“Misinformation and photos”

Ranked #45 of 80 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Fort Worth, Texas
“Misinformation and photos”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Having travelled from mid Texas with my husband, daughter and her boyfriend we arrived at the hotel.. My husband had a choice of a hotel offering free breakfast or a hotel offering free wifi so chose this hotel for free wifi. We all tried, using various devices, a number of times to log onto the internet but without succcess. I told the reception 4 times on arrival day that the 1st floor room and 3rd floor had no wifi to be told they would will reset, then told they would contact the company concerned. A complete joke, especially when the manager said wifi worked in her 1st floor room, then being told if had old laptop that could be problem. I don't think so, our tablets are new. When I asked for more shampoo, a member from housekeeping gave me a hand lotion bottle (opened) from a Hilton Hotel - WTF! When I went down to the pool with my daughter neither of us could reach the catch to let ourselves into the pool area. What sensible person would put a catch 6 foot up a post. When I got through the gate to go for a swim there were 3 tables, 5 chairs and 1 lounger. When I asked the reception where the chairs were for the 3 tables, and why there was only 1 sun lounger I was told they were ordering new furniture! That night I had to ask for 4 chairs so we could all sit outside and enjoy a chat and drink. The area around the pool was not swept and had leaves and debris against the wall. For the price my husband paid we could have gone to Austin instead, and stayed in a far better hotel with better facilities. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Nothing good to say.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Lydia M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Dear Valued Customer,

I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of Red Roof Inn and Suites and our staff.

The pool area’s latch is positioned at the top of the gate for safety and precautionary measures. The pool area also offers guest chairs and tables for their own use, however, these things are limited as well to ensure that the guest are safe while they enjoy the pool and its surroundings. We are working on the expansion of our wifi coverage so that it is able to be accessed successful thought the entire hotel. Initially wifi connections were in low demand, and due to technological advances we are working to advance our network connections.

Red Roof Inn - Corpus Christi Inn & Suites

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
pawperso
Reviewed May 29, 2013

Arriving at the hotel after a long day of driving, we were at first relieved to be at our destination. The first thing we noticed was that the surrounding area was most definitely not what you would describe as affluent and the second was that the smell from the adjacent petro-chemical works was not particularly pleasant, but being seasoned travellers, we knew that this does not necessarily mean that the hotel should be of any lesser quality that that which we would usually stay in. Unfortunately, in this case that is exactly what it did mean.

After reaching our room, we noticed that the standards of cleanliness were very poor, with grime around the bath/shower, black marks on the white walls, layers of accumulated dust and dirt on the floor and the iron missing from its bracket. Regardless, we were only there for 2 nights and would be spending most of our time elsewhere.

We decided to venture out to find a meal. Not knowing the area, we asked the receptionist if she could recommend the best place to find somewhere to eat. Her response was "it depends what you want to eat" and despite some further probing questions from us, in the end we had to go without directions and ended up driving 15 miles back in the direction we had come from, where we remembered seeing some restaurants clustered by the side of the highway but had decided to pass by in favour of somewhere nearer the hotel. It wasn't until the next afternoon that chance took us to an area of Corpus Cristi just 5 minutes drive from the hotel, with only one interchange that had a series of good places to eat.

Returning to the hotel that evening, we settled down for the night. Only to see in the light from the television, a small figure scuttling across the floor to take shelter under the air conditining unit. As you may be able to see from the attached photograph, this turned out to be a mouse, which to all appearances had some way of accessing the room from under the unit.

This of course was unacceptable and saw me go to reception to complain and request a new room.

The one positive thing I can say about this stay is that a new room was arranged for us without delay and an apology was offered. This room was a little cleaner, but still nothing special.

We were told by the receptionist that she would look in to whether we could be compensated for our issues, and speak to the manager when they came in, but no such compensation was forthcoming.

If you're a fan of dirt, grime and critters, then this is the place for you...but I certainly would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Lydia M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Valued Customer,
We appreciate you taking out the time to tell us about your experience at the Red Roof Inn and Suites Corpus Christi. We do extend out sincerest apologies for the incident concerning the mouse in your room the day of your stay at the Corpus Christi Inn.

On this particular day a field mouse entered the hotel unknowingly to our staff. This was due to the grass being cut in the field next to the hotel the same day of your arrival. Once we were notified of the situation we did trap and get the animal safely out of the hotel. We did fix the issue and have taken the measures to ensure that this does not happen again.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Let me start by saying that I find it hard to give a bad review. I am the type of person that sees the glass half full. However, this time, I have to say that I didn't really enjoy this stay at all.

The hotel itself seems to be falling down on maintenance. I am including some pictures of the different signs that I saw.

A big one--- NO INTERNET. The internet had been down for 8 days. I am a very internet centric person and for a place to have NO INTERNET is almost intolerable. And for it to be down for 8 days. Long enough that they could put up a permanent sign on the counter.

The ice machines on each floor were out of order.

The outside Red Roof light was not lit. I missed my turn because I could see it in the dark.

We arrived at 6:00 pm and our room was still not cleaned. We had to wait until a maid was sent up to the room.

From the bigger picture, the neighborhood didn't feel safe. It is hard to explain. After dark, we walked to the Stripes that was next door. The guys standing around watching reminded me of a lot of the rough places that I have seen before. With two women, I was very uncomfortable.

I thought Red Roof was a cut above the rest. However, this hotel didn't measure up. I was so disappointed. I couldn't wait to leave.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. There are other safer and still inexpensive places in Corpus Christi
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Roswell
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I used to stay at the SPID Red Roof, booked here by accident and am glad I did. This is everything the other one isn't. Clean, smoke free and everything works. It;s not the best neighborhood, but once on the property that shouldn't be an issue, I still feel safe here. When I commented on the distracting noise the minifridge made and the missing desk lamp, they were replaced before I knew it.
The luggage cart is kept behind the counter and you have to leave your ID when you use it and I'm on board with that. I've been in the position to haul my gear up and down stairs and elevators because some selfish guest hijacked it.
The desk agent Lydia was able to check me in early for which I'm greatful, and her trainee Sonya is a worthy student. They made check out as seamless as it should be. The only thing they lose points on not having the USA Today anymore,
The location is not as convenient as the other, but well worth the drive.This was a great find and is where I'll be staying every time I visit Corpus.
I don't understand all the bad press unless they took the critiques to heart and cleaned up their act whenI got there.

Room Tip: Be spicific about your room placement and floor. If you need quiet, ask to be placed away from rooms...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mitch P
Humble, Texas, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Checking in this hotel the last weekend in April for a weekend getaway. When we checked in it was late we had no reservations. The clerk (lazy) told us he had one room left a suite. We checked in and went to room. There were dirty towels under sink left from a previous guest and tub was dirty ring left. The sheets were NOT changed there was pubic hair left on the sheets a big yellow stain smelled medicine. I was SICK! I called the clerk and to no avail he could careless. I literally slept in my cloths in a chair, my partner wrapped up in our personal blanket on bed YUCK! The morning came we rushed to get out of there. I spoke to morning staff and told them what happened we were refund and apologized to,but mentally the damage is done! I will NEVER stay at any Red Roof Chain EVER!

• Stayed April 2013
Lydia M, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Corpus Christi, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
May 9, 2013

Dear Ms. Nicole

Please accept our sincerest apologies that your experience was less than satisfactory. It is disappointing to learn that we fell short of our goals in this instance. We appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to share your concerns.

I can assure you that corrective measures will be taken to prevent similar problems in the future. Please know that we value you as our guest and appreciate your business. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope to see you again at our brand when your travel plans require a night's lodging.

Very truly yours,

Red Roof Inn
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Like a few other reviewers mentioned this Red Roof isn't in the best of neighborhoods, but I didn't feel unsafe. I don't remember seeing any vandalism or graffiti. Just a lower income neighborhood, which isn't well maintained.

The short review: TERRIBLE service, terrible cleaning

The long review: My sister and I decided to stay here based on the reviews we saw from tripadvisor. We wanted a hotel that was close (20-30 mins) from the beach and this was. We also didn't expect much because you get what you pay for and we didn't pay much. That being said, Red Roof is still a chain and should still have basic standards.

When my sister and I made reservations we asked for a quieter room away from the vending machines. Upon arrival we see that we were put in a room (111) right next to the lobby, coffee area, and laundry room. We didn't say anything about it then because we really just wanted to go to sleep. There were a few not good things about the room we noticed right away. There was a weird odor (smelled like a plumbing issue), there was no bathmat for the tub, no soap, and no shampoo/conditioner in the bathroom (there was one bar of soap by the sink). We figured maybe it was a Red Roof thing. But, there was also no light bulb on the wall sconce, the clock wasn't plugged in, and the heater/air conditioner was caked in dirt. That should just be a hotel standard thing.

When we climbed into bed we noticed there were stains and crumbs in both our sheets. We went to the front desk agent at the time and mentioned the sheets. She gave us a blank stare and said nothing. I told her we would like the sheets changed. She said okay and that was it. No apology, she barely acknowledged us. Still, I couldn't bother to care. I'd been traveling for 12 hours. I just wanted to go to sleep.

Throughout the night we're woken up repeatedly from all the noise in the lobby, coffee area, and laundry room. Once we're up for the day we go to the (same) front desk agent to ask for a change of rooms. I was hoping to not have to talk to her. We were again looked at as though we were inconveniencing her. We had to wait a few hours for the new room, but we get one on the second floor (209).

Walking in, this room was much better. It was cleaner and upon glancing in the bathroom, BEHOLD! The rooms are supposed to come with shampoo, an extra bar of soap, and a bathmat.

Sleep wise, it was still noisy. There wasn't anything that could be done at that point. We simply had noisy neighbors and the walls and floors were thin because we could hear every step our upstairs neighbors took. We bought ear plugs.

What was interesting about this day is after we stepped out of the hotel we left the service sign on the door. When we returned that evening we find that only one bed is randomly made and the other is not. There was no reason for why this should have been. We didn't leave a note or items on the bed so it should have been changed. We got fresh towels, new garbage, but we didn't get washcloths. At that point we just laughed at our misfortune but couldn't be bothered to complain.

Regarding the front desk agent we dealt with: I've never come across such an unprofessional agent from a hotel chain. I worked as a front desk agent for three years. I know what it's like so I almost never complain, but she just gave awful service the entire time we were there! Little-to-no acknowledgement, had a sloppy appearance (long hair constantly in her face, jacket hanging off her shoulder), never offered suggestions, never apologized, never smiled. When we went to check out (with her, of course) she just took our card keys and said, "okay." Nothing else.

I feel like I'm reviewing a completely different property than what others have mentioned, but this was the reality of our stay on the weekend of April 26th.

Oh, there was one saving grace I do need to mention. When we complained about the stained sheets the woman who changed them did apologize and did ask if we needed anything else. I think she was a manager or housekeeping supervisor. I wish we had dealt with her the whole stay because she was professional.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I was looking for a last minute hotel in Corpus Christi. While this location isn't in the best (or worst) area of town, it is fenced on three sides, you gain access through the interior, the grounds are well maintained, very clean and welcoming. I called ahead because I was travelling alone and wanted to feel safe. Emily put me in a room on the ground floor near the front desk so I would feel more at ease. The service was awesome!

Room Tip: If you are traveling alone, call ahead and they will do everything possible to make you feel safe an...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo