room we had was a little different from the rest of the condos. We rented from Mr. Powell who owns a bunch of condos here which he then rents out to travelers. Great way to make extra money. He has his rooms fixed up a lot nicer than the rest of the place. Some of the pictures I saw prior to our trip made me wary about choosing this location, but it had the highest reviews of all the places around so I chose it. I've attached pictures of our room. We were in 109. We had some other family members stay in the regular condos. They loved their stay, too.

Overall, we loved the place. It was very nicely decorated and had a lot of the comforts of home like dishes, pots and pans, silverware, etc. The master bed was comfortable just a bit small for 2 adults and a 2 year old. We're used to a King sized bed. My husband ended up sleeping in the other bedroom.

I dinged this location on service because after driving 7 long hours from Dallas, we go to check in at the main office and are treated like the red-headed step-child. I told them what room we were in, and they said, "Room 109 isn't a rental unit." I showed them my rental agreement which clearly showed what room we were in. They then said, "We don't handle that unit. You need to call the property manager." Their attitude was very dismissive towards us. It was as if they just wanted to ignore us so that we'd go away. I asked them if they had his number to which they just said no. What now? How were we supposed to get into our room? We left the office discouraged, irratated, and tired. We didn't know what to do now.

Luckily, I ran into some guy who asked if we needed help. I showed him our rental agreement and told him I had no way of contacting the property manager. He said, "Let me call him for you." Then he went to the office to make the call. Why didn't the front desk staff offer that? Why didn't they know where the number was since this other guy did? The guy came back with the code to the lock box and helped us get into our room. He said it wasn't the first time something like this happened. Thank you random guy. I wish I knew your name.

The rental agreement should have had a contact number, the code to the lock box to get our key, or instructions as to what to do when we arrived since this room was not handled by the main office. Or, the main office people should have had the contact number, at least, because this wasn't the first time this problem occurred.

Other than that, the trip was great. My daughter had so much fun playing in the sand, running up and down the beach, playing with shells, and splashing in the water. Every morning she'd get up and ask to go "Finning in da beesh" (swimming in the beach).

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank PMann
Reviewed August 16, 2009

A very short notice trip, and we were able to get a 2BR/2BA gulf side room on the second floor. We really didn't know what to expect - we didn't know how nice it was going to be. It was great - very bright and airy condo, with a much better view (of the county beach and the gulf) than we expected. Fully stocked kitchen, great A/C, and very comfortable furniture. Our only complaint would be that we needed to bring our own shampoo, and if that's what you're complaining about, then life is good. There's a huge HEB supermaket about 15 minutes back up the causeway for food ad supplies, if you need anything and don't want to pay beach prices. The hotel has a smallish laundromat, and the dryers do a good job of getting your beach things dry for a quarter. The beach there is a little emptier than the county beach, or up the road at the Holiday Inn and Gulfstream. We ate out for dinner, instead of cooking or using the gas grills (there looked to be 3 or 4 of them out front), but we'll probably use them next time around. And we are going back - it was a great way to spend 3 days, with the beach and water less than 5 minutes from the door of our room.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family