“Very poor restaurant”

Hilton Garden Inn Corpus Christi
Ranked #11 of 79 Hotels in Corpus Christi
Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

The rooms in the hotel were nice and up to the standards of the Hilton brand, however, the restaurant was way below standards. Breakfast was manned by only one server with most of the tables occupied (around 20). For three days there was no sugar for coffee or tea. Both of my evening meals (both fish) were overdone and the other patrons also had the same experience on earlier days.

• Stayed: February 2013
WWEchols, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Corpus Christi, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry the restaurant service and food quality didn’t meet your expectations. At our property, we want to serve fresh, tasty dishes with the caring touches of home. We work continually to improve our menu offerings, and your comments will help us improve. We hope you’ll stay with us the next time you’re in the area and let us know how we’re doing.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Corpus Christi

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was our first stay at this hotel. Upon arrivel I was greeted by Sheila at the front desk, she couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. We stayed for about a week everyone at the front desk, Ampy, Sheila and Alysa, were very very friendly and helpful in every way.
Morning breakfast was also excellent, greeted with a big smile and a " Good Morning" from Azhrya. She is an excellent server along with Rea, who was there on few mornings. Food was served promply and hot, no complaints at all.
Housekeeping keep our room in the most spectacular, everyday it was cleaned, fresh towels, coffee and everything in place, never had to ask for a thing. My compliments to our two housekeepers Bernice and Lori. Who also greeted us each morning with a smile.
Most of all a speical thanks to Alisa ( who was off on marturinty leave ) for suggesting we stay at this hotel.
All in all this has been one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Lynn F, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Corpus Christi, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Thank you for writing a review of our wonderful hotel. We appreciate hearing the comments and reviews of all our guests and view all responses as an opportunity to improve our services and product. The entire staff and management of the Hilton Garden Inn Corpus Christi is committed to excellence and constantly strives to provide 100% guest satisfaction. If we have failed to accomplish this, I would like to invite you to contact me personally.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

We have been staying at this hotel for the last year. At first it was good, but suddenly the food was starting to get worse, they have approximately 60% of what’s on the menu and the cook doesn’t know how to serve it. If you order something they bring you your food and it’s cold. AND THAT’S A GUARANTEE!!! They don’t stock liquor, they ALWAYS run out. At least both bartenders are nice and polite. Beds and pillows are VERY uncomfortable, housekeeping “forget” to leave clean towels.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
WWEchols, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Corpus Christi, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel and restaurant. I understand that you were disappointed with your recent experiences, I have brought your comment to our culinary team and we are currently reworking our offerings with your recommendations in mind. The next time you are in area we would love to have you come back to see the changes we are putting into place. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

The first time my husband used the shower, he ended up slipping out onto his back onto the bathroom floor. We notified the front desk and housekeeping did finally leave a bathmat in our bathroom. I am really surprised that this is not a standard item since the bathtubs do not have anti-slip strips.

The hook on the back of the bathroom door was hanging on by one screw when we checked in on Thursday night. My husband brought it down to the front desk on Friday morning. The front desk said it would be fixed that day. It was never repaired during our stay, even though we reminded the front desk daily.

Then there was the coffee bar. We used it the first day. Unfortunately, housekeeping could not remember to fill it. Finally they did drop off more coffee but no sugar or cream.

On the fourth day of our stay we left the towels on the floor (according to the directions in the bathroom). Housekeeping took the towels but neglected to leave clean ones. (Now I wonder how many other areas of our room were really cleaned.)

Then there was the issue of the smell in the room. At 10:00 pm on Friday night when we returned to our room after being out for the day, we encountered a really funky smell (to me it smelled like sewage). I called the front desk and spoke with Shelia. She said that she would send maintenance up immediately. After 15 minutes of no one showing up, I called the front desk again and spoke with Shelia again. She said they were on their way and would be there in a few minutes. After another 10 minutes, I called her again. She put me on hold and I guess she called maintenance on the radio. They finally showed up about 10 minutes later (after waiting 35 minutes after the original call). All maintenance could do is put deodorizer down the bathroom sink and bathtub, which just made the stench worse. Shelia was dropping a razor off at the room down the hall from us. She came to investigate the smell and could not even go into the room. She said she was going down to the front desk and would call us in a few minutes. We never received a call from her. (We would have moved to another hotel, however, we paid in full to receive the discount and this hotel could not refund any of our money. Since we paid $635.00 for our week stay, we stayed expecting to be moved. NO ROOMS WERE AVAILABLE!)
At this point, I was really angry. My husband turned off the A/C (thinking it might be coming from the A/C filters) and we closed the bathroom door and left our room door open. After about 15 minutes the room became too warm so we turned the A/C back on. It seemed to blow the smell out of the room and we were able to sleep in the room since it appeared we would not be moved. (If I had not prepaid for this room online, we would have left the hotel.)

The next day when we got up, the bathroom still smelled. When we left that morning, we kept the bathroom door closed (we were not concerned about housekeeping going in, we were lucky they made our bed). Upon returning that evening, the room smelled fine and the smell was confined to the bathroom. My husband spoke with maintenance that evening as they brought us some clean towels that housekeeping forgot to leave.

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel. Staff is unprofessional.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BarbaraB85365
Lynn F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Corpus Christi, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2013

Reviewed December 28, 2012

On a whim I decided to go to Corpus Christi in Christmas day. I checked into the Hilton Garden Inn without any reservation and without any trouble. The stay was without problems. The restaurant was open and had good food. Breakfast has well prepared omelettes and fresh fruit. The room was clean, comfortable and quiet. Despite the holiday, there appeared to be many staff members around and were always immediately available. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. (I only wish they could have made it a bit warmer in Corpus Christi but that was not in their hands). This is one of the Lodgenet TV hotels where you can control the TV with your smartphone. Nice touch. The location is perfect with easy access to the highway to the beach and is set far off the road so that it is very quiet.

Room Tip: 3rd floor east side is the smoking section. Do not get a room here if you don't smoke because t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank usndoc

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our wonderful hotel. I am happy to hear all of the positive comments about our hotel and staff. The entire staff at the Hilton Garden Inn is committed to excellence in our service and product, and we constantly strive to provide 100% guest satisfaction 100% of the time. If I can be of assistance to you, please contact me directly at your convenience. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Corpus Christi.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Staff are friendly, rooms are clean, quiet, and comfortable. I have stayed here on 2 different occations and was very pleased both times. I traveled in Feburary 2012 with my mom and then December with my husband to attend a college function at Texas A&M University Corpus Christi. The hotel is about 3 miles from the campus, and was easy to get to. The only down side to this hotel is that it is not on the ocean front.

Room Tip: I stayed on the bottom floor near the work-out room and it was very quiet. I got a great night's...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MLuttrell123

Reviewed December 24, 2012

I'm Hilton Diamond and stay at Hilton Gardens all over the southwest. If I could change just one thing about HGI's, it would be that they get rid of all those AWFUL "Select Discomfort" beds. I don't know which master salesman sold the chain on these horrible beds, but I hope he got his commission check and ran with it. The beds have a "dial" on the side that allegedly changes the firmness of the bed, but it does little to change the weird rock-hard feel of these beds. On top of that, this particular chain's beds are very worn, so it's rock-hard around the edges with a big dip on whatever side is closest to the bathroom (where everyone sits down on it).

I've been staying at this hotel off and on for years for work travel. It was fairly nice 3 years ago but has been sliding downward lately. It still beats most of the CC flea-bag hotels but it's not as nice as it used to be. I see that someone is building a brand-new hotel right next door, and this will undoubtedly steal the HGI's business and send it right down the tubes into oblivion.

The toilets don't flush unless you hold down the handle for 10 min; they're stingy with the washcloths; grimy carpets and furniture; pillows like a half-full bag of wads of cotton. The usual stuff.

Service has improved lately, since the new hotel is now looming next door.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Beachiz
BLIsrael, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Corpus Christi, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. We have changed ownership and am very proud to say that the hotel is improving on a daily basis. I would like to invite you to stay with us again and see the improvements we are making. The hotel will be going through a major renovation this year and will be even better.

Regards,