“You are paying for the view not the food”

Republic of Texas Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Republic of Texas Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Twigg Street
Houston, Texas
“You are paying for the view not the food”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Dined here a couple of Saturday evenings ago. Had a 7:30pm reservation. We were well-greeted and promptly seated. Unfortunately, we were given a lower level side table with only a partial view. Service was good--no knock on the service staff. We had 3 courses: starters, mains and dessert. It took 90 minutes to complete the meal. Had the crab fondue and carnitas appetizers. The fondue was very salty, but otherwise good. The carnitas were puzzling--the menu description never mentioned that these were fried.

I had a porterhouse and my wife had the lobster tail. My porterhouse was very rare in the center (I ordered it medium). The steak was overly-fatty and we are not talking marbling here--it was poorly trimmed. For the price, I really expected the best steak ever, but here you don't get what you pay for. My wife said her lobster was dried out--she didn't finish it.

Dessert was average. Each dessert is $10--I had the pecan pie and my wife had bananas foster. The bananas foster was ignited at our table, but the bananas turned out to be overripe. My pie was good--the crust tasted homemade.

After settling our bill (we thought), we decided to pop into the bar for after dinner drinks. I was surprised to see small children in the bar area. I dispute a previous review that the scotch collection was extraordinary--they had several brands, but only one bottle of each maker. While tring to enjoy my drink at the bar, I was disturbed by our waitress who had chased us down to inform us that they had neglected to charge us for dessert downstairs and would we please pay now. This was very embarrassing and intrusive to us--making us look like deadbeats. We settled our bills--dessert and bar--and left. On the ride downstairs, we were accompanied by two girls from the bar that both appeared to be around 14 and both obviously intoxicated. We have no idea how they got into this state, but it reflects badly on both the hotel and the restaurant to have these children wandering around in this condition.

1 Thank madhattertx

Corpus Christi, Texas
“Wonderful view for a special dinner!”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

If you are looking for some place special the Republic is the place to go. An outstanding view of the bay from the top of the Omni Hotel. Try their ribeye steak and scalloped potatoes.. .. it's pricey but worth every penny.

Visited March 2012
Amarillo, Texas
“Great Scotch collection.”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

The bar tenders were very friendly and knowledgeable. They have a wide variety of Scotch whiskeys, one of the better selections I've seen. All of this with a breathtaking view of the Corpus Christi Bay.

San Antonio, Texas
“Great Food and a Great View!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Incredible view!!!! And the food was superb. Fine dining with a panoramic view of the bay front. A bit expensive - but a very nice treat if you have it in your travel budget.

Houston, Texas
“Amazing food and view!!!”
Reviewed July 5, 2012

This was an amazing restaurant. The view is to die for and the food was excellent. Everything is a la carte but the portions are so large that you can share. They have an excellent wine list and the cocktails were delicious. Our steaks melted in our mouths. I definitely recommend for a special occasion.