“Very inconsistent”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Corpus Christi, Texas
“Very inconsistent”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Have visited this restaurant quite a few times in the last year. You just never know what you will get. My last visit was on 6-1-14. It was a Sunday at lunch time. There was no wait for a table. We were seated promptly. Our server came to take our drink order. So far so good, she returned with our iced teas and took our order. She promised to bring bread back to the table. Our salads arrived and still no bread. The bread is about the one thing I can always count on. So was really looking forward to it. We had almost finished our salads by the time the bread arrived. Not a huge deal but it would of been nice to be told why the long wait.

I had ordered the fried shrimp. Can't tell you 100% sure if the menu said "fresh". Guess I assumed that being a nicer type of restaurant it would be fresh, plus being on the coast it seems like it would be easier to obtain. The shrimp tasted like it was frozen. I have eaten better shrimp at cheaper restaurants.

I have ordered quite a few different items during the last 6 months. At times the food is amazing and I can't wait to go back. But there are also times I think to myself, "why do I want to go back". It is basically rolling the dice. Just don't know what you will get.

Service on Sunday was average. Asked for extra condiments. They never arrived. Took quite awhile for our food to arrive at the table. For the prices of the menu, I expect superb service and awesome food. Unfortunately this is just not the case with Niko's.

• Visited June 2014

Corpus Christi, Texas
“Mostly a great place to go”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

I went here with my family to eat. My food, chicken fried steak, was huge and delicious. However, my dad got a steak. First it wasn't cooked properly so we returned it. Then it came back and was so tough that he could barely eat it. The rest of the meal was really good, but his steak was a BIG disappointment.

• Visited December 2013
Kingsville, Texas, United States
“What a way to go!!”
Reviewed May 18, 2014

The kids kept telling us to go to this restaurant, so we went last week about 4:15. Not crowded. We were seated immediately. Instantly the waiter was there to get out drink order. In a very short time our drinks arrived with warm pumpernickel bread and butter. The wife ordered fried shrimp and baked potato, salad with ranch dressing. I chose the coconut shrimp with broccoli and salad with blue cheese. The shrimp were something like 16 tails to the pound, so they were large enough to enjoy. My shrimp had a crisp outside and the coconut dip was the best I have ever had. The salads were cold and crisp, my salad dressing had chunks of cheese, so it was not a bland, runny item that you get in most restaurants. The waiter checked on at least a half-dozen times about refills and how the meal was going. Overall, it was a great dining experience and we will return there often.

• Visited May 2014
Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
“Ok nothing to write home about”
Reviewed April 28, 2014 via mobile

I was told by the hotel to come here. I looked up the reviews and honestly I was a little nervous about it.

I had the chicken and shrimp pasta. Why? Well I had read the reviews on the steaks and honestly coming from KC I didn't want to gamble on a bad steak.

The house salad I as with the green goddess dressing was ok. The dressing was the highlight. Lettuce seemed old and not crispy like it was fresh.

Pasta was good with a little spicy kick which I loved.

Service started good and ended just ok.

So---take a gamble or pass and go someplace else.

Houston, Texas
“Unexpectedly excellent”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Being In Corpus for business, we had few business meals; this was by far the best.
The place looks like any other steak house in a commercial area, receiving staff pretty poor, so I was not expecting any special.
Well the waiter was smart and efficient, she definitely give me good confidence, the NY steak was perfectly cooked as I asked for, no more no less as it should be. Again the waiter was on top, always timely refill for beer or wine.
cake was again of quality you would not expect in a normal restaurant like this, super fresh and tasty.
Definitely I will be back whenever in Corpus. I Highly recommend this place.

• Visited April 2014